When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Reactions: ramesses and aarhus

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
Here is Rainieri article. He said if it does not open in July it should wait until December due to Covid 19 and hurricane season.

Tourism might not really get started but some of us who live there at least can return to our homes and life there. At least if they open the borders

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Tourism might not really get started but some of us who live there at least can return to our homes and life there. At least if they open the borders
I agree. They should look at the issue of legal residents with “Residencia” being allowed to travel into the DR. I am in the DR but technically now can’t travel to Europe to visit family and then come back to the DR before the border is open for visitors. I can see its not important for the overall economy as we are few in this situation but it should be a right we have. We did the paperwork to be here long term legally and have our home in the DR but we are not rewarded.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Agree. And continue to scare the hell out of the regular snowbirds on overstayed tourist visa.

They are illegal scumbags and should pay for it. As you all like to point out, they are doomed and criminals.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro
Sep 22, 2009
I agree. They should look at the issue of legal residents with “Residencia” being allowed to travel into the DR. I am in the DR but technically now can’t travel to Europe to visit family and then come back to the DR before the border is open for visitors. I can see its not important for the overall economy as we are few in this situation but it should be a right we have. We did the paperwork to be here long term legally and have our home in the DR but we are not rewarded.
John. You've been here a while. You should know better. And I really don't know what rights you are speaking of.

Jan 3, 2003
I'm dying to know once flights resume, how many tourists will be returning to frolic in the DR sun. I don't see an imaginable upsurge in tourism during the midst of a coronavirus pandemic.

To leave the biological safety of your immediate environment to venture into the viral unknown seems impossible. There's always a group that will throw caution to the wind though

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I'm dying to know once flights resume, how many tourists will be returning to frolic in the DR sun. I don't see an imaginable upsurge in tourism during the midst of a coronavirus pandemic.

To leave the biological safety of your immediate environment to venture into the viral unknown seems impossible. There's always a group that will throw caution to the wind though

I think PCG knows this and are wondering if its worth it right now.

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio

And if the typical tourist hotels and resorts aren’t open or ready where would they stay?

Sep 22, 2009

Well, It's my sincere hope that the scam virus keeps folks away safe in their homeland for as long as humanly possible.or as long as the PLD can hold out. Imagine that - they don't care about the crocks, dentures, waffle shops, gluten free or sex wax board broahs folks! boohoo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Agree. And continue to scare the hell out of the regular snowbirds on overstayed tourist visa.

They are illegal scumbags and should pay for it. As you all like to point out, they are doomed and criminals.
Classy.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Here is Rainieri article. He said if it does not open in July it should wait until December due to Covid 19 and hurricane season.

I just read the article, his tone is: Tourism must open in July because if not it would have to wait til December since it won't open in the middle of hurricane season. He says that the industry is ready with strict sanitary protocols and even mentioned that the virus was brought back mainly by returning Dominicans.

Seems to me, like he is strongly pushing for a july opening. I may be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Podemos zonificar y trabajar en base a protocolos que permitan el reinicio de la industria porque el otro problema que tenemos es que si nosotros no comenzamos de verdad el primero de julio, la industria no va abrir hasta diciembre porque viene la temporada de huracanes y nadie va abrir en agosto 15 en medio de la temporada de huracanes y en medio de la pandemia a tener un 5% de ocupación ni va a tener a todos tu personal”

“Los grandes contaminantes no fueron los turistas, fueron los dominicanos regresando del exterior. Por eso, los caos en San Francisco de Macorís, Santiago, La Vega donde no hay turismo, entonces, lo que tenemos que tener es protocolo, conciencia de cómo hacer las cosas bien y todos trabajando juntos”, puntualizó el presidente del Grupo Puntacana.

“Lo que estamos en esta industrias somos profesionales y sabemos el precio de cometer errores. Entonces, integrar el protocolo de salud por el COVID-19 no es ningún problema para nosotros porque lo tenemos”, indicó.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I
And if the typical tourist hotels and resorts aren’t open or ready where would they stay?
In my case, I have two options if I can return in July. Stay at a friends house or rent an apartment in his community. I would prefer that to staying in a resort. There are plenty of small boutique hotels, condos, villas, and other types of non resort accommodations available in many North Coast tourist areas. Some, I suspect, will be available at cheaper rates.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

People will come. Just not in prepandemic numbers. I thought cruise ship clients would stay well away after the problems they encountered on the ships during the pandemic. Carnaval has five smaller cruise ships ready to sail from Florida as soon as the US government restrictions are lifted. A sign that people are willing to go regardless of the circumstances. Cruise ships, resorts, hotels will draw customers if they adhere to strict virus infection prevention protocols. People in North America and Europe have had two months of social distancing, wearing masks, etc. For many people, it’s part of their mindset and they won’t mind following the same protocols if it means they can escape to warmer or different destinations.

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018

I take exception to that. If there was a way, other than the overstay payment at the airport, we would gladly do it. However, After being detained at the airport for 2 hours a couple of years ago when we arrived & not ever really knowing why (don't speak spanish), someone told us somewhat about that. I spent a long time trying to figure a way to insure it didn't happen again & in the end, everyone told me to just pay the overstay fee & hope they don't stop us again.

Reactions: aarhus

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
I

In my case, I have two options if I can return in July. Stay at a friends house or rent an apartment in his community. I would prefer that to staying in a resort. There are plenty of small boutique hotels, condos, villas, and other types of non resort accommodations available in many North Coast tourist areas. Some, I suspect, will be available at cheaper rates.
This time of year is usually cheaper anyway. But this has really made the market change in favor of the renter.

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Canada / Villa Liberacion
I just read the article, his tone is: Tourism must open in July because if not it would have to wait til December since it won't open in the middle of hurricane season. He says that the industry is ready with strict sanitary protocols and even mentioned that the virus was brought back mainly by returning Dominicans.

Seems to me, like he is strongly pushing for a july opening. I may be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Podemos zonificar y trabajar en base a protocolos que permitan el reinicio de la industria porque el otro problema que tenemos es que si nosotros no comenzamos de verdad el primero de julio, la industria no va abrir hasta diciembre porque viene la temporada de huracanes y nadie va abrir en agosto 15 en medio de la temporada de huracanes y en medio de la pandemia a tener un 5% de ocupación ni va a tener a todos tu personal”

“Los grandes contaminantes no fueron los turistas, fueron los dominicanos regresando del exterior. Por eso, los caos en San Francisco de Macorís, Santiago, La Vega donde no hay turismo, entonces, lo que tenemos que tener es protocolo, conciencia de cómo hacer las cosas bien y todos trabajando juntos”, puntualizó el presidente del Grupo Puntacana.

“Lo que estamos en esta industrias somos profesionales y sabemos el precio de cometer errores. Entonces, integrar el protocolo de salud por el COVID-19 no es ningún problema para nosotros porque lo tenemos”, indicó.
I would think they need a test run or ease back to earn the confidence of tourists who want to come during the fall/winter. July would be a good time to do it. How the July-Oct period goes would likely dictate how the high season goes.

Reactions: Africaida
Status
Not open for further replies.