Why is Haiti so Poor but the Dominican Republic is not? Here is Haiti’s Troubled Path to Development and Why it's not IMPORTANT to the Int. Community

Here is my two cents at a time I thought Haiti had hit the bottom, I was wrong back then, now it's worse!

Haití, ¿por qué no es importante?​

Source: https://cnnespanol.cnn.com/2019/04/17/haiti-por-que-no-es-importante-opinion-romero/

More opinion pieces on the development of the Dominican Republic and Haiti: https://cnnespanol.cnn.com/author/geovanny-vicente-romero/

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Best,

Geovanny Vicente-Romero

Remember our motto,

Attack the message, not the messenger(s)!

Reactions: JD Jones

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Here is my two cents at a time I thought Haiti had hit the bottom, I was wrong back then, now it's worse!

Haití, ¿por qué no es importante?​

Source: https://cnnespanol.cnn.com/2019/04/17/haiti-por-que-no-es-importante-opinion-romero/

More opinion pieces on the development of the Dominican Republic and Haiti: https://cnnespanol.cnn.com/author/geovanny-vicente-romero/

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Best,

Geovanny Vicente-Romero

Remember our motto,

Attack the message, not the messenger(s)!

Why were you wrong back then? In your opinion what are some of the key reasons Haiti continues on a path to destruction? Of course, we all have a good idea why it may be, but your opinion and ideas would be greatly welcome as these articles are a bit older.

Reactions: JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The DR welcomes foreigners, and foreign investment, has a reasonable stable government and develops infrastructure as much as it can afford. They could do much better on the water and electricity, but that's another topic. Haiti doesn't have stable anything and they don't welcome foreigners or foreign investment.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The DR welcomes foreigners, and foreign investment, has a reasonable stable government and develops infrastructure as much as it can afford. They could do much better on the water and electricity, but that's another topic. Haiti doesn't have stable anything and they don't welcome foreigners or foreign investment.
That is correct. I could mention a few other countries that are complicated like that nearby but we just do Haiti of course. Generally foreigners are welcome in the DR. Living in the DR and real estate doesn’t have to be a problem. Other investment and business is not that easy though.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
No offense dude, but the article doesn't say anything. It just whines about Haiti being black.

It says nothing about the elites controlling the government.
Those elites aren’t doing a very good job of that as it looks like it’s not functioning.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just for the record, the DR is just a normal developing country with an economy that grows faster than most.

The weird one is Haiti which is unlike any other country in the entire Western Hemisphere. Even most countries in Sub-Saharan Africa are doing better and are more stable than Haiti and that is a lot to say.

Reactions: windeguy and Big

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
The 2010 earthquake as well as the 2016 Hurricane have been major reasons for why things are so tough in Haiti right now. Combined with government instability that allows crime to permeate the country and aid that never reached those that needed it the most. If you believe the racists against the Haitians that reside in this forum they would have you believe there is no hope or answer for the country.

I don't share those beliefs though but it will take time and a whole lot of effort by many to turn things around for the better there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you believe the racists against the Haitians that reside in this forum they would have you believe there is no hope or answer for the country.
Except the Haitians are the first ones saying that.

Why is it no one says the same about Jamaica, Barbados or the Bahamas?

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The 2010 earthquake as well as the 2016 Hurricane have been major reasons for why things are so tough in Haiti right now. Combined with government instability that allows crime to permeate the country and aid that never reached those that needed it the most. If you believe the racists against the Haitians that reside in this forum they would have you believe there is no hope or answer for the country.

I don't share those beliefs though but it will take time and a whole lot of effort by many to turn things around for the better there.
here we go! Calling posters racists because they point out the futility of the failed government. So, they can't recover from a hurricane and a earthquake like the rest of the world. "Government instability", there is no government. It is going to take more than time and effort to turn things around. Maybe if they learn a language that the rest of the world can use as a medium would be a start.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Indeed Haiti does have many problems however I've no doubt mommy will be very pleased to know "the racists against the Haitians that reside in this forum" ain't one of them.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Wasn't the Haitian revolution the world's only successful slave revolt? Is there a modern day Toussaint Louverture out there? (Without the slaves, of course).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A Dominican-Haitian (Dominican father, Haitian mother) jourbalist currently in Port-au-Prince covering the situation there is basicslly pleaded to get him out of there. Things have taken another turn and he wants out. He says there are bodies all over place.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It was in the news that the Dominican government is evacuating from Haiti all Dominican personnel from the Dominican Embassy in Port-au-Prince via military and other helicopters (all that start with HI are DR based.) They are also evacuating other folks.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Heard Haiti’s Central Bank was attacked too.

I always noticed how it’s so easy to find info on the Dominican economy in the Dominican Central Bank website, but it’s so hard to do the same at the Haiti Central Bank website. I always thought they needed to work on that, but now they have bigger problems to deal with.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I am not a racist, but I realize there is no hope nor answer for Haiti. It is called being a realist.

Reactions: bob saunders