why DR1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlterEgo

Musical Moderators...
That was the dumbest thing ever.... and ended like it
No experience necessary.... like the inmates running the asylum

It actually wasn’t that bad of an idea. We got to see who could actually handle being a mod, who couldn’t be impartial and who could. Because it was temporary, it was like an internship. If you remember, it’s how moderation in OT originally began, mods rotating until he chose two.

The mondongo forum you’re talking about was supposed to be a total fiasco, and was ultimately a failed experiment.

A

AlterEgo

For now I will just comment on two points in your post.

Yes several members have been banned recently but I think for just cause. The members who were banned was for posting personal attacks on other members. This, in my opinion, should not be tolerated.

Will this thread be closed? I will step out on a limb and say no. The new powers to be seem interested in what members have to say to make dr1 a better board. The former boss man would shut a thread down in a heart beat if you said anything negative about dr1.

We’ll listen to any suggestions anyone might have, but a thread simply bashing this site serves no purpose at all to anyone.

In the very near future, you will see an entirely new DR1. We’ll all be adjusting to it together, and there may be some growing pains, for both members and mods. Stay tuned.

W

william webster

I suppose everybody saw it differently....

It was a time when I mostly sat it out on the sidelines.....disinterested

D

drstock

I just don't understand why people post on a particular thread, pronouncing it "boring". If you find a thread boring, there is no obligation to read it or contribute to it. If others agree that the topic is boring, it will soon disappear from view. If they don't agree, that's their prerogative, and the thread will continue whether or not you find it boring.

U

Uzin

Unfortunately you have to go through a lot of posts looking for interesting and useful ones, have to pass a lot of boring and irrelevant ones....Hence the complaint I guess. If not interested in the whole thread subject, then it can be ignored all together.

C

carlos

i once expressed the same thing to the former boss man, who replied to me that if he ever heard me say anything negative about the site he would ban me for life...

remember when the boss man started the thread with the revolving moderators? remember how certain guys had just about everything they posted deleted?

remember how quickly the thread closed when Island Dreaming became the mod?

there is more to the story as to why Robert threatened to ban you. You are not a victim here but no need to rehash the past as we try to move forward.

As for Mondongo ending quickly when Island Dreaming became a Mod is not true and some may consider what you are doing race baiting. Robert wanted to run a six month experiment and asked for volunteers. Island Dreaming was actually on the rotation twice. After Island Dreaming completed his first tour Robert decided to give the site a break from politics and eventually decided to kill the experiment. The user that got the short end was mobrouser.

Robert did a good job running the site. Mistakes were made then and mistakes will be made again. The key is to improve by learning from the mistakes.

The question is what are you, myself and everyone else going to do to improve DR1.

Below was the Mondongo Mod Lineup:

May 2018 - melphis (Bowl 1)
Jun 2018 - Robert (Bowl 2)
Jul 2018 - IslandDreaming (Bowl 3)
Aug 2018 - mobrouser (Bowl 4)
Sep 2018 - melphis (Bowl 5)
Oct 2018 - IslandDreaming (Bowl 6)

T

the gorgon

there is more to the story as to why Robert threatened to ban you. You are not a victim here but no need to rehash the past as we try to move forward.

As for Mondongo ending quickly when Island Dreaming became a Mod is not true and some may consider what you are doing race baiting. Robert wanted to run a six month experiment and asked for volunteers. Island Dreaming was actually on the rotation twice. After Island Dreaming completed his first tour Robert decided to give the site a break from politics and eventually decided to kill the experiment. The user that got the short end was mobrouser.

Robert did a good job running the site. Mistakes were made then and mistakes will be made again. The key is to improve by learning from the mistakes.

The question is what are you, myself and everyone else going to do to improve DR1.

Below was the Mondongo Mod Lineup:

May 2018 - melphis (Bowl 1)
Jun 2018 - Robert (Bowl 2)
Jul 2018 - IslandDreaming (Bowl 3)
Aug 2018 - mobrouser (Bowl 4)
Sep 2018 - melphis (Bowl 5)
Oct 2018 - IslandDreaming (Bowl 6)

carlos, spare me the lectures about race baiting. save them for people who rant on and on about Kaepernick. save them for people who refer to Kamala Harris as ''rachet'', a ghetto appellation for an accomplished woman. save them for people who refer to me as ''my nigga''. there is nobody on my side of the divide who rails against a specific group of people, day in, day out. nobody i know of started a thread titled Why I Oppose Catholicism.

accusing me of race baiting is not helpful. there are no children on DR1, and when people can be killing teenage boys for playing rap music loudly in their cars, making mention of it is not race baiting. we are old enough to be able to ask each other why...

you are free to have your opinion as to how the site was run. i am sure that if you ask a certain demographic on DR1 for their assessment, they would beg to differ.

X

xstew

xstew

We’ll listen to any suggestions anyone might have, but a thread simply bashing this site serves no purpose at all to anyone.

In the very near future, you will see an entirely new DR1. We’ll all be adjusting to it together, and there may be some growing pains, for both members and mods. Stay tuned.

You are very sly you say one thing and do the reverse in the same quote.
I stopped posting some 3-4 years ago when A E gave me 5 points and said she will ban me when she has the chance.
I never came back until now i was saving being baned for a good cause.
This is the good cause A poster can be banned with no reasonable cause just the moderator's likes and dislikes.
The main thing she disliked about me is I questioned her asking for donations for a charitable cause on i believe the North Cost. I'm all for charity but i do not believe a moderator is be the one to request the donation. That is like giving the request as if it was the policy of Dr1. I donate when i feel i have the funds to spare and the request is made for a good cause and from a unknown person or persons. She also made the ban refrenced with the fraze YOU ASKED FOR IT. Not very pro. for a rep. of DR1.
I have nothing against the Lady she has her likes and dislikes but i believe that fraze was uncalled for and the 5 points revenge for calling her out about it. The other point i said was about using the S**** word i did not use it in the form as the N***** word i refered to the word as coming from P.R. and not speaking english. I lived in P.R for 6 months before coming here in 1983 and found them to be very nice people.
If she bans me for posting in this manner so be it. So many old timers gone banned that were to me very interesting knowing people. I met Rob just i believe at the time he was starting Dr1 just after Doris closed Santo Domingo News. He seemed like a nice person just as A&E is a nice person so i joined Dr1 as the time and liked the idea of a get togather web posting page. Facebook is simular it just goes after world opinion in stead of an Island based opinion. Well i guess this is enough to get me banned forever so i will say as mcarther said when Trumen fired him. Old Dr1er's never die they just get over moderator disliked. Their should be a appeals form you could submit to defend your self.
I will now fade away good luck to all keep the site going i read it even though i can not comment.
EX XSTEW

C

carlos

carlos, spare me the lectures about race baiting. save them for people who rant on and on about Kaepernick. save them for people who refer to Kamala Harris as ''rachet'', a ghetto appellation for an accomplished woman. save them for people who refer to me as ''my nigga''. there is nobody on my side of the divide who rails against a specific group of people, day in, day out. nobody i know of started a thread titled Why I Oppose Catholicism.

accusing me of race baiting is not helpful. there are no children on DR1, and when people can be killing teenage boys for playing rap music loudly in their cars, making mention of it is not race baiting. we are old enough to be able to ask each other why...

you are free to have your opinion as to how the site was run. i am sure that if you ask a certain demographic on DR1 for their assessment, they would beg to differ.

so what if people rant about Colin or call Kamala rachet. It's called freedom of speech. Go ahead and start a thread about opposing Catholicism.

I corrected what you said about the Island Dreaming situation and I don't see you disputing it but bringing up race again. Thanks for proving my point.

I will bring up race baiting when that is what you do. Get that thousand chip off your shoulder and tell me what you are going to do to improve this site or stay away from this thread if you have nothing else to contribute.

H

Harleysrock

Today I just put on all the people who I think are too negative and not helpful on ignore. That will probably improve dr1 for me. I should have done that a long time ago!!!

Z

zoomzx11

The problems that plague this site are the direct result of Roberts policies.
Does anyone believe he just suddenly walked off happily into the sunset?
I hope the site is able to recover and the owner will learn from the mistakes they allowed.
Demanding decency, politeness and stopping racism will go a long way to bringing back the friendliness that prevailed when I first joined up some years ago.
The majority of dr1 posters are wonderful people and it is a pleasure to read their post and learn.
The hateful behaviors of a few that reflected Roberts views were allowed free rein.
I hope dr1 is able to recover and return to what it was just a few short years ago.
Letting this thread continue is a good sign that things might be improving.

Z

zoomzx11

This thread is Hysterical ...lol

What does your fake hysteria have to do with anything?
This is exactly the kind of post that damages the site by demeaning the views and opinions of other posters.

Does dr1 need this sort of contribution?
What is the value of this sort of comment?
It is not an effort to share humor.
You are not laughing or finding these comments funny.
Just come out and attack the posters in direct fashion. Or is that less acceptable so you phrase your attacks in the false guise of humor?
Have we harmed you in some way so you feel the need to post in such a belittling fashion?
Or have you gotten away with this behavior for so long it is your normal?
You are a very bright person and have a lot of worthwhile experiences to share.
An effort on your part to act respectfully would make this site a better place.

J

jd426

What does your fake hysteria have to do with anything?
This is exactly the kind of post that damages the site by demeaning the views and opinions of other posters.

Does dr1 need this sort of contribution?
What is the value of this sort of comment?
It is not an effort to share humor.
You are not laughing or finding these comments funny.
Just come out and attack the posters in direct fashion. Or is that less acceptable so you phrase your attacks in the false guise of humor?
Have we harmed you in some way so you feel the need to post in such a belittling fashion?
Or have you gotten away with this behavior for so long it is your normal?
You are a very bright person and have a lot of worthwhile experiences to share.
An effort on your part to act respectfully would make this site a better place.

Im sorry my Humor Hurt you Zoomie ..

and btw, Where is the # 1 Poster of DR 1 ? the accomplished published writer ? who has his own FB page ?
Since he was banned from OT only , HE RAN OFF.. not even contributing in the main forum...
why ?
People run off and hide around here , when they cant play the way they want in the sandbox ..

I love the way you took my small post and made up a whole story around it ..

I used to , and may still in the future enjoy YOUR posts as well..
but for gods Sake Zoomie.. you used to save peoples LIVES ( so i heard ) ..
you guys ( collectively) need to put on your Big Boy Pants, and just hash it out .. like MEN and WOMEN.
this is not a "safe space" in some College , its the Adult world .

my phrase actually did reflect my humor, it was no disguise.
I merely saw a bunch of adults , acting like kids, asking the adults in the room for the ball and the other team to "play fair" or we wanna go HOME.. that is what i saw ..

but some very valid points have been made..
and thank you for YOURS ..
I will take it as good advice ..

T

the gorgon

Im sorry my Humor Hurt you Zoomie ..

and btw, Where is the # 1 Poster of DR 1 ? the accomplished published writer ? who has his own FB page ?
Since he was banned from OT only , HE RAN OFF.. not even contributing in the main forum...
why ?
People run off and hide around here , when they cant play the way they want in the sandbox ..

I love the way you took my small post and made up a whole story around it ..

I used to , and may still in the future enjoy YOUR posts as well..
but for gods Sake Zoomie.. you used to save peoples LIVES ( so i heard ) ..
you guys ( collectively) need to put on your Big Boy Pants, and just hash it out .. like MEN and WOMEN.
this is not a "safe space" in some College , its the Adult world .

my phrase actually did reflect my humor, it was no disguise.
I merely saw a bunch of adults , acting like kids, asking the adults in the room for the ball and the other team to "play fair" or we wanna go HOME.. that is what i saw ..

but some very valid points have been made..
and thank you for YOURS ..
I will take it as good advice ..

this is a perfect example of a major part of the malaise on DR1.

this whole adolescent hypermasculinity is boring. this foolishness about Alpha Males is tiresome, and silly. not to mention the reality that the notion has long been debunked. this nonsense about people running away because they cannot compete in the rarefied intellectual air of DR1 is infantile. nobody needs big boy pants to debunk the silliness that the stock market is doing great, therefore the economy must be on sound footing.

some people just cannot bother to counter copy and paste articles ...it is tiresome.

H

Harleysrock

For me I need to surround myself with positive people, so if that doesn’t make me a big boy well I’m ok with that.

I would love for dr1 be a place that doesn’t scare so many people away bc there are some great people in here that do know A LOT!

P

PICHARDO

IMHO I think that less moderation regarding debates is a must and more moderation regarding foul language should be max.

Keeping each thread to the OP topic is also part of the moderation needed, but within the envelope.

I think banning should be relegated for spammers, foul language, and outright n i n c o m p o o p s.

Moderation must be moderated by its members first and foremost.

Let the kids play, after all this is the online realm. Nobody can hurt you, really.

J

jd426

this is a perfect example of a major part of the malaise on DR1.

this whole adolescent hypermasculinity is boring. this foolishness about Alpha Males is tiresome, and silly. not to mention the reality that the notion has long been debunked. this nonsense about people running away because they cannot compete in the rarefied intellectual air of DR1 is infantile. nobody needs big boy pants to debunk the silliness that the stock market is doing great, therefore the economy must be on sound footing.

some people just cannot bother to counter copy and paste articles ...it is tiresome.

All that Education, and yet you wont address the real reason people run off and hide ..
sorry for using Frank as an example.. but its a perfect example.
He gets a legit Temporary Ban in Off Topic ONLY (after MANY MANY warnings )

and he RUNS away, and contributes NOTHING on the main forum, where the REAL Value is contributed ..

explain how this is the " Alpha male " mentality which drove someone like him off ?

and as sure as Big Ben strikes 12 twice a day , he will return when his temp ban in OT is over

If that is not childish, I dont know what is .. ergo the need for me to mention "big boy pants",, nothing more was meant by it .. there is no secret handshake, no secret Alpha Male club... it does not exist ... its only in your minds ,, " rent free" as you like to say.

but, you are free to try and change my mind , and those of others who are thinking this through rationally ..

F

frank12

The problem with DR 1 is this:

1. Too many Trolls. Actually, that is incorrect. It's only a few guys (and yes, they are men! Not women!), but they completely dominate every thread and ruin it quickly with their negativity.

2. Too few women here having a voice that is able to penetrate the gang mentality of the Trolls. What good is a thread without an equal contribution from both sexes?

3. Meems had, in my opinion, the most fun read/thread on here with her weekly diary. A few of the Trolls jumped in and she stopped for a while, for good reason. When she came back, it was moved to another location where only women could contribute. What's good is that? Why allow a few Trolls run her out? Why not just ban the people who came and trashed her wonderful thread?

4. Robert, a good person, i'm sure, but he let his politics interfere in Off Topic, and that gave fuel to the fire for his side of the politics. The Trolls suddenly felt galvanized once he showed what and how he thought.

5. Mountain Annie provided some really good and entertaining opinion pieces and articles, but the Trolls ganged up on her as well and ran her off. She's come back with a vengeance, but for how long? How much longer before they run her off again?

6. There were some fabulous members on here, but even they ran off, and for good reason. DRob & Corsair, and another moderator from NYC, who, i think is a professor, (i got my mother's Alzheimer's...so i can't remember his name right now?) are highly educated people, both Drob & Corsair are successful US attorneys and both are really fun guys, and interesting. They're all gone!

7. I had my thread, Cabarete Diaries, that i love writing everyday--and when you sit at a bar 6-days a week, 11-years straight--how can you not write about what you witness everyday? A few people came in and starting trashing that thread, calling me a "Racist," calling me this and that. I complained. Their accusations were left standing--there still standing today. So, that's the end of that thread or any future stories from me.

8. People have vendettas, i get that. People line up with there sides of the fence and their like-minded tribes, i get that too. What i don't get is allowing a few individuals to completely dominate so many topics to the point where they run people off?

9. DR1 will survive, but Facebook will slowly take it over to the point where it's relegated to where it is at now. The problem is this: Facebook allows people to share their photos, stories, videos, etc. as easily and effortlessly as snapping your fingers. The platform is designed for it. It also allows people to sell & buy things effortlessly. It allows people to request information effortlessly. It's more "group specific" in that people join and belong to very specific groups & very specific genres. It allows greater freedom where Trolling behavior is not tolerated. It also allows you to see then real name and face of people you are discussing things with. Sure, some people try and disguise it by creating Fake profiles, but that only lasts so long before they're banned. Generally, you get to see who you are talking with, and information about them, and hence, people are not hiding behind anonymous profiles.

10. It's also free to sell items on Facebook. That in and of itself, will put the last nail into the coffin of a lot of different sites. Also, it's free to advertise!

A lot of good people left DR1. I can't see most, many, or even a lot of them coming back. Why would they? The moment that people started Trolling others, spewing their negativity & hate, pushing & bullying 50% of the voices: the females, that was the perfect opportunity to start banning individuals left and right. It didn't happen, or it didn't happen enough. That's probably because DR1 survives on some sort of numbers count--a place where the more people post, the better chances for advertisement & revenue...or something to that effect. Not sure exactly sure how it works. Don't care. With Facebook, it's free to post, sell, and even advertise to some extent. How can anyone compete with that?

A lot of older people do not do Facebook. I get it. But every single generation coming up today use it. Facebook is so efficient to buy & sell things on, and to get important information from, it's not going away.

T

the gorgon

All that Education, and yet you wont address the real reason people run off and hide ..
sorry for using Frank as an example.. but its a perfect example.
He gets a legit Temporary Ban in Off Topic ONLY (after MANY MANY warnings )

and he RUNS away, and contributes NOTHING on the main forum, where the REAL Value is contributed ..

explain how this is the " Alpha male " mentality which drove someone like him off ?

and as sure as Big Ben strikes 12 twice a day , he will return when his temp ban in OT is over

If that is not childish, I dont know what is .. ergo the need for me to mention "big boy pants",, nothing more was meant by it .. there is no secret handshake, no secret Alpha Male club... it does not exist ... its only in your minds ,, " rent free" as you like to say.

but, you are free to try and change my mind , and those of others who are thinking this through rationally ..

what do you mean by ''run away and hide''?the fact that someone elects to eschew nonsense means that they ran away?

has there been one serious discussion in the politics thread about the state of the US economy? if there has been, please point me to it. playacaribe's referring to the daily stock market numbers does not count as serious discussion.

maybe when people stop talking about conspiracy theories, and start to deal with substantive issues, some people will post their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.