When You Marry A Dominican, Are You Expected To Help Their Family Financially?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
My limited experience...

precludes from commenting on the marriage aspect of this thread, but, just being distantly related can subject one to the " ...me puedes ayudar?" syndrome. I briefly met, for the first time, my father's wife's niece and nephew, both in their mid 20's, last year. Not long after I returned home, I received an e-mail from the nephew asking for assistance in securing the deposit for a house they needed to rent;the house they were in had to be vacant by the end of the month. Last week, 10 months later, the niece calls me on my cell phone to ask for help getting a new wardrobe because she had an appointment for an interview at Pizza Hut.:paranoid:

On Vacation!
Feb 18, 2005
I am sometimes amazed at the topics dicussed on this board. Everyday i read about how horrible dominican people are and how scerwed up this place is. But we Expat are all still here. Maybe we should share some of the nasty stories of the expat living here.

I am married to a dominican women and have a child with her we are happy and have a good life. I was married before for many years in Canada and also remember the request from my canadian born wife to help her bother with a job at my office and the cousin that comes to stay for a few weeks. Or help her eldely aunt with things around her home and etc. Well to me this is what marriage is all about. you are joining too lives together and you have to be completly cold hearted or just very stupid to think that your lives will not carry any bagage.

I do not care where you are anywhere in this world if you are doing well and you wifes family is in need then i see no problam in lending a helping hand. Now i must say i very rarely get asked for help from my wifes family and on the most part they are getting buy on there own so my lifes is different. But Geeezzz people can we be so heart less because this people are domincans Wow that is very sad.

Maybe we should worry more about these 60 year old Gringos coming down here wanting everything for nothing. Making babies with poor young uneducated girls from the campo. Making all kinds of big promisses to get in there pants only till when they relize these people here are not there slaves.
Some examples.
Being a drunken fool and roughing up there girlfriends. Back home we would be outraged at that behaviour but here it is condon.
Or cheating with every little street whore While Wify sits at home watching the baby. * But some how we think it is ok because we give them a nice house with 24hour power and a little pocket money so they are so much better off then living in the shack in the campo. Come on wake up people.

Anyway i am sorry for this man and the troubles.But maybe if we spend less time trying to con there pants off. And more time getting to know the person and there family They may just find out that Domincans and there familys can be a wonderful experence. There can be lots of nasty problems with ex wifes or ex husband but that is all over the world. And if you think it is ok to complain that you have money but you would not want to help you wifes family then Shame Shame on you. Go home we already have enough jerks on this island.

PS My ex wife never worked during our entire marriage and know she lives in the home i paid for with my to sons in Canada. Do i complain for what. She was my wife i married her. The kids are mine. It is my honour to help surrport my sons in Canada as well as it is my honour to help my new family.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
L- O - V - E

miguel said:
Common sense should tell a person to move on but we all know that MANY do not use their common sense.
Yeah, it's easy to write it, but it can be hard to ask the difficult questions when you're "in love."

I have much concern for the young and inexperienced men and women that "find love" in the Dominican Republic.

Nevertheless, the old fogies should know better.
Helpmann ;)

fitnessguy

Jan 27, 2006
I help my wife's family out in the DR, and so does she, but it's only when we can. We do not have a set time or amount. We just help when we can and in some instances when they call. I feel bad for a lot of people in DR and wish I could help more, but circumstances don't permit it. Also, you have to be careful when helping out family in DR, because there comes a point when what you're sending is not enough anymore. Now all of a sudden your "cheap". So I say, help when you can and make sure the wife or husband knows that ahead of time.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
680680 said:
PS My ex wife never worked during our entire marriage and know she lives in the home i paid for with my to sons in Canada. Do i complain for what. She was my wife i married her. The kids are mine. It is my honour to help surrport my sons in Canada as well as it is my honour to help my new family.

Your whole post was great but this part really shows what a real man you are. We need more like you!!

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Compliment?

LOPTKA said:
Your whole post was great but this part really shows what a real man you are. We need more like you!!
Yeah man!! He could pay my bills anytime!!!

-Helpmann :laugh:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Try this

Here is a way that I have found to save some money over the years. When I become involved with a Dominican woman and we have been together for over 6 months, I will say to her I am going to stop sending you any more money; however here is what I will do. You find a business you can start and maintain and I will give you the seed money to get stated, up to $1000 USD. After that it is up to you. Expect nothing else from me.

This really works. Of the 3 women I have given this opportunity none have ever asked me for another cent. In fact 1 of these women parlayed her $800 USD and supported herself and daughter for over 1 year. Unfortunately eventually all failed but none ever asked for additional monies.

Chuckuindy

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
It should be!

Chris said:
I'm amazed .. don't you all have your own money? In our household we have 'his' money, 'my' money and 'our' money. (It is a moot point that 'he' manages 'my' money just 'cause he does it better than I.) Surely if you are married to a spouse with a family in need, your spouse has to have the ability to help independently in terms of what is affordable, and the burden does not need to be on the relationship? Don't people actually manage their lives?
That's the way that it should be, you have your money, I have my money and we have our money. But even if that is the case, and even if he/she is sending "his/her" money, SOME could be taking advantage of them.

One of the nicest Dominican I know, married a girl from Loma De Cabrera about 10 years ago. From the get go, he helped her family. Our friends and I used to advice him until we were blue on the face about them taking advantage of him. He had all the excuses in the book but the main one was that his "wife would kill him if he did not helped them". Sure, because "her money" is about 6 dollars and hour and "his money" is about 110k a year.

Guess what, 10 years later, they are still sending money to them every month. Her mother and father have not worked in 10 years. She has 3 brothers in their 30's that do not now what "getting a job and moving out of the house" is all about. After they made a little "colmado" for the mother and father, within 1 year, the colmado was no gone. Not only did they did not wanted to work but the father drank all the money that was coming into the colmado. Why in hell work when there's a pendejo sending them money all the time. They ALL still think that he has a money machine and they ALL do not hesitate to pick up the phone and ask him for all type of things.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is a dilemma - on the one hand there is the 'if we can afford it, why not?' side of things, but then you have the likelihood that by giving money you are encouraging parasitism.

Chuck's idea is a good compromise, but I know from experience that some people are lost causes and will not make the most of these types of opportunities. Before long they are back at square one.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nothing!!

2dlight said:
precludes from commenting on the marriage aspect of this thread, but, just being distantly related can subject one to the " ...me puedes ayudar?" syndrome. I briefly met, for the first time, my father's wife's niece and nephew, both in their mid 20's, last year. Not long after I returned home, I received an e-mail from the nephew asking for assistance in securing the deposit for a house they needed to rent;the house they were in had to be vacant by the end of the month. Last week, 10 months later, the niece calls me on my cell phone to ask for help getting a new wardrobe because she had an appointment for an interview at Pizza Hut.:paranoid:
Your stories are NOTHING compared to the "wonderful" things that I have heard and know personally.

Everything from the lazy bum asking for money so he can take his other girlfriend to the movies to the prick asking for money because he wants to take a girl to a resort and wants to let her know that he has money.

My stories are countless and very amuzing!!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I hear ya!

helpmann said:
Yeah, it's easy to write it, but it can be hard to ask the difficult questions when you're "in love."

I have much concern for the young and inexperienced men and women that "find love" in the Dominican Republic.

Nevertheless, the old fogies should know better.
Helpmann ;)
Oh, those famous letters, L.O.V.E. But one thing about LOVE:

I LOVE myself and my hard-earned money MUUUUUUCH more than any girl and family that I know that I will have to support!. LOL.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As a person married to an American I can relate to this topic. When we first got married my wife did not understand why I had to send money, and buy all kinds of gifts for people when I went down there. The difference is I've always made my own money and never asked my wife to give a cent to anyone in my family and never would. So, since it is MY money I can do with it as I wish as long as I'm also taking care of my own household. That settled any potential arguments about this topic...

Now if a guy is making 110k a year what's the big deal about sending a coupel of hundred USD a month to help suppor the family back home. I do this with my grandfather every month, just as he supported me when I was growing up. The way I see it, if I don't spend it on him I would spend it on some other stupid thing. I could blow it on a party, drink it away, gamble it, etc...but I get a lot more pleasure from sending it to him and making sure he's not lacking basic necessities.

If I had a Dominican wife I would probably help as well, depending on the situation. What I wouldn't do is make it a habit where they come to expect this "monthly allowance" from their daughter's husband.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I get your point!

suarezn said:
As a person married to an American I can relate to this topic. When we first got married my wife did not understand why I had to send money, and buy all kinds of gifts for people when I went down there. The difference is I've always made my own money and never asked my wife to give a cent to anyone in my family and never would. So, since it is MY money I can do with it as I wish as long as I'm also taking care of my own household. That settled any potential arguments about this topic...

Now if a guy is making 110k a year what's the big deal about sending a coupel of hundred USD a month to help suppor the family back home. I do this with my grandfather every month, just as he supported me when I was growing up. The way I see it, if I don't spend it on him I would spend it on some other stupid thing. I could blow it on a party, drink it away, gamble it, etc...but I get a lot more pleasure from sending it to him and making sure he's not lacking basic necessities.

If I had a Dominican wife I would probably help as well, depending on the situation. What I wouldn't do is make it a habit where they come to expect this "monthly allowance" from their daughter's husband.
I, too, help a few people in the DR. Even my father who does not deserve it(but let's not get there). But I do it, as Frank Sinatra said "my way", when I want and if I want.

Suarezn, buddy, one thing is to help someone in need and another thing is make a habit out of it. You, as a Dominican, know for a fact that there are many people in the DR who would rather NOT work and wait for that monthly money.

Indeed, there are family members that one should help, no doubt about that, the problem is with those that expect you to help them and still NOT do anything to improve themselves.

I, for one, have been working VERY hard since the age of 11 and there's no way in hell that I am going to send my money to people that do not want to improve their way of living.

Yes, it's my money and I do with it as I please but let's not forget that, if you are married, in the US, your money is half your wife's and visa versa. Whether we like it or not, the spouse should have a saying in how one spend "our money".

What's the big deal if about a guy making 110k...?.:

Well, the big deal is that since he married down, he have been sending money to HER family, NOT his. If you go back and read my post, you will see that her 3 brothers are still living at home and are jobless. Do you know what's happening to the money that he is sending her parents?, the money is being spent on those 3 lowlives vagos also. And btw, 2 of them have 2 kids out of wedlock, each, living at the parent's home. Care to guess, since they don't work, with whose's money are they feeding those kids?. Exactly!.

Care to know why one her brothers cares very little for him?.

Because that prick called and told, not ask mind you, him to send him a Sidekick cell phone and my friend said "NO". All of a sudden, this moron who has been supported for a whole bunch of year by my buddy, tells whomever can hear that my buddy is the worse thing on the face of the earth. That cabron had gone as far as to tell his sister to dump him. Can you imagine, for her to dump the whole family meal ticket.

You, of all people, should know that when it comes to helping family members in the DR, in MANY cases, you are darned if you do and darned if you don't!.

One get's SOME of these people used to the idea that you will be sending them money, the moment you can't send it, they become your enemies and would say all kind of crap about you.

Would get mad if your abuelo tells you that with the money that you are sending him, that he is also "helping" support his 3 grandkids, kids that are about your own age?. I would.

Last edited:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
miguel said:
Your stories are NOTHING compared to the "wonderful" things that I have heard and know personally.

Everything from the lazy bum asking for money so he can take his other girlfriend to the movies to the prick asking for money because he wants to take a girl to a resort and wants to let her know that he has money.

My stories are countless and very amuzing!!.

I agree with you 100% Miguel, maybe when I spend more time in the DR I'll get a better picture of the scope of this kind of behavior and have some of those "wonderful" experiences.;)

Nov 16, 2005
WWW.TRANS-PAQ.COM
I work in money transfers, and have plenty of women and men sending money to their loved ones..and happy to do so..but on the other hand have many men in their 60's and 70's sending money to twenty year old wives and showing me proudly their accomplishments,fotos of their young wives and newborns and young children and then complain about how much it is costing them to maintain them.........most people send $50.00 or $100.00 a week to cover rent and food, and then you have the moochers..send $500.00.....the brother needs money because he lost his job...........never had one to begin with..kids and wife are sick, send $2000.00 prices just tripled because the child has a foreign last name..
i could go on.....but just think realistically..who are you marrying .the family or the girl, and make it clear to her that you can help her only and then think very hard as to why are you marrying her...only you can really know what you can afford to send.....without killing your own budget..and then think again....i have seen too many people putting themselves in debt for people that they really don't know well, apart from a 2 or 3 week vacation in paradise...

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
claudiapoopie@hotmail.com said:
..but on the other hand have many men in their 60's and 70's sending money to twenty year old wives and showing me proudly their accomplishments,fotos of their young wives and newborns and young children and then complain about how much it is costing them to maintain them.........QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your help. Since I did not take any of these 18 to 23 year old women as my wife, I never have to send money again.

Chuckuindy

Nov 16, 2005
WWW.TRANS-PAQ.COM
chuckuindy said:
claudiapoopie@hotmail.com said:
..but on the other hand have many men in their 60's and 70's sending money to twenty year old wives and showing me proudly their accomplishments,fotos of their young wives and newborns and young children and then complain about how much it is costing them to maintain them.........QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your help. Since I did not take any of these 18 to 23 year old women as my wife, I never have to send money again.

Chuckuindy
happy to hear it............good luck hope all works out for you..and congrats on finding someone who loves you for you..

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Chuckles:

'Just to keep you in the loop, it's my PAYPAL account that you are sending money to when they call you from MY cell phone to ask for money for their brother that just blew out his Dominican Fidelity account Day Trading!

Gracias hermano!

(Just keeping them warm while you are stateside)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Tamborista said:
Just to keep you in the loop, it's my PAYPAL account that you are sending money to when they call you from MY cell phone to ask for money for their brother that just blew out his Dominican Fidelity account Day Trading!
(Just keeping them warm while you are stateside)
Drummer(haha), I really do not know if you are kidding or not BUT:

You do not know how RIGHT you are, in MANY cases. Basicly the same thing that AZB says over and over. So true!.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My Dominican wife just sent my mother $300 of her money for mothers Day. My parents are both retired with 3 pensions each and own their home and cars. When I suggested that maybe it was a little too much, Yris told me " you can never do enough for your parents". This I believe is the attitude of most Dominican (girls anyway) towards their parents, so when you marry a Dominicana this is part of what you marry.
As far as her family, the only one that expects to get something for nothing is her brother. Things like " BRING ME A CELLPHONE", not expecting to pay for it.