Where's the originality?

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
I was asking a friend what type of business is opening in the building in his neighborhood where there has been a lot of work lately. He told be that a bar/drink is opening. I laughed because on the next block is a Drink that has been there for a while. I asked why would someone open the same type of business that's close to another one. My friend told me they are going to make it more "upscale".

This weekend I was having dinner in Zona Colonial and notice that the new Conuco restaurant is almost done. This location is huge inside. While walking along the Conde I saw there is a new restaurant in the old Hard Rock Cafe spot. So I walked inside to check it out.

The greeter said we are doing a soft opening but will open official in 6 days. There was even a big number sign behind the stage counting down the days. The decor was nicely done but I notice it has a El Conuco vibe to it, I asked the greeter, "What type of food are you serving, she replied Tipico" .. Ahhhhh a upscale Conuco.

It's going to be interesting to see if both of these restaurants are going to make it, being only a couple of blocks away on the same street.

Concuo has the name and some relationship with tour companies because they bus in tourist into their location in Gazcue. How the other restaurant (Jaleo I think) is going to pull in enough money to make a profit, I don't know. Great location for a concert but will not be cheap. I looked at the menu and a serving of chico was $900 Pesos. I thought Conuco was high. Aye Mi Madre!!!

Still where is the originality in opening business here. It's like we will just make it pretty. Also it was interesting to see the waiters taking orders on tablets. Will that make service faster and eliminate mistake?

There is nothing wrong with two or more similar establishments opening near each other so long as there is foot traffic. Problem in Zona Colonial is a lack of adequate parking thus a lack of foot traffic. Seems like the President abandoned the colonial project as just a few streets were re-done in expensive coral stone vs. many streets completed in a more practical brick - the electric poles are still above ground, many leaning over with wires twisted about like the kids string game Cat's in the Cradle. Again it appears that corruption and or poor leadership is slowing progress. Will be up to private investment to fix. Hopefully both restaurants do well and it sparks momentum. We need Trump!