What would you have done in this situation?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I think that driver is an outstanding citizen. You missed a great opportunity to have a new bff. He saw to it that your wallet was returned, and he got you away from a fight that could have gotten you killed. He willingly went with you, because he hadn't done anything, and probably knew that you were still acting the fool. Everyone on his route knows him, and he doesn't need to have HIS reputation go down because of some gringo.

All three of you knew what happened. Thief honorably left you with the wallet and documents. Driver got you to the police station. You created a scene, and attempted to make both driver and passenger lose face in front of a crowd. Do not knowingly make a Dominican lose face, even one that's cheated you. You involved the Dominican police in a matter of $100? The Dominican police? $100? If driver's bro-in law was the captain, you could have easily been the one in jail overnight.

The crowd, they like to see a good fight. They were hoping for a fight.

Welcome to DR1, so glad that you are safe, and asking how to handle things next time. Live and learn.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
It has been suggested that I demand that the bank make good on the money taken, but I was the one who walked off and left my card in the damn machine.
Der Fish

You should have since it was an accident, you didn't leave it on purpose.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I think that driver is an outstanding citizen. You missed a great opportunity to have a new bff. He saw to it that your wallet was returned, and he got you away from a fight that could have gotten you killed. He willingly went with you, because he hadn't done anything, and probably knew that you were still acting the fool. Everyone on his route knows him, and he doesn't need to have HIS reputation go down because of some gringo.

All three of you knew what happened. Thief honorably left you with the wallet and documents. Driver got you to the police station. You created a scene, and attempted to make both driver and passenger lose face in front of a crowd. Do not knowingly make a Dominican lose face, even one that's cheated you. You involved the Dominican police in a matter of $100? The Dominican police? $100? If driver's bro-in law was the captain, you could have easily been the one in jail overnight.

The crowd, they like to see a good fight. They were hoping for a fight.

Welcome to DR1, so glad that you are safe, and asking how to handle things next time. Live and learn.

yea.. the driver was a good guy... or then again, maybe he just wanted to make sure the taxi fare got paid. LOL

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
And the second thing about the police and the bribe I'm just curious if you think that would have worked?

Would be fun to start a new thread, when, where and how to bribe a Dominican policeman?

Let's see, you think you should lie to a policemen to force someone who may or may not have stolen from you to pay a bigger bribe to that policeman?

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
Hi,
here's the story: I was in a carrito alone on the back seat. There was another passenger on the passenger seat. I got out and noticed that I somehow forgot my wallet inside of the car. I jumped on the next mototaxi and followed the carrito. It took some time to reach the carrito since I did not notice it right away.
I told the driver to stop and he did. I told him that I forgot my wallet, opened the back door and there it was. I was pretty happy so I just took it and the driver drove off immediately. Then I noticed that my money was missing (100 USD and 400 Pesos). The rest was still there. I followed and stopped the carrito again.
I asked him where my money was. He said he doesn't know anything and confirmed the fact that after me noone else enter the car on the back seat... So it was pretty obvious. The guy on the passenger seat got out of the car and got aggressive asking if I was calling him a thief... It was going back and forth a little because both the driver and the passenger said that they have nothing to do with it. One reason they told me was, if they had stolen it for real they would have thrown away the wallet and would not have left it in the car, which is not a valid argument.
It was at night and there were some dominicans coming over, listening to the argument. I was telling everyone was happening, not saying that the actually stole it, I just asked everyone how 100 dollars could just disappear. Not a single guy said "well, they obviously stole it!" they rather did not say anything or even said "well, be happy that your ID and other stuff is still in there". sure, I am happy, but it's in my opinion very sad that no-one was willing to help me at all in this totally obvious situation, except for the mototaxi driver, who was my opinion...
Well, I wanted to go to the police with both, but the passenger just left while I was talking to the driver. Finally we (the driver and me) drove together to the police station. As I expected they just told me that I was my fault, since I left my wallet inside. Sure it was my fault at some point, but since it was so obvious that they (the driver and passenger) took the money, they could have done something. They driver confirmed the story as I told it (I was the only passenger on the backseat and after me noone entered nor left the vehicle), but of course always said that he had nothing to do with it.
My idea now was, assuming that the police here is quite corrupt, that they did not want ME to help, because they knew that they would get some money from the driver.
If that is true, I assume that the driver knew that this was going to happen. Therefore I had the idea that I might have gotten at least the 50 USD the driver took, by telling him on the way, that I would say on the police station that there were 300 USD in my wallet! This way he would have to bribe the police according to the amount of 150 USD stolen, not 50...
What do you think?

Just to make this clear: I'm not crying or very angry because I lost 100 dollars. Of course it's sad, but what actually makes me sad is that they stole at all in the first place and that no one of the dominicans coming to see what was going on were helping. Why do they support thiefs?
And the second thing about the police and the bribe I'm just curious if you think that would have worked?

The bystanders probably didn't defend you because they didn't know who to accuse. If it were one person in the car then it's more obvious. Best not to accuse someone without actually seeing them take it, people get upset especially if they are innocent. I know it's hard to do, it happend to me but my money was inside a room of a house where many of the in law family walks in & sometimes stays.. Interesting that the bastard didn't take my CC cards either, nor the passport. Seems like thieves have no use for passports (glad for that!)

Last edited:

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
yea.. the driver was a good guy... or then again, maybe he just wanted to make sure the taxi fare got paid. LOL

I just don't see this as a crime duo robbing people. Dude forgot his wallet, passenger got aggressive when confronted and left the scene. He's your thief. Driver would have never stopped if he knew about it.

But thinking of the fare, how did the motoconcho driver get paid? or did he?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Wow, I would have been THRILLED to get my wallet back.. Canceling and ordering all new stuff just sucks!!! I cannot believe you are complaining.. You are VERY lucky and we are all extremely jealous ;)

I STUPIDLY left my cell phone in a taxi on my way to Mega Centro.... I realized it while food shopping in Jumbo.. I finished my purchase and had to take a taxi outside to get home so that I could call for my phone.. what really urked me was I do a big recharge from ezetop about 1x a month.. I put like 30 bucks on it.. I had JUST done that before I left the house.. but honestly the phone is a POS.. but the photos and my contacts was what I would miss.. Long story short, taxi driver admitted to having the phone but was on the other side of the city and didn't know when he could bring it back.. :D I realized he was using my minutes up before he brought it back ;)

I kept thinking.. Ok how long is it going to take for him to use them all up, I just want my phone.... I was praying he was calling people on different networks so the money would go faster.. I didn't care about the minutes as much as I wanted my phone back.. so you, my friend, are one lucky person in my eyes! :)

Jennifer

PS--Before you ask how I realized he was using my minutes up? I called my phone and it went right to voicemail.. I did that for about 2 hours, and then by the luck of the draw I got through and he answered.. and my thought was correct.. my phone came to me with 26 pesos left.. lol... I never said ANYTHING to the taxi driver, just thank you and I paid him a fare for bringing me my phone. He declined at first but I insisted.. I knew already my minutes werent there.

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
Hi,
here's the story: I was in a carrito alone on the back seat. There was another passenger on the passenger seat. I got out and noticed that I somehow forgot my wallet inside of the car. I jumped on the next mototaxi and followed the carrito. It took some time to reach the carrito since I did not notice it right away.
I told the driver to stop and he did. I told him that I forgot my wallet, opened the back door and there it was. I was pretty happy so I just took it and the driver drove off immediately. Then I noticed that my money was missing (100 USD and 400 Pesos). The rest was still there. I followed and stopped the carrito again.
I asked him where my money was. He said he doesn't know anything and confirmed the fact that after me noone else enter the car on the back seat... So it was pretty obvious. The guy on the passenger seat got out of the car and got aggressive asking if I was calling him a thief... It was going back and forth a little because both the driver and the passenger said that they have nothing to do with it. One reason they told me was, if they had stolen it for real they would have thrown away the wallet and would not have left it in the car, which is not a valid argument.
It was at night and there were some dominicans coming over, listening to the argument. I was telling everyone was happening, not saying that the actually stole it, I just asked everyone how 100 dollars could just disappear. Not a single guy said "well, they obviously stole it!" they rather did not say anything or even said "well, be happy that your ID and other stuff is still in there". sure, I am happy, but it's in my opinion very sad that no-one was willing to help me at all in this totally obvious situation, except for the mototaxi driver, who was my opinion...
Well, I wanted to go to the police with both, but the passenger just left while I was talking to the driver. Finally we (the driver and me) drove together to the police station. As I expected they just told me that I was my fault, since I left my wallet inside. Sure it was my fault at some point, but since it was so obvious that they (the driver and passenger) took the money, they could have done something. They driver confirmed the story as I told it (I was the only passenger on the backseat and after me noone entered nor left the vehicle), but of course always said that he had nothing to do with it.
My idea now was, assuming that the police here is quite corrupt, that they did not want ME to help, because they knew that they would get some money from the driver.
If that is true, I assume that the driver knew that this was going to happen. Therefore I had the idea that I might have gotten at least the 50 USD the driver took, by telling him on the way, that I would say on the police station that there were 300 USD in my wallet! This way he would have to bribe the police according to the amount of 150 USD stolen, not 50...
What do you think?

Just to make this clear: I'm not crying or very angry because I lost 100 dollars. Of course it's sad, but what actually makes me sad is that they stole at all in the first place and that no one of the dominicans coming to see what was going on were helping. Why do they support thiefs?

To be honest, I would have been happy to get my wallet back, Money is easier to replace, especially when abroad. Yes I would be angry also, but i Think more at myself for leaving it. Just my opinion.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wow, I would have been THRILLED to get my wallet back.. Canceling and ordering all new stuff just sucks!!! I cannot believe you are complaining.. You are VERY lucky and we are all extremely jealous ;)

I STUPIDLY left my cell phone in a taxi on my way to Mega Centro.... I realized it while food shopping in Jumbo.. I finished my purchase and had to take a taxi outside to get home so that I could call for my phone.. what really urked me was I do a big recharge from ezetop about 1x a month.. I put like 30 bucks on it.. I had JUST done that before I left the house.. but honestly the phone is a POS.. but the photos and my contacts was what I would miss.. Long story short, taxi driver admitted to having the phone but was on the other side of the city and didn't know when he could bring it back.. :D I realized he was using my minutes up before he brought it back ;)

I kept thinking.. Ok how long is it going to take for him to use them all up, I just want my phone.... I was praying he was calling people on different networks so the money would go faster.. I didn't care about the minutes as much as I wanted my phone back.. so you, my friend, are one lucky person in my eyes! :)

Jennifer

PS--Before you ask how I realized he was using my minutes up? I called my phone and it went right to voicemail.. I did that for about 2 hours, and then by the luck of the draw I got through and he answered.. and my thought was correct.. my phone came to me with 26 pesos left.. lol... I never said ANYTHING to the taxi driver, just thank you and I paid him a fare for bringing me my phone. He declined at first but I insisted.. I knew already my minutes werent there.

the guy is not even worth thanking. he made out like a bandit, using up all your time. then, you paid him to bring it back. as you said, the phone was a pos, so he probably would have had no success trying to sell it, since, if it ain't a blackberry, Dominicans would have had no interest in it.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

I have two cell phones. Yesterday morning I noticed one was missing. I called the number while I was in my home and it went right to voice mail. I went out and to take care of some things and called the missing phone several times and it went to voice mail. When I got home I called it again and a man picked up.

He lived in neighborhood and had found the phone on the sidewalk. I went over to his place and picked it up. He didn't ask for money and all the minutes were on the phone. We had a funny chat; like most people in the neighborhood he knows me by sight from seeing me walk my dogs.

Later in the day while walking my dogs the phone, a low end pos Huawei, fell out of a hole in my pocket.

Things to do today:

Sew up the pocket*

Back up the contacts on the phone (accumulated over years)

*I've read Thoreau. I'm self reliant. :lick:

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
Therefore I had the idea that I might have gotten at least the 50 USD the driver took, by telling him on the way, that I would say on the police station that there were 300 USD in my wallet! This way he would have to bribe the police according to the amount of 150 USD stolen, not 50...
What do you think?

Then you are as corrupt as the police...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Therefore I had the idea that I might have gotten at least the 50 USD the driver took, by telling him on the way, that I would say on the police station that there were 300 USD in my wallet! This way he would have to bribe the police according to the amount of 150 USD stolen, not 50...
What do you think?

Then you are as corrupt as the police...

I agree.By him saying that it does not make his story believeable.Who's to say this really happened?

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
When my BOA account dropped below 2,000USD they started charging me so I went to town and emptied my account. I dropped my bulging wallet in the gua gua. When I had walked back across town I went into a shop and realised that I had lost the wallet so I rushed back to the gua gua station. The cobrador was holding my wallet and he told me to count the money as it was all there. I gave him 100 pesos and left. The drivers weren't very friendly after that so I gave the guy 1000pesos more.
I bumped into the cobrador at Xmas in a bar. I picked up his tab at the end of the night.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When my BOA account dropped below 2,000USD they started charging me so I went to town and emptied my account. I dropped my bulging wallet in the gua gua. When I had walked back across town I went into a shop and realised that I had lost the wallet so I rushed back to the gua gua station. The cobrador was holding my wallet and he told me to count the money as it was all there. I gave him 100 pesos and left. The drivers weren't very friendly after that so I gave the guy 1000pesos more.
I bumped into the cobrador at Xmas in a bar. I picked up his tab at the end of the night.

100 pesos for securing your bulging wallet?