When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I hope this helps and answers some questions , my experience getting out ...

It was time to go back, been here over 100 days. I booked a flight on AA for June 4th, but after realized it was going to be canceled I booked a ferry flight form SDQ to Puerto Rico and then on to Miami.

Got a ride to the Hampton INN on Sunday. One of the few hotels open ($100.0, no food, pool or gym but comfy, brand new and 5 minutes to airport) and then 500 pesos next day to airport.

SDQ with weird. Only me and another 20 people in whole airport. Check in with Jet blue, immigration and pay my fine (4,000 peso) took 45 minutes. A walk in the park. Flight on time and 45 minutes later in Puerto Rico. Now the flight on google didn't show and when called said sold out but there were only 20 people, so if you wanted a seat you need to call. Said this flight is every Sunday.

Now in San Juan had a hour to catch my AA flight to MIA. Immigration took two minutes (empty) and I thought no problem. But as you exit a security social screening set up where they took your temp and then short interview. Still lots of time, but as I went upstairs the AA agent said the flight was already locked out already. 45 minutes, never heard of this?. So I had a Plan B, has a SW ticket at 4:30 to FLL (was only 45.00) and even upgraded for another 30 and then was able to go through security.

Now I was through security and had 3 hours to waste so walked over to my locked out AA flight, and guess what, still boarding. woooooo. But long wait list and people begging for a seat. I did my usual and stepped front like an ass (sorry, thats me) and held up my phone and yelled I have a ticket (was just my reservation). Guy looked at me, asked for ID and f I wanted isle or window?? Really. I was on and plane and was full BUT middle seats empty unless you were together. So flight was great. Now, would you rather be in business of economy with a empty seat next you. I never asked for a upgrade.

In retrospect I never should have talked to an AA agent, but walked through security with the the boarding pass on my phone. But I guess the new policy is to lock a fight now at 45 minutes out, rather than the usual 20.

Mia was scary, all the shops closed and zero (0) traffic out side, like a ghost town. My Lift was there in 4 minutes but alas downtown was going into curfew (shit another) for they just had riots and break ins at Bayview Park (area I live).

what a world relive in today, but I hope this info helps others and yes you can get out if you want ….

Reactions: cavok and etolw

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
Our American Airlines Flight on June 6th SDQ - Miami - Chicago has had the SDQ to Miami cancelled. Saw it online last night, but do you think AA has had the courtesy to let me know yet, NO. And they haven't cancelled the Miami - Chicago part of my ticket yet. I wonder how they think I'm supposed to get to Miami??? Did the DR Pres speak last night & has anything more been said about the airport opening. Trying to figure out best way to return to Chicago

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Our American Airlines Flight on June 6th SDQ - Miami - Chicago has had the SDQ to Miami cancelled. Saw it online last night, but do you think AA has had the courtesy to let me know yet, NO. And they haven't cancelled the Miami - Chicago part of my ticket yet. I wonder how they think I'm supposed to get to Miami??? Did the DR Pres speak last night & has anything more been said about the airport opening. Trying to figure out best way to return to Chicago
Airports can reopen on July 1 for passenger traffic under the current SOE plan. The president has emergency powers for 12 more days. He will probably continue the night time curfew but after the Senate approves the 12 day extension. Then the president will likely speak about the plans for the next 12 days. I doubt it will include opening anything ahead of schedule. They could open earlier if the next SOE is not approved. Lots of variables in play.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Maybe somebody did already post this... but just in case... A video how they plan to work at PUJ.

Scott18684

Jun 10, 2018
I have a flight for June 5 from Puerto Rico to Santiago not a citizen but if I can show I am undergoing regular treatment from a doctor and get medicine each month from the cancer center is there a provision to let me in? I saw an earlier post they are letting the flights in early June go but only for Dominican citizens, I am an American citizen but my wife is Dominican and daughter was born in Dominican Republic and I have utility bills in my name but no official resident status

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
1591029450623.png

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
JetBlue has a lot of flights scheduled out of SDQ - most every day. I think they cancel them if they don't have enough passengers going back on that day to make it worthwhile.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
In a conversation I am having with a lawyer who works in Santo Domingo I am finding that the enforcement of the multi-step reopening plan requires a State of Emergency. If the SOE is no longer approved by the DR Senate and Deputies, that plan goes away and everything can open the day of the expiration of the SOE . Here is what she just told me:

"with all due respect this (the 4 step plan being valid) is not true. I am a Dominican lawyer and work for the government trust me when I tell you he cannot continue the phases or curfew hours by decree. That's called a dictatorship.

Please read Law 42-01 articles 69, 149, 153. The President cannot maintain shops closed, limit in capacity, apply social distancing measures, and maintain airports closed through decree. Through a decree fundamental rights cannot be limited, but he can during a State of Emergency. In this nation a President cannot rule by Decree it is unconstitutional.

I am saying, its what our law states. By the 12th of of June if the State of Emergecy is not renewed then yes, everything is open. People were fast to jump on the wagon of "NO MORE SOE" without even reading out laws and Constitution and what that meant. You can disagree with it if you want, but what you are implying does not fit into our rule of law. We are not Venezuela to be ruling by Decree. People have lost their minds. You cannot EVER rule by Decree, especially when you limit fundamental rights. Don't forget the first lines of our Contitution "La Republica Dominicana es un Estado Social y Democratico de Derecho"."

I saw this the other day posted throughout several thread lines, but due to other obligations did not have the opportunity to respond properly.
It sounds as if your lawyer friend is either a current law student, or recent graduate of coursework and admission to practice law.
Very idealistic in regards to how things operate to say the least.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If the SOE is not extended, I think they'll find some way to approve some restrictions - like when airports will open.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

It was time to go back, been here over 100 days. I booked a flight on AA for June 4th, but after realized it was going to be canceled I booked a ferry flight form SDQ to Puerto Rico and then on to Miami.

Got a ride to the Hampton INN on Sunday. One of the few hotels open ($100.0, no food, pool or gym but comfy, brand new and 5 minutes to airport) and then 500 pesos next day to airport.

SDQ with weird. Only me and another 20 people in whole airport. Check in with Jet blue, immigration and pay my fine (4,000 peso) took 45 minutes. A walk in the park. Flight on time and 45 minutes later in Puerto Rico. Now the flight on google didn't show and when called said sold out but there were only 20 people, so if you wanted a seat you need to call. Said this flight is every Sunday.

Now in San Juan had a hour to catch my AA flight to MIA. Immigration took two minutes (empty) and I thought no problem. But as you exit a security social screening set up where they took your temp and then short interview. Still lots of time, but as I went upstairs the AA agent said the flight was already locked out already. 45 minutes, never heard of this?. So I had a Plan B, has a SW ticket at 4:30 to FLL (was only 45.00) and even upgraded for another 30 and then was able to go through security.

Now I was through security and had 3 hours to waste so walked over to my locked out AA flight, and guess what, still boarding. woooooo. But long wait list and people begging for a seat. I did my usual and stepped front like an ass (sorry, thats me) and held up my phone and yelled I have a ticket (was just my reservation). Guy looked at me, asked for ID and f I wanted isle or window?? Really. I was on and plane and was full BUT middle seats empty unless you were together. So flight was great. Now, would you rather be in business of economy with a empty seat next you. I never asked for a upgrade.

In retrospect I never should have talked to an AA agent, but walked through security with the the boarding pass on my phone. But I guess the new policy is to lock a fight now at 45 minutes out, rather than the usual 20.

Mia was scary, all the shops closed and zero (0) traffic out side, like a ghost town. My Lift was there in 4 minutes but alas downtown was going into curfew (shit another) for they just had riots and break ins at Bayview Park (area I live).

what a world relive in today, but I hope this info helps others and yes you can get out if you want ….

1591029925309.png

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

1591030010782.png

• Haha
Reactions: etolw

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

The poster singletravel answered your question 1 hour prior to your posting.
It seems you can take a Jet Blue flight from SDQ to Puerto Rico on Sundays.
Puerto Rico to Miami.
Miami to Chicago.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The poster singletravel answered your question 1 hour prior to your posting.
It seems you can take a Jet Blue flight from SDQ to Puerto Rico on Sundays.
Puerto Rico to Miami.
Miami to Chicago.
Goldenruler. Huh, mining company? Bitcoin energy saver?

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
If the SOE is not extended, I think they'll find some way to approve some restrictions - like when airports will open.

I assume the President can request an extension to the curfew only, or any other individual restriction he may like . The Senate and the Deputies will still have to approve it so it may not work very well. If any of them don't approve the SOE they won't approve a curfew only. As posted in another thread the constitution dictates the President can not rule by decree so he will need approval from the rest.

Feel free to shoot I don't vote.. my Cedula says "EXTRANJERO NO VOTA"

Reactions: aarhus
Status
Not open for further replies.