Why I think I'll be leave the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
You know this country is slightly different when you are talking to your lawyer and he starts picking his nose .

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
TropicalPaul, i understand how you feel regarding the thank you issue. i play dominoes most afternoons with a group of guys. between onlookers and players, sometimes we get over 20 guys. just yesterday, i bought 20 of the new 5 peso chocolate candy bars for the guys.

not one of the 20 guys said "thank you". not one.

better yet; they all threw the wrappers on the ground where they stood, even though the dumpster is 7 yards away. one of the guys is a school teacher, two are engineers, three are lawyers, and a few work in the hospitality industry. they are not all lowlife bums.
yes, it gets rough sometimes.

Don't worry "G" we know a man of you stature would never hang out with real scumbags,

So your rep is still good here on DR1.....

They really sound like they're a bunch of productive members of society, hangin with the likes of you most afternoons playn Dominoes.....

How do I get in that game? Oh boy! Five peso Chocolate bars!! Woo Hoo!!

Must feel good to "Be da man!!"

Lowlife bums, no......

Glorified bums?

Ahhhhh, well.......

What are you gonna buy them today? Bubble gum?

Paradise suits you well......

I'm happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
and, then he EATS it!

The OP is obviously a "Quick Study".
He learned in a few months, what it takes some of us years, or even NEVER for some, to learn.
He is getting out quick, and cheap!
No wife, no kids, no house, no car,..."No Problems"!!!!!
Good For Him!!!!!!
"Bien Viaje"!!!!
Try Montana!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't worry "G" we know a man of you stature would never hang out with real scumbags,

They really sound like they're a bunch of productive members of society, hangin with the likes of you most afternoons playn Dominoes.....

Lowlife bums, no......

Glorified bums?

Ahhhhh, well.......

you can come and watch the game, beans. about playing; different story. dominoes is a game that takes brains to play. anyone can match the tiles, but very few can play well. you would have trouble learning.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Lowlife bums, no......

Glorified bums?

Ahhhhh, well.......

R&B you picking on gorgon is not going to get the Boston Celtics in the playoffs LOL!!! Taking your frustrations out on gorgon because the "C's" ( is that what you people call them LOL) are 20-40 is not cool. Just hang out and wait for the Red Sox to take the field and everything will be okay.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
You know this country is slightly different when you are talking to your lawyer and he starts picking his nose .

Is he like our local attorney, wearing his white wife beater tank top, and ALL his client files are on top of his desk?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You just need
a vacation from the DR. Watch, in a short time away you will miss it. The little things can build up into seeming big. Otherwise it's just focus, you can only change your attitude. Nothing is going to change one wit here. You do not seem dishonest enough to go into business. You will

be fine as this is just one of the longer lasting "stages" of adjustment that a normal civilized person goes through when they move to the DR. On a personal note I would get out of PP asap. Living in that dead zone will drive anyone nuts. No offense to any of the other Dr1unners who are your neighbors but I find even driving thru PP depressing.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
you can come and watch the game, beans. about playing; different story. dominoes is a game that takes brains to play. anyone can match the tiles, but very few can play well. you would have trouble learning.....

I know, I know......

I feel like such a failure in life, because I never learned how to play Dominoes.....

Assessing another persons intelligence over The Internet.

You otta write an E- Book, and title it "Dominoes - The key to never being wrong on the Internet"

Wouldn't it feel nice to swim WITH the current? Just once??

Enjoy your day.....

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
R&B you picking on gorgon is not going to get the Boston Celtics in the playoffs LOL!!! Taking your frustrations out on gorgon because the "C's" ( is that what you people call them LOL) are 20-40 is not cool. Just hang out and wait for the Red Sox to take the field and everything will be okay.

I'm Pi*sed!!!

The Celtics are not losing enough!!!

I want them to totally tank it so we can be in the hunt for a decent Lottery pick......

Rebuilding year.....

Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!

Prediction: The Chicago Cubs will win The World Series in 2033

BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Kumbaya ?

I had never experienced a place where people had so little and yet were so free and happy

I heard it 1,000,000 times (not unique to the DR by the way, Usually 1st worlder vacationing in a poor country).

Are we visiting the same island ?

PS: Dancing is not a sign of happiness it is the culture.
Drowning yourself at the local Colmado on week end is not a sign of happiness
****ing doesn't mean you are happy

DISCLAIMER: Not saying Dominicans are unhappy and miserable , but I find easier to not be too depressed when you leave day by day.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
I'm Pi*sed!!!

The Celtics are not losing enough!!!

I want them to totally tank it so we can be in the hunt for a decent Lottery pick......

Rebuilding year.....

Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!

Prediction: The Chicago Cubs will win The World Series in 2033

BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

R&B, I realy think you should try to play Dom. Nose now and then. Helps you to relax again and don't mind about the Dominicans eating choclates and spitting and throwing everything on the ground. Get used to it and try it yourself. Might be fun. BTW. Do you realy think the Sox might make it?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
If I had a choice of receiving a FREE 2bed 2bath condo in Punta Cana or the North Coast in DR or paying 35,000USD for a condo worth 300,000USD in Puerto Vallarta I would chose Mexico all day and try and come up with the 35 grand.

If it was me, I'd buy the condo in Mexico, turn it around ASAP, and live happily rent-free in Punta Cana, with an extra 315k in the bank, but I'm just weird that way.

To the OP:

DR is actually a pretty big and diverse country. I know relatively few folks who LOVE Puerto Plata (most are there for family or work). You might be happier in other areas.

If you like beaches, try Las Terrenas or Samana. Cabrera is also nice, but much quieter. The big cities have more hustle and bustle, and you can find pretty need spots in the mountains such as Jarabacoa.

There's a lot to like about DR, and judging it based on one town is about as fair as judging the US as a whole because of life in Lynchhappy, Mississippi.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
exeurodominican

Do you realy think the Sox might make it?....

I highly doubt it,

Everything went perfect for them last year......

It's really really hard to win The World Series,

With that, I will leave you with,

Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
Learn the language, and tell them that isnt the correct price. I do it daily. Stand up for yourself and dont accept gringo taxes. They are only for those willing to pay them. Miesposa would give me a load of crap if i didnt stand up for myself. And probably lose respect for me.

As far as the money tree i actually went off on one of my relatives, i told her sure i could give her some money but she would have to wait until i returned to the states to pick some money off the money tree or wait for the money storms. And i dog her ass out every time i see her. I am suprised she doesnt leave the minute she sees me. But she doesnt, and i relentlessly verbally abuse her. I have good reasons to do so.

LOL.....I agree but I speak Spanish fluently although with a ESPANOL accent.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
OP: take a vacation for a couple of months, and maybe things will be put in perspective. I think every expat who stays here long enough goes through the "I really hate DR and Dominicans" phase, usually following a burglary, violence or business failure, usually around a one year mark.

I remember how ****ed I was when my brand new macbook pro laptop was stolen from my car. By a someone in the small crowd of those smiling, every so helpful Dominicans that happened to be nearby when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere. When I confronted them about the missing laptop they were shocked that I could even think they were capable of such atrocity. "Look at our hands", - they were shouting, - "these are not hands of thieves, we are all hard working people here". So the next day I went back, found that group of road workers and apologized for my dirty suspicions, and then suggested that perhaps my laptop just so happened to fall out of the car somewhere, and maybe these nice people, if they happen to find it by pure chance, give me a call and I will gladly give them a finder fee. And what do you know, they called me in 2 hours and we negotiated "the finder fee" at 5,000 pesos (vs 60,000 it would have cost me to buy a new one). I am not sure what the moral of this story is but if I have to deal with thieves, I probably prefer the dumber Dominican ones because in what other country would I be able to buy back my very easily resellable laptop for 8 cents on the dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies.