why do people want to believe crime is on the increase

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"YO!L,,......."NALsy"! This Is DR1, NOT USA ONE!!!

No need to post "Negatives" about the USA,
Stick to the "TOPIC". "CRIME IN THE DR!"
If you actually lived in the DR,and not a "Dominican GETTO" in New Haven Conn. your input might have "some" value!
"No!",.I doubt that!
You would still be a "Pseud-Intellectual" even here!

Cris Colon,someone who actually lives in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited by a moderator:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
La coji...

Amazing how Chris edited Colon's post to NALs and did NOT forget to write that she deleted the word "parasite" from that post!.

Nice one, Chris!!.

I also thought it was "funny" as I, just like you, also like NALs.

Btw: I much rather listen to a person who lives in the DR than a person who does NOT, when it concerns the DR!.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Reading over this thread I get the impression that most of the increase in criminal activity (YES, there HAS been an increase over the past ten years) is being blamed on drugs. Granted drugs are becomming a big problem for the DR, but I think an equally important underlying factor is economic. With the government's assistance the poor are just getting poorer and the middle class is struggling even harder to keep it's head above water. People want to eat, to survive. No work, no money? It's easy. Just turn to stealing, drug sales,...anything to feed the family much less have a few pesos to buy a Presidente. With the way the government has been going the increase is no suprise,...and it's going to get worse.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
No need to post "Negatives" about the USA,
Stick to the "TOPIC". "CRIME IN THE DR!"
If you actually lived in the DR,and not a "Dominican GETTO" in New Haven Conn. your input might have "some" value!
"No!",.I doubt that!
You would still be a "Pseud-Intellectual" even here!

Cris Colon,someone who actually lives in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Aw, am flattered.:cheeky:

I didn't know it was possible to control someone via the internet, with never having met the person. Mere words expressing one's opinion about a particular subject (he's never the subject, btw) triggers a reaction in CC that is incontrollable to him, his emotions, or even his mind!

I write something and its not long until those words begin to control his emotion and mind, to the degree that he feels the need to react with a direct attack. Hm, if that's true, then that means that if I write nothing, he will not react --- I wonder who has the power is this "relationship"? The one who attacks without reason or the one who reacts to an attack?

I do ask myself the following questions and I don't have an answer to them:

1. Why do I have so much influence and control over his tranquility and emotions?

2. Does he really think he's in control when he's reacting to an opinion I made, as oppose to me reacting to his attack on me?

3. And last but not least, I wonder how he reacts to his own wife and kids in the privacy of his own home? I mean, if he reacts like this to someone he has never met, then the people directly under his control must have quite a life. :paranoid:

CC, get some help.

-NALs :tired:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just for the record, people please notice that many here are discussing the issue of crime by comparing how things were five, ten, twenty years ago.

Under such comparison, YES things are considerably worst now. In fact, such comparison just about anywhere in the world would most likely show that things are worst now than before.

However, in my post I was not comparing anything, much less to how things were a half or full decades ago. I was simply posting an opinion based on recent developments concerning crime in the DR and all recent data shows a decline, not an increase.

It could simply be a temporary decline or maybe its permanent, who knows! But what is certain is that as of now it is what it is.

-NALs

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nals, people have reported that they see a decrease (specifically in the North Coast areas where there are lots of expats) and most people are hopeful. This has been reported in various threads and over the past two months or so. I trust first hand reports from reliable DR1 members about their areas much more than what I trust 'recent data'.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nals, people have reported that they see a decrease (specifically in the North Coast areas where there are lots of expats) and most people are hopeful. This has been reported in various threads and over the past two months or so. I trust first hand reports from reliable DR1 members about their areas much more than what I trust 'recent data'.
Most people are like that and that is the reason why public opinion lags statistical evidence.

People often wait a while when crime decreases prior to believing that it has actually decreased, but data reveals such as soon as its published or made public.

In fact, data reporting a decrease in crime have been available for several months now and only recently has some people come to the conclusion that things have in fact gotten better while others continue to distrust both "data and opinion" of those claiming anything other than increase in such.

Public opinion is like the price of goods. They are quick to go up during a crisis but take their time to come down during the recovery, if at all.

-NALs:glasses:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Reading over this thread I get the impression that most of the increase in criminal activity (YES, there HAS been an increase over the past ten years) is being blamed on drugs. Granted drugs are becomming a big problem for the DR, but I think an equally important underlying factor is economic. With the government's assistance the poor are just getting poorer and the middle class is struggling even harder to keep it's head above water. People want to eat, to survive. No work, no money? It's easy. Just turn to stealing, drug sales,...anything to feed the family much less have a few pesos to buy a Presidente. With the way the government has been going the increase is no suprise,...and it's going to get worse.

I'd be the first to accept that there is an underlying economic issue which is contributory, particularly the poor getting poorer whilst they see certain politicos living off the fat of the land. However, on a pro rata basis, there are many of the poor who have not turned to stealing (although much of the frustration appears to be directed to an increase in domestic violence). The increase in the violent type of crimes I do attribute to drugs: as above, next-fix desperation or being high on crack whilst committing an offence. Poverty might be contributory to stealing but not, I suggest, to violent crimes.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I feel there's a crime decrease in the Las Terrenas area, but I don't have any number to back up that feeling. Crime season hasn't started yet (around December...)

But things do look better in Las Terrenas, it seems safer that it was those past 3 years...

As of drugs, well, what can I say ? Indeed, they are a major part of the problem... Indeed, the "big guys" are being paid in drugs rather than cash, like it was in the 90's... But society shall adapt... Step by step...

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004

Of Course...Low season...Nobody to rob. Lets see when the tourists arrive in December.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Of Course...Low season...Nobody to rob. Lets see when the tourists arrive in December.

Heliace, being a victim of crime shouldn't be a major tourist concern from what I've seen first hand. While one does hear of it occuring occasionally, it appears to me the % vs total # of visitors is very, very small. And even then, you're talking of a pickpocket or petty theft and many of the stories one hears in those instances is related to people dealing with prostitutes.

Do you have a reason to correlate crime to heavier tourist seasons?

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Navidad

Well, it doesn't have so much to do with tourism, tourists are not the prime targets of burglars and thieves, that's left to the purse snatchers.

It has to do with 'navidad' when the bad boys also want to buy gifts for their loved ones and drink and dine more than usual... :bunny:

Hence, more need, more crime.

Janin

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
"Do you have a reason to correlate crime to heavier tourist seasons?"

Give me a break... The white glow from an untanned tourist is like a beacon, day or night, and not just for thieves and hookers, but for vendors,restaurant and hotel owners...etc.
White untanned skin equals easy mark in the D.R.
Christmas is also the high season for thieves. Presents can be expensive.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i live 13 years in the punta cana area now, no closed/secured aso residence area, i live on our property in the middle of Veron, just a dominican barrio.
compared to 10+ years ago we have more criminal incidents, much more.reasons:
back in the day punta cana was more or less emty, a piece of quiet countryside on the oceanfront, today it's packed with pwoplw, more people = more numbers of crimes, but compared to the population today i don't see that we have more crimes per citizen than before.
the drugs specifically, a lot of prior posters wrote about it, they are everywhere and until the police get not stopped to be involved in the earning of drugmoney it will stay present. you can buy them everywhere on the streets, all kinds of drugs and most consumers specially of cocaine in the PC area are visitors and residents/2nd home owners.
so my opinion:
crime is not increasing
have fun
Mike

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Janin,
the other thing is that in the 90's most incidents reported never went into any kind of stats. they've been reported to the local police station, they wrote it in their book and there it is til today. those report books never been counted for any stats back in the day.
from my own feeling and looking around in the area where i live and run my business, crime isn't increasing.
Mike

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

Decrease??? Happened a lot this summer, Cabarete-Sosua area anyway, and I lost my first phone (pick pocketed)... lost phone evidence that it is a HUGE increase in the crimes... ;) Seriously, expats that live here year around know that the summer is the worst time for us. Less people to rob, BUT same amount of putas, thieves, sankies and mouths to feed... Maybe the crime level is on the same level, but less victims... so it feels like more... mi dos centavos