When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
In the US the president's powers are illusionary. States have their own powers over the sanitary mesures (I wish the DR provinces had the same - why should Pedernales take the same measures as Santo Domingo?).
Did you noticed how the governor and the city mayor of New York were quarreling about the scope of COVID lockup an Trupmp could do nothing? Or how he sent the military to the protesters and the generals said no. He can flight Corona virus on Twitter... until they censor him.
Do not blame Trump - that's the system that is beyond repair.

However Merkel in germany has even less power over the states, same in Austria and I guess even less for switzerlands president with its famous independent cantons and the type of president there.

all of those leaders managed to unite their governors - who in Germany are some from the other parties in a not so nice political climate- and got like 90% or so approved and originally 80% support from their inhabitants.

Trump can travell ban without asking anyone, get industry to produce things and and. None of the other presidents can do that. Taking about facts. He has limits compared to Putin but has much mote power then the other mentioned countries and coukd have at least done the same as Danilo who seems to have about the same powers.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Hi All, I told you all that my international flight was canceled, they told me no international flight for July, I have to admit, I could not find a flight, but a friend send me to his travel agent in SD, and guess what, i'm leaving for Europe July 8th, but you can't find it on the internet, don't know why. I have conformation. So I guess "the public" cant book on the internet, but travel agents can. FYI good luck
And yes, flights to the US do fly, but nothing from here anywhere els.

o-oh...How much DR experience do you have? This sound too much like tigeraje or charlatanes. How many times someone in DR was trying to sell me things not available in the Internet. Oh and one time a travell agency which was selling a reservation to a hotel which was full in the internet and indeed it was full and I had no room only paid to the agency

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Overall I think Danilo and DR have handled covit surprisingly well compared to other nations on that continent.

As far as I have seen DR is not on the new travel ban list of the European Union which is full of american countries. This are 300 million potential tourists with currently many many times less virus circulations then USA.

The main error I see to not comunícate clearly a date of opening airports well in advance so Airlines could plan ahead and to not concentrate on European tourists.

some countries have slightly raising numbers but all EU countries together less then whats happening in Florida alone.

Mr Deal HD

Sep 11, 2019

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Actually flying is pretty safe in an airplane. The air gets changed every 2 to 3 minutes, which is more than any other enclosed building. As far as the protocols on ground, yes they are joke.
Do the protocols on the ground yourself. Watch out for yourself. Way too many ppl here looking to govt for help. Repeat: Just doit yourself. Mommy not here to help y'all.

Reactions: windeguy and cavok
Jan 9, 2004
An interesting dichotomy is developing for July 1st, the anticipated opening of the DR and the EU for international travel.

The DR has not yet banned flights from the US, but the EU appears likely to ban US flights on that date;

They are at polar opposites, or so it seems at the moment.............

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
An interesting dichotomy is developing for July 1st, the anticipated opening of the DR and the EU for international travel.

The DR has not yet banned flights from the US, but the EU appears likely to ban US flights on that date;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
If RD bans US flights than they have no tourism and this huge push to reopen the tourism sector is moot.

My question is that our borders are still closed. So how does leisure traveling work. Right now there is just ferry flights. Is that being lifted next week by US Immigration and customs?

Reactions: aarhus

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
However Merkel in germany has even less power over the states, same in Austria and I guess even less for switzerlands president with its famous independent cantons and the type of president there.

all of those leaders managed to unite their governors - who in Germany are some from the other parties in a not so nice political climate- and got like 90% or so approved and originally 80% support from their inhabitants.

Trump can travell ban without asking anyone, get industry to produce things and and. None of the other presidents can do that. Taking about facts. He has limits compared to Putin but has much mote power then the other mentioned countries and coukd have at least done the same as Danilo who seems to have about the same powers.
You are right. Deep State does not care much abut the virus and they wouldn't stop Trump if he tried to do more.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Why don't you explain this to the almost 500,000 people that have died as a result of Covid-19.

C'mon dude. Sheesh.
Maybe you should read up on who died from it. How the numbers are juiced up to manufacture a pandemic. Just too much to write and i have no energy to explain to you from zero to current date.
I have had coronavirus and it was just a hard flu. I take care of my health and my immune system saved me easily. You see i didn't move to dominican republic to drink alcohol and be useless. I take care of my health and my health takes care of me.
Just a hint: Dominican republic authorities do admit , more like 47% covid deaths in DR are not confirmed deaths from covid 19. They are just labeled as that if anyone coughed or sneezed before their death.
Now enjoy your weekend and grab another beer.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Banning US flights would be like banning tourism right now. July seems to only have flights from US apart from Madrid. The DR needs US tourism. I am sure it will be fine.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Jan 9, 2004
Banning US flights would be like banning tourism right now. July seems to only have flights from US apart from Madrid. The DR needs US tourism. I am sure it will be fine.

Bingo.

There is currently a tug of war internally in the DR. There are forces that wish to continue the ban and forces that do not. At this moment, the forces to open have the upper hand.

The risk in opening is that any cases that erupt from opening, or if a second wave develops and that news makes the international press, it will hinder any hopes of gaining back momentum in the all important tourist industry.

Whether you perceive the virus numbers/causes as real or hoax, any bad news regarding a resurgence in the DR will force them to again shut their borders and the damage/pain from that may have greater impact on future tourism than the first wave.

I have canceled my plans/reservations and will take a wait and see approach..........and I suspect that I am not alone in that regard.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Overall I think Danilo and DR have handled covit surprisingly well compared to other nations on that continent.

As far as I have seen DR is not on the new travel ban list of the European Union which is full of american countries. This are 300 million potential tourists with currently many many times less virus circulations then USA.

The main error I see to not comunícate clearly a date of opening airports well in advance so Airlines could plan ahead and to not concentrate on European tourists.

some countries have slightly raising numbers but all EU countries together less then whats happening in Florida alone.

In the UK travel restrictions ease as the 14 quarantine is relaxed.
This pertains to EU travel and trips to the Med for summer holidays, to help tourism businesses.

There are no plans for long range flights in the immediate future.
EU citizens will not return to the DR this year in great numbers, if at all.
Airlines are struggling to survive and have to work on feasible routes, depending on load factors.

With any luck, US and Canadian travel may resume to the DR later in the year in some restricted volume.
Airlines, A.I. resorts and tourism related businesses in the DR will continue to be negatively affected for the next two to three years.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Bingo.

There is currently a tug of war internally in the DR. There are forces that wish to continue the ban and forces that do not. At this moment, the forces to open have the upper hand.

The risk in opening is that any cases that erupt from opening, or if a second wave develops and that news makes the international press, it will hinder any hopes of gaining back momentum in the all important tourist industry.

Whether you perceive the virus numbers/causes as real or hoax, any bad news regarding a resurgence in the DR will force them to again shut their borders and the damage/pain from that may have greater impact on future tourism than the first wave.

I have canceled my plans/reservations and will take a wait and see approach..........and I suspect that I am not alone in that regard.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I take a wait and see approach. Planning to just continue my life in the capital just around the apartment working from home. I go over to a mall for coffee to go and can sit on bench in mall and meet with friends there drinking our coffee with mask around the neck. I may relocate end July/August to another part of the country. It may be two months with a window of opportunity to relocate before they close down again. If EU says no US travel to EU the DR will have to choose between tourism from the EU or US. Internationally I hope to travel in November to Europe and I think Iberia SD to Madrid is a safe bet.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
The State of Epidemic protocol still calls for the curfew now in place.

Have fun on your holiday😂

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

If its citizens, legal residents, property owners (snowbirds) and other long term people who maybe are eligible for residency then they will be able to adapt. The ones posting here who plan to come have all said that.

habi

Oct 17, 2015

No it's not a curfew!
No business allowed between 8 pm and 5 am but with the exeption of hotels, restaurants and some others...

suspensión de las actividades económicas, sociales y recreativas desde las 8:00 p.m. hasta las 5:00 a.m. todos los días de la semana, con la excepción de las siguientes actividades:
6. Los servicios de hotelería y otros lugares de hospedaje, así como los servicios de restaurantes y otros lugares de comida, siempre en cumplimiento de los protocolos establecidos para las actividades turísticas y culinarias.

Reactions: GusFring

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
No it's not a curfew!
No business allowed between 8 pm and 5 am but with the exeption of hotels, restaurants and some others...

suspensión de las actividades económicas, sociales y recreativas desde las 8:00 p.m. hasta las 5:00 a.m. todos los días de la semana, con la excepción de las siguientes actividades:
6. Los servicios de hotelería y otros lugares de hospedaje, así como los servicios de restaurantes y otros lugares de comida, siempre en cumplimiento de los protocolos establecidos para las actividades turísticas y culinarias.

Sounds smart. No discos/bars. Limit drinking and put a lid on crime. But a restaurant can easily become a bar and even disco. I have seen that lol

Reactions: Clandestino
Status
Not open for further replies.