When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I'm sure the US can approve a visa waiver even these days, ESTA is valid for two years. It still doesn't guarantee entry to the US. Those who travel to / through the US on ESTA hold a passport from one of the visa waiver countries, most European countries but also Japan, South Korea, New Zealand. Europeans traveling back to Europe were probably considered repatriated, brought home. Trump closed the border for regular flights from the European Union and the UK a while back.

Right. I would not myself try to fly to the US, under ESTA the visa waiwer program, during this. Not either to continue on to Europe. I am prepared to wait until later in the year and prefer direct to Europe from the DR if possible.

Reactions: tht

David B

Aug 31, 2017

My bad, Johne, JetBlue has a flight scheduled from JFK to POP Monday, May 4; regardless, you're probably right about no flights actually flying until much later in the month.

Clandestino

Feb 19, 2013
Long time viewer. Appreciate the contributions to the site Members make. Thought I would make one. United sent me an email tonight cancelling my flight booked for MAY 23 out of EWR to POP. MAY 23 to STI or SDQ are not available on the UA website. Emailed message below:

Important information about your upcoming trip

The impact of the coronavirus outbreak has been felt around the globe by individuals, families, communities and companies. With the challenges brought on by these difficult and uncertain times, travel has been severely affected. Unfortunately, your flight has been canceled. To view your options, please visit the United app, united.com or call 1-800-UNITED-1. We appreciate your patience during this time and look forward to welcoming you back on board in the future. On behalf of all of us at United, be well

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Long time viewer. Appreciate the contributions to the site Members make. Thought I would make one. United sent me an email tonight cancelling my flight booked for MAY 23 out of EWR to POP. MAY 23 to STI or SDQ are not available on the UA website. Emailed message below:

Important information about your upcoming trip

The impact of the coronavirus outbreak has been felt around the globe by individuals, families, communities and companies. With the challenges brought on by these difficult and uncertain times, travel has been severely affected. Unfortunately, your flight has been canceled. To view your options, please visit the United app, united.com or call 1-800-UNITED-1. We appreciate your patience during this time and look forward to welcoming you back on board in the future. On behalf of all of us at United, be well
[/Q I have booked Santiago sept 1 to JFK,i pray by then,things are normal.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Update on United Airlines. We were supposed to fly home this Saturday. I had been unable to cancel our tickets online, and trouble reaching them by phone. I was told they were only giving vouchers.

I called early today, before 7 am, and once I finally got a live person it went very smoothly. I told them I wanted a refund, they offered alternatives (future flight up to 24 months, or a voucher anyone in my family could use), and I politely but firmly requested a refund. He agreed, and we should see our refund “between 7 and 21 business days”.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Posting from mobile.
Doesnt appear to be a
"cancel" option when responding
thread so you get this complaint
instead.

Jan 3, 2003
+How long after it goes through (and the DR open) until tourists are going to come back in mass - not the hard cores that will always come, but the general masses

The difference between the sane, rational, measured crowd and the insane 17th century Pirates who throw all caution to the wind. LOL

The DR economy collapse continues. They will open up to the world way before it is prudent and safe to do so.

It is incumbent on each traveler to look out for their own welfare. No one traveling to the DR should look to or expect any guidance from the government.

• Wow
Reactions: El Rey de Mangu
Sep 22, 2009
The difference between the sane, rational, measured crowd and the insane 17th century Pirates who throw all caution to the wind. LOL

The DR economy collapse continues. They will open up to the world way before it is prudent and safe to do so.

It is incumbent on each traveler to look out for their own welfare. No one traveling to the DR should look to or expect any guidance from the government.

Well, one thing I agree with here is that it is up to each individual to look after their own welfare. Travellers or residents alike.

Reactions: Big and aarhus

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
Update on United Airlines. We were supposed to fly home this Saturday. I had been unable to cancel our tickets online, and trouble reaching them by phone. I was told they were only giving vouchers.

I called early today, before 7 am, and once I finally got a live person it went very smoothly. I told them I wanted a refund, they offered alternatives (future flight up to 24 months, or a voucher anyone in my family could use), and I politely but firmly requested a refund. He agreed, and we should see our refund “between 7 and 21 business days”.
Airlines are now required to provide refunds: https://www.travelandleisure.com/ai...tion-air-travel-refunds-mandatory-coronavirus

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Yesterday westjet cancelled all May flights. I didn't hear this from them of course. I did my daily check online and saw my flight was cancelled

Westjet had previously announced that all international flights were cancelled until June 4th. They've also announced layoffs, and I would imagine that they will offer reduced flights when they do open up.

At this point, I would imainge Samana airport flights from Canada won't be back until the end of this year.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
At some point very soon economic activity has to be given permission to resume in full or the economic ruin will be worse than the toll of the virus. We all know many out of work and many businesses teetering on failure if quarantines continue. But I personally know no one with the virus.
Having said that the last thing I would consider is getting on a aluminum tube with recycled air just for a brief vacation.
And I'm betting most people feel like me so tourism will be the last sector to recover.
And women aren't going to go on vacation without being able to get their hair and nails done or buy a new suitcase full of clothes so they aren't coming till that's back in full

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
At some point very soon economic activity has to be given permission to resume in full or the economic ruin will be worse than the toll of the virus. We all know many out of work and many businesses teetering on failure if quarantines continue. But I personally know no one with the virus.
Having said that the last thing I would consider is getting on a aluminum tube with recycled air just for a brief vacation.
And I'm betting most people feel like me so tourism will be the last sector to recover.
And women aren't going to go on vacation without being able to get their hair and nails done or buy a new suitcase full of clothes so they aren't coming till that's back in full
Economies can be rebuilt. You'll never be able to bring back grandma. Keep businesses closed until the infections are on the downward curve.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well, a couple comments: The "aluminum tube" theory I think is flawed. The airlines have taken precautions, ie; spacing, sanitizing, HEPA filters, and BTW I haven't read any data that says IF you fly you die. One that was posted here last week stated he thought his friend got the virus on a flight back to Canada.. And as far as hair and nails. They will do it at home just like from the days of Cleopatra. Clothes are being ordered on line since the age of computers.
There will never be a return to the "old" but I think there will be a return to "back in the day...my mother always..."

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Infection numbers are still steadily climbing. Recovery numbers are encouraging but Inevitable. Something still wonky with the mortality numbers.

I see another extension of both the SOE and the curfew.

Until the numbers of new infections drops steadily over a two week period, there is no opportunity to open anything unless you have given up

Reactions: austriaco

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
You wanted to say that finally that one country named USA which has not yet required airelines to pay refunds finally has catched up with the rest of the world where that is the normal case. See my posting weeks ago about mandatory repaiments for all European airlines.

sorry there is 200 countries in the world and although this never made it into gringos heads there exists more then only usa.

it is happening all the time here so I thought maybe I can get some of you thinking there is more countries out there then just the US

Reactions: drstock

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You wanted to say that finally that one country named USA which has not yet required airelines to pay refunds finally has catched up with the rest of the world where that is the normal case. See my posting weeks ago about mandatory repaiments for all European airlines.

sorry there is 200 countries in the world and although this never made it into gringos heads there exists more then only usa.

it is happening all the time here so I thought maybe I can get some of you thinking there is more countries out there then just the US
Thank you and you have made your point Over and over again just as you said. Many "gringos" don't care to put that in their head. Just saying.

Sep 22, 2009

Yeah, but they're just not as good

Reactions: austriaco and Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
http://mepyd.gob.do had a plan for re-opening the DR . But the plan was taken down. Neither May nor June was on that plan for flights entering the DR again, but that could change. Perhaps they will put a plan back up soon.

Jan 9, 2004

US Airlines are required to refund your money...........if they actually "cancel" a flight.

For example, just like an impending weather event, airlines allow people to change their flight at no cost, or receive an airline credit for a future flight. The smart flyers wanting a refund and not a credit............wait till the airline actually cancels. The airlines offering to allow changes to the schedule or credits to be used in the future prior to certain weather events is a service they hope people accept...............as it allows them to not issue an actual refund.

That has been standard operating procedure for years. They do not have to offer a refund if you cancel or you are allowed to change without penalty (prior to them cancelling).

You could have left it there citing what you believe to be the differences in airline policies..........but I see you could not resist an opportunity to also bash the US.

And not a darn thing in your post referencing when the DR will open for international travel.

It is my understanding you may own/operate a hotel in the DR.............if so, and if you care to provide the name of it, (after taking an appropriate ad)........I will be sure to inform others of your bias and to put it on my list to avoid.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JimmyGibbon
Status
Not open for further replies.