Why do dominicans have no manners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Some of our habits are considered rude to Dominicans, for example eating with our bare hands.

You must live in a very different area than I have....I used to get all upset when the communal eating began with my food...hands all up in my food....freaking hands in my food!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Been here 10 years, around a lot of Dominicans, they never say thank you/gracious..........

Been here in the Us 8 years I notice that too, good education and costumer service in the US... Que educada y simpatica son las personas especialmente cuando se trata de costumer services aqui en los EU.

JJ

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You must live in a very different area than I have....I used to get all upset when the communal eating began with my food...hands all up in my food....freaking hands in my food!!

Wouldn't happen in my mother-in-laws house. Out they would go, never to return , to get anyways. I attend a lot of official functions and I've have noticed no finger licking and no eating food with your fingers. Perhaps it's different on the coast.

I agree with JJ, Customer Service in the USA for the most part is first rate. Manners, well than depends on where you are.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Well, ain't we proper. As I stated in a previous post, git yerself a citizenship, come on down, and learn how REAL mericans eat.
You eat spare ribs with a knife and fork, eh?

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Most things do not bother me except for the lack of consideration many Domincan's have for people standing in line.....They will walk right past people standing in line and place their order like everyone is invisible (unless you are in a tight formation). I find it very rude and selfish.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, ain't we proper. As I stated in a previous post, git yerself a citizenship, come on down, and learn how REAL mericans eat.
You eat spare ribs with a knife and fork, eh?

I didn't say I don't eat with my hands. I'm not Dominican. I've spent plenty of time in the USA, north, south, and West, though not too much time in the northeast, except Maine. I've spent a lot of time in Florida, California, Texas, Hawaii, and Washington State. I've worked a lot with American Navy, Marines, and Air force.
I love a good feed of messy ribs.

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Wouldn't happen in my mother-in-laws house. Out they would go, never to return , to get anyways. I attend a lot of official functions and I've have noticed no finger licking and no eating food with your fingers. Perhaps it's different on the coast.

I agree with JJ, Customer Service in the USA for the most part is first rate. Manners, well than depends on where you are.

The area I am talking about is quite poor. When someone gets a plate of food, everyone eats....it becomes a habit to share...it continues even when there is plenty of food. Just my experience.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Firstly spanish can be an abrupt language which sometimes makes sentances sound rather unkind. Dominicans do not have worse table manners than Americans but are certainly less formal than in France or England , But, on the other hand I know of no other country where people entering a waiting room say Saludos a todo o buenos dias a todo .. My friends also use permitame y discupeme very often so I think it may be that the courtesy is located differently than western countries. I also receive a muchas gracias very often so my experience is not a bad one .

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
A memorable post ( cannot remember the poster) , " you know your in the Dominican Republic when you're talking to your attorney and he starts to pick his nose "

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Most things do not bother me except for the lack of consideration many Domincan's have for people standing in line.....They will walk right past people standing in line and place their order like everyone is invisible (unless you are in a tight formation). I find it very rude and selfish.....

I always call them on it. Usually saying something charming in my magnificent English or less impressive Spanish, to the effect of, "Oh, please. Go right ahead. Be my guest." Same as when I'm walking my dog along PC in Sosua and continually mutter, "Excuse me, whore."

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I always call them on it. Usually saying something charming in my magnificent English or less impressive Spanish, to the effect of, "Oh, please. Go right ahead. Be my guest." Same as when I'm walking my dog along PC in Sosua and continually mutter, "Excuse me, whore."

What a coincidence, I walk my dog on P.C as well

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I always call them on it. Usually saying something charming in my magnificent English or less impressive Spanish, to the effect of, "Oh, please. Go right ahead. Be my guest.[/" Same as when I'm walking my dog along PC in Sosua and continually mutter, "Excuse me, whore."

you make me chuckle,, and giggle...

thanks for making this place a little brighter with your wit and charm..

What a coincidence, I walk my dog on P.C as well

Thats not nice, I'm sure she is a very nice Chica.. .en cama at least.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
The manners here are different, not negative. While you might not hear thank you (and I do). If you ask a dominican how their health is, if it is good, they will always say, 'buen, gracias adios' to a tee (implying, no dominican takes their health for granted, and IS grateful for the little (important) things in life). Also if you ever enter a Dominican house hold as a guest, they will immediately try to cook for you and make you at home or offer you coffee/expresso.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The manners here are different, not negative. While you might not hear thank you (and I do). If you ask a dominican how their health is, if it is good, they will always say, 'buen, gracias adios' to a tee (implying, no dominican takes their health for granted, and IS grateful for the little (important) things in life). Also if you ever enter a Dominican house hold as a guest, they will immediately try to cook for you and make you at home or offer you coffee/expresso.

What I had to put my foot down about is going somewhere with my Dominican lady and having the hostess cook for us and put mine out for me to eat before anyone and everyone else. Had to tell my lady that O would not eat while otthers waited and to tell them that right up front.
Der Fish

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In many ways most Dominicans are extremely polite and courteous. For example, children here are taught to greet people politely and answer their questions, unlike kids in other countries where they blank you while their parents shrug helplessly. In other ways they are not so polite, especially in the way in which many people interrupt and talk over each other.

English speakers often criticise Spanish speakers for not saying please, because they miss the subtlety in the way polite requests are formulated in Spanish to convey "please" without actually saying it. There is also the use of "usted", "don", "do?a" etc. to convey respect that does not exist in English.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I live in a campo beach town outside of San Cristobal and most of the people here are very poor. One on one I find them amazingly polite, but they are oblivious to some things. Like blocking the road with motorbikes or standing in the road to talk and expecting the cars to just stop and wait (Mr AE is not amused by either). When he was sick with dengue, many came to the gate to ask how he was doing.

i shop mostly at La Sirena in San Cristobal, and have never experienced anything like rudeness from the other shoppers. If someone is blocking an aisle I wait a bit and always get an apology.

Now Mr AE, maybe from living in the US for 40 years, always says please and thank you there. But here in DR it's like a switch has been flipped. He will pull into a gas station, for example, ask directions , get an answer, close the window and drive away. No thank you to the guy. Yeah, I say something, and he shrugs. In many ways, he's different here.

My inlaws don't speak any English, but they do know "thank you" and use it with me.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
The area I am talking about is quite poor. When someone gets a plate of food, everyone eats....it becomes a habit to share...it continues even when there is plenty of food. Just my experience.

I think this is Dominican culture in general. Even on other islands throughout the Caribbean, when my wife and I are out eating at a Dominican place, it's always "uno por los dos" Something that I've grown use to over time. However, I also find that when complimenting a Dominican on their cooking and food, my compliments are always returned with a smile and Gracias. Also, a cu?date when we leave.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Even though my grandma was a campo lady, she was very polite and well mannered. I know many humble people who say thanks and please; it all depends on the environment in which you were raised.

I used to teach a class of kids, and it drove me nuts how they would pull a chair out, stand up and leave, and not put the chair back in. I taught them to do that. I also taught them not to write on tables, which they thought was normal. Something else, is not to grab things that are not theirs. Now, you have to be consistent and persistent. Sometimes gringos think that they have fairy dust or superpowers that will transform kids overnight.

Something I'd also like to point out is how is how certain things may sound rude in one language but not in another. I once experienced two tourists getting offended by something that a receptionist at a resort told them. In local Spanish, it wouldn't really sound rude, but in English it does; I do think that places that deal with foreign people need to train them on how to talk to them.

Anyway, if you think about it, you shouldn't get mad at kids. these are things that they are not getting enough of from their parents.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
If there is one thing that I am sure of ,hardly any Dominican would write such impolite things on a board that extranjeros do.

Status
Not open for further replies.