Why Can't "Duminicans" Close ANYTHING ????

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Very interesting thread.

My advice is to simply hit them where it hurts... the money..

To quote a favourite movie '****ing with your cash is all you kids seem to understand'

Just install a system of choice; half pay for a half-assed job; full-pay for a full job.

Whether it's a wife, employee or family member, same system;

Half-ass way; half-ass clothing/presents/allowance or whatever.. if they're late leave anyway (go to the movies by yourself), buy good clothing for yourself in their presence and cheapest knock off for them...

The important thing here is to tell them they can make their free choice and not to force them. Don't make this an issue, don't humiliate them or make it about pleasing you... they are free to make their own choice, if they are happy with half-assed behaviour fine.. no sweat of your back

Believe me it will get better quickly.

And please note that there are many Dominicans that are very much interested in doing things right without 'us' needing to help them.

did ya get da system to work???

and anyways,
very most Dominican People do Not Need Us to make things work,
that's just a thingy in the minds of some dumbass gringitos,
as it is mostly the Domincans who make things work after the Gringitos run out of Ideas on how to fix something.

Mke

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I,m not sure WHERE :surprised,but I LIKE IT!
I MUST take exception with those of you who THINK,that you have a "SOLUTION" to your Dominican "Problem"!
There is NO SOLUTION!
If you think that leaving for the movies,in time to actually see the whole movie,is the answer,you will just be going to the movies alone all the time.
I tried saying we are leaving at 7 pm(Even Tho The Movie Started a 8:30.)
I would go start the car,blow the horn,leave and drive around the block,NOTHING WILL WORK! I gave up about 15 years ago!
YES! on using dish soap like WATER! You can mix it with 1/2 water so they use "a little" less.But it is better to only buy the "Paste" kind of dish cleaner.It is "harder for them to waste,but they like to put water in the container to make the paste into a slurry,so they can waste that!
How about "CLORO"???? Man can they go through THAT,only surpassed by "ACE"(Dominican for laundry Detergent)I tried showing them,giving them a Measuring cup,rationing,yelling,rationalizing,setting LIMITS(NOT HERE!) Again,nothing works. Why do most of my clothes have bleach marks on them,)"No es mi culpa,No Fui Yo!) I had one maid I called,"La Reina Del Cloro",for obvious reasons. When she left,AFTER getting her Christmas Bonus,of course,I fount lots more of my shirts and pants,with HUGE cloro spots,hidden under her mattress!
There are three kinds of Expats,
1.Those who have been here long enough to KNOW Dominican Truisms
2.Those who will SOMEDAY have been here long enough to know Dominican truisms.
3.Those of you who can stay here forever,and will NEVER 'either understand Dominican truisms,or are just to "PC" to admit that you know.
So "SPIN,SPIN,SPIN"You will not convince me that Dominicans are God's "GIFT" to humanity!
To those who ask:"If you hate Dominicans SO MUCH,why don't you just leave and "Go Home?""""
THIS,is my HOME!!!!(Can YOU Say THAT?)
"Hell!" my kids are Dominicans,and I love THEM!!
"With "PEACE & LOVE" TO ALL! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:Well,ALMOST ALL!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

da MOOOOVIES???
are ya talking about da MOOOVIEEES??
heck, sure You are right,
there is NOOO freakin' way to hit a Movie with the Familiy on Time and see the whole Movie.

but I disagree on the ""NO Solution Thingy"".
I have found a long while ago the perfect solution, and it works great:
once decided which Moooooovie it will be atb the Cine, I take it easy, I wait patiently for everybody, I will never again get a heart attack or alikes for freakin; outn due beeing late for a Mooovie, I just wait, drive 'em all over to the Cine, theyb can watch the part which is still playing after we arrive of course at least 20 mionutes after the KMooovie started, I take it completely Calm and relaxed, I enjoy that we have some drinks at the Hard Rock Cafe after the Moooovie,

and when back home or the next day, when ever it suits ME, I just watch da darn complete Moooovie which my 'puter downloaded from the Net while I waited for the Gang to be of course late for da Mooovie.

Hey,
it's Life,
take it easy and don't overdo it, it can be really nastily short some times.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Here's a little story that gives insight into how we need to change our thinking about the little things while in the DR-

I had some brand-new underwear stolen from one of the places I recently stayed in by the housekeeper, likely for her surly, man-ape of a son who's probably never worn good-quality drawers in his life and never will again once they use Cloro to wash them.

I can just see him now impressing the hell out of his little girlfriend when he strips for her 5 minutes of bliss, prancing about the dirt floor of their shack in his Jockey shorts "de alta calidad".

Moral of the story-it's not the housekeeper's fault for being a thief; it's my fault for not locking everything up. I'm sure she was thinking what a pendejo these foreigners are for not securing their stuff wherever they go.

And yes, she was a very nice lady, good-humored and always up for a laugh.

no Man,
if Your housekeeper is steeling from You, then You made something wronmg when Youn started to build up your relationships wityh Your Employees, I can guarantee that none of my workers in the house or on the Boats would ever take anything which doesn't belong to them, not even a pack of money accidentally left on the living room table when I leave the house in the morning.
it is always what You Give that is coming back to You in Life.

Mike

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Schools in DR are crap like in the US.
Training mini-consummers and planet trashers!
Who wants that?
Sensible people faced with this mad world home-school.
Yanandu

You wouldn't, perchance, have been home-schooled, were you?

I'm sure you're a perfectly nice guy in person, but some of your rants can be kinda, well, unabomber-ish.

I wouldn't go so far as dv8's Ayn Rand-esqu "screw the world, I just want to get mine" perspective, but it seems like you're giving up a good bit of fun so you can make pineapple wine using sweet potato peelings.

Then again, doing that's gotta be better than watching an episode of "Jersey Shore"....

vittorio

Apr 27, 2011
I feel you on the comments about the "typical" dominican given that my dominican roommates in brooklyn are the absolute worst in the world, but I disagree about your comment about dominican women; very disrespectful. Anyways, my roommates are disgusting, lazy, leeching a-holes that have 0 motivation to do anything on their own and who lack any sense of aesthetics. This is what I had to do with hem:

About your issues with duminicans, you have to make everything very clear to them: leave notes written in big bold letters all over your house saying "please close the cabinet," "Don't slam the door," "please shut faucet completely." Super organize everything, and whatever they waste, have them buy it; you can make a list of the things they have to buy that they have wasted and give it to them with a deadline or as I call it "due date." Write due dates for everything and post it on the refrigerator, paying rent, buying groceries, paying bills, etc and don't forget to write the names of people who were late to pay or do their chores on the list so that everyone can see that he/she is not doing **** around the house. Write a contract stipulating all this and have them sign it, then post it on the refrigerator door. It is a lot of work at first, but trust me you will be at peace. And don't yell or argue with the dominicans, be nice but FIRM and they will do what they are supposed to do.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I feel you on the comments about the "typical" dominican given that my dominican roommates in brooklyn are the absolute worst in the world, but I disagree about your comment about dominican women; very disrespectful. Anyways, my roommates are disgusting, lazy, leeching a-holes that have 0 motivation to do anything on their own and who lack any sense of aesthetics. This is what I had to do with hem:

About your issues with duminicans, you have to make everything very clear to them: leave notes written in big bold letters all over your house saying "please close the cabinet," "Don't slam the door," "please shut faucet completely." Super organize everything, and whatever they waste, have them buy it; you can make a list of the things they have to buy that they have wasted and give it to them with a deadline or as I call it "due date." Write due dates for everything and post it on the refrigerator, paying rent, buying groceries, paying bills, etc and don't forget to write the names of people who were late to pay or do their chores on the list so that everyone can see that he/she is not doing **** around the house. Write a contract stipulating all this and have them sign it, then post it on the refrigerator door. It is a lot of work at first, but trust me you will be at peace. And don't yell or argue with the dominicans, be nice but FIRM and they will do what they are supposed to do.

**Sounds too much like work...easier to get new roomates...perhaps the dominican women you referred too would be easier to live with....:)

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
**Sounds too much like work...easier to get new roomates...perhaps the dominican women you referred too would be easier to live with....:)

Yeah, it sounds like he has grown children.. Too much hassle. I suggest a nice dominican lady too. :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Yea... all of that, OR... get new roomates! ;-)

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
I go into the bathroom to brush my teeth. The "top" is off the toothpaste.
Next time,same thing. Next time,the top is gone.I buy a tube of toothpaste with a "Fliptop",I think,"MAYBE",just "Maybe",they can close this????? No Way!!!
Not only that,but with time the excess paste they leave all over the top,gets hard,and you can't close the top even if you want to.
Mouthwash,same story.
I open the fridge,two cans of tomato paste open at the same time?

( which asks the question,"Why do Duminicans have to have two,or three containers of:"Cachu",Butter,milk, "Leche Carnation",and lots of other products,open at the same time?)

Both look like they were opened by a Great White Shark,but it was with the point of my good carving knives.They can't seem to master can openers either! Now,back to the tomato paste.I got a plastic top from a can of powdered milk,which fit the large can of tomato paste perfectly.It lasted
about a week.

Why can't they close a door? A gate"

Why can't they close their mouthes? They can talk all night long,and LOUD!!!
"Oh Well",if they closed their mouthes,they couldn't be pouring in all that,"Cervesa y Ron",or talking loud all night!!

Why can't they close their eyes? They can stay up until 6 am.

And MOST important,why can't Duminican women Close Their LEGS???

That way they wouldn't have all those babies that they can't afford to give the basic necessities of life!!!!

Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Newbie here read hundreds of post when I saw this one I laughed so hard I had to go p. Anyway it's a old island thing I guess my inlaws are from Puerto Rico which is a stones throw away from you guys in Florida her fridge is the same way tomato paste ,sofrito,corn ,peas, cut in half onions, peppers smells real good. And want do you think mine looks like when she visits us? Oh how about the pots that go into the oven after cooking don't even tell you and you go to preheat and what is that smell then finally my wife
" thats a habit she always does that" there you have it where these people live and came from at that time in space there was no saran wrap tupperware in Pedros pantry mart have a good one I feel your pain.

'

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hey,
there vis Tupperware all around,
it is just not used for the Food, but it suits very nice for the Kiddies to hide their lil Toys and store them appropriately, ha ha ha.
even at my place the rest of a afternoon BBQ or Oven Chicken goes in it's Aluminium Can into the Oven, and later in the Eve ME opens that Oven to eat such restovers cold, I love 'em.
I never had anybody including myself getting sick of such, so where's the Fuss about such old behaviors??, just because at other places itb is done different?
If You want a complete Family which is behaving on any point as a typical US American Family, eating those Burgers and Subway Sandwhiches etc etc, then such Person has to look for such complete Family up there in the US, if You want them German grown and german well behaved, knowleadgeable about good wine and appreciating top cuisine and closing the tops of the Toothpaste bottles, then You need to go to Germany and look for a complete Family there.
if you want to have some real Fun in Life and prefer to leave the whole bothering useless crap out of the daily routine,
then You are ready to look for a whole full Family on the Isle,
and Man,
are they worth the change without the crap.

Mike

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
5 years ago my fantabulous husband gave me a set of Global knives for my birthday. If you are a foodie you probably know they don't come cheap.

If I ever catch anyone doing shenanigans with my knives said person will find him/herself pinned to the sheetrock wall like a bug at an entomology convention. Luckily I have nothing to fear from either my husband or my domestic assistant, they are both very kitchen-savvy. They only thing scratched in our kitchen (that includes a glass stovetop and stainless steel backsplash) is the chopping block.

How can you not love a husband that gives you super-sharp knives for your birthday?