Where is DR Beef coming from ?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
eat fish save the cows
There are fish farms here in the Dominican Republic if you want to eat domestically and you are inland.
Otherwise there are the fisherman who head out to sea everyday and return with a fresh catch for ya.
I personally don't eat fish or seafood.
So I cannot tell you the quality of the product.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I get a tender churrasco at Charli's in Club Residential in Sosua when I decide to spring for it - 1,300 pesos.
Tender and good flavor. But they don't have a chimichurri sauce, so I use the A1.

Seems like DR beef, especially churrasco should be served with a nice spicy chimichurri

Attachments

• chimichurri.jpg
    chimichurri.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: JD Jones

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Judging by some of the questions earlier, we might be wise to ‘ dumb down’ our answers somewhat so that all can understand

One poster in particular seems to have trouble following

DR beef is the topic

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I get a tender churrasco at Charli's in Club Residential in Sosua when I decide to spring for it - 1,300 pesos.
Tender and good flavor. But they don't have a chimichurri sauce, so I use the A1.

Seems like DR beef, especially churrasco should be served with a nice spicy chimichurri
The only place where I have had what is called churrasco on the menu is Ali's Surf Camp in Cabarete.
A thin cut of beef done on the grill and apparently nothing like what Brazillian's call the same dish.
I have definitely enjoyed it. We asked what the sauce was and they told me it was top secret. For some reason it is now priced very highly.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Next week the US will be injecting US cattle and cows with mRNA vaccines.
I don't want that crap in my body.
I prefer to live stroke free if possible.
So I will do my best to avoid US milk products and US raised beef.
But I do like Angus beef.
Hopefully the DR stops importing US Beef products because of this ?
I'm not a Livestock expert but very involved in Dominican Agriculture for more than 15 years. Therefor i have to tell you; Dominican agricultural goods that are sold locally are NOT CONTROLLED OR INSPECTED AT ALL !!!. Of course there are Rules and Regulations but nobody is enforcing them. My knowledge is pretty much bases on Fruits and vegetables but i can hardly imagine that meat would be much better. Products that are being exported are checked regulary at US or european Entrance ports, so this is a complete diferent story.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'm not a Livestock expert but very involved in Dominican Agriculture for more than 15 years. Therefor i have to tell you; Dominican agricultural goods that are sold locally are NOT CONTROLLED OR INSPECTED AT ALL !!!. Of course there are Rules and Regulations but nobody is enforcing them. My knowledge is pretty much bases on Fruits and vegetables but i can hardly imagine that meat would be much better. Products that are being exported are checked regulary at US or european Entrance ports, so this is a complete diferent story.
This is not surprising at all. As for meat, just cook it at least to medium. Most fruits and veggies are ok but it doesn't hurt to rinse the road dirt off them.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I leave the top steak selection and cooking to the professionals. They have purveyors that know what specific steaks the customers want, and the restaurant has the equipment, usually those large broilers or grills to prepare the steak properly. I am guessing they use heavy doses of butter and salt but not sure. S.D has several good steak houses. Most other restaurants that serve steak overcook the meat and disguise it with sauces and accoutrements.

Reactions: aarhus

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
This is not surprising at all. As for meat, just cook it at least to medium.
Steak yes
Ground Beef...well done
Use an accurate meat thermometer.
On all beef...and in fact all meats in general not just the meat produced in the Dominican Republic.
Most fruits and veggies are ok but it doesn't hurt to rinse the road dirt off them.
Careful that last statement is not about beef.
Our new self appointed moderators are going to get at ya.

I am curious, how many people are raising cattle in the Dominican Republic that are posting in this thread?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am curious, how many people are raising cattle in the Dominican Republic that are posting in this thread?

Our closest neighbor raises cattle for beef. Not a huge herd, usually 20 or so, plus calves. Strictly grass fed. Not even hay (which Mr AE suggested because of the drought). We have 15 tareas, the back 9 pretty much unused except for avocado, mango, coconut trees, etc. We let him graze the animals back there, we call them our living lawn mowers. He mostly butchers the larger calves (I must admit I could do without seeing the head hanging there and recognizing it). Within 24 hours, all the meat is sold.

FF858A63-F394-4788-9E2C-8ACF9141AEBF.jpeg

BE0BCAD7-04C8-4BF2-AFAA-CD55F27605F0.jpeg

D53C150A-D3BF-447F-B8B4-F42E4506134A.jpeg

Jan 9, 2004
My wife's family has an interest in a cattle ranch amongst their other businesses, near El Seibo.

They are raising Brangus cattle. Brangus is a cross between Brahma and Black Angus. This cross breed produces much better (tender) beef. They process and sell almost exclusively to Nacional.

The cattle are given anti-biotics to prevent diseases i.e., hoof and mouth etc. and to prevent diseased beef from being sold to the consumer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
anyone that thinks the cattle here are antibiotic free don't know what they're talking about, a Canadian friend of mine had about twenty head and he told me that they use as much if not more than in north America.
Tell me in which post someone wrote "antibiotic free"
My wife's family has an interest in a cattle ranch amongst their other businesses, near El Seibo.

They are raising Brangus cattle. Brangus is a cross between Brahma and Black Angus. This cross breed produces much better (tender) beef. They process and sell almost exclusively to Nacional.

The cattle are given anti-biotics to prevent diseases i.e., hoof and mouth etc. and to prevent diseased beef from being sold to the consumer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
My man is dead on point.

There is a difference between antibiotics and growth hormones.
I have seen posts where people are concerned about growth hormones.

As a personal favor to me, ask your friend if he uses growth hormones for his cattle that he raises in the the Dominican Republic.
I am curious to learn his answer.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Beef produced in the DR usually does not have all the supplements, feed, and quality assurance the foreign producers use to improve the taste and texture of their beef products. That said, most if not all Dominican beef is range fed, few add ins-if any, and has little required government intervention to protect quality the beef products. Dominican beef is fibrous, chewier than the fat marbled foreign imports. It is the reason why Dominican mothers and grandmothers have special recipes to cook the hell out their carne to make the food tender. Delicious sancochos are the result of the Dominican need to treat beef and other meat products to make them tender and palatable at the table.

It is meaningful to say Central Romana's, AgrocarneCR, is located Batey Higueral in La Romana. It has been many years since PJT has been there. Yet, recent reviews claim their meat products are still good and fresh. It is about 6+ km N from Autopista Coral/de Este at the intersection just beyond the toll when coming from San Jose de Macoris. You can check CR website. Most days it is open from 8-5 and Sat 8-12.

Regards,

PJT

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Here's a pic of typical cattle for beef in the US. The cattle I see driving around here look scrawny in comparison with hip bones and ribs showing. They may be grass fed, but they don't look like they're getting enough grass:

Cattle For Beef.jpg