Will Dominican real estate crash soon? Buy Now or wait?

dolcevita

Sep 24, 2008
6 years...not good.
Dominican expat market? You would think that with the recent attempt *today* by the US senate to get the new law passed for all Americans to be able to travel to Cuba it is only a matter of time that it will affect the Dominican expat market. With my property for sale now 6 years and no bites you say oh oh. Cuba has begun building ocean front properties and from what we are hearing at least half the price of here on the north coast. Then add in no crime into the equation and I feel like I am gonna get stuck with my property here forever. Crime as of late here on the north coast is just nuts. Brent missing, my girlfriend held up for 500 pesos, etc etc etc. and let's not forget the deaths on the roadways. I'm totally screwed right?

Senators seek to lift all travel restrictions to Cuba

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
When travel restrictions to Cuba for regular Americans is relaxed, the country will still be Communist. The State owns all property including all domestic housing. The state owns all the cows, chickens and bananas to.
Citizens rent their homes and property from the government. Foreigners may apply for a long term lease as the resorts have. It is not likely the limited availability of houses and land will be opened up to individuals. Most of the world has been able to go to Cuba durng the US embargo and thus far they haven't been allowed to own property.

The country is far from communism - especially in the places where all the gringos are living. There are several towns build by the foreign companies on the shore line. Very beautiful and peacefull. No loud music, no crime, clean as in Singapore, everybody polite, medical care one of the best in the carribean and everybody speak real spanish.

As for the sales of the apartments and houses - you as a foreigner can buy what you want from a foreign company (a developer or sales co with a licence). A lot of people from Europe own property in Cuba (2 major reasons - medical care and no crime).
Look at the properties for sale there ... the prices for the beach property if you compare with NC Dominicana is way cheaper in Cuba.
Property for sale in Cuba and Property in Cuba
Property for Sale and Rent in Havana | Venta y Renta de Casas en Habana | Cuba Real Estate
Cuba homes for sale and real estate

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Not cheap. 250,000 euros for a two bedroom apartment. And more for a penthouse. 500,000 USD.

Two Bedrooms Condo apartment: Mark 01

Apartment Condo located in Miramar quarter, this is an elite neighbourhood with beautiful architecture mainly from the 1950’s, great commercial infrastructure including hotels, shops, the Miramar Trade Centre, boutiques, churches and embassies. This is modern concept Condo Building, actually composed by two buildings with a common area in between, where the swimming pool and resting area is located. The apartment is very well designed, comfortable and with large spaces. Each bedroom has its own bathroom, walk in closets built in the halls connecting to bathrooms, large kitchen with bar facing the living-dining room, and a huge terrace facing the central patio with trees and the swimming pool.

Property features: Condo apartment of 90 sq meters approx. Living – dining room.
Large kitchen with electrical water heater, oven, refrigerator and open bar connecting to dining area. Two bedrooms with windows facing the huge patio and the swimming pool. One of the bathrooms connects to the living room ( for visitors to be able to use it )
A large living-dining room, which opens to a huge square terrace. One underground parking space.

Asking price: $ 250 000. 00 EUROS

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Dominican expat market? You would think that with the recent attempt *today* by the US senate to get the new law passed for all Americans to be able to travel to Cuba it is only a matter of time that it will affect the Dominican expat market. With my property for sale now 6 years and no bites you say oh oh. Cuba has begun building ocean front properties and from what we are hearing at least half the price of here on the north coast. Then add in no crime into the equation and I feel like I am gonna get stuck with my property here forever. Crime as of late here on the north coast is just nuts. Brent missing, my girlfriend held up for 500 pesos, etc etc etc. and let's not forget the deaths on the roadways. I'm totally screwed right?

The Domincian market crashed a few years ago, with prices dropping drastically. It is pretty much at the bottom right now. If you have had your property on the market for 6 years and havn't sold it than your price is too high. Price is only relative to what people are willing to pay for for a property. If you truly want to sell it than get realistic with what you can afford to accept as your bottom line price. Cuba is not a factor right now. The Cuban government is not encouraging ex-pats to live there nor would many want to. There is no cell service or internet available to the average citizen. There is also crime in Cuba. Do you have your property listed with a realtor? If not find a good one. The odds of you selling it on your own are very slim. Regularization of travel the US to Cuba is still a ways off. The DR is way ahead in terms of, infrastructure and goods and services available. There is also no freedom of movement or speech for their citizens. Until that changes Cuba dictatorship will still be very restrictive its practices. You are talking years before Cuba is a real draw for ex-pats.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There is a total of Three Ways for Foreign investors to buy a property in Cuba:

Buying directly from one of the current foreigners who own a home or an apartment in Cuba. For a period during the 1990?s Cuba permitted the construction of some condominiums with apartments which could be sold to foreigners. Those who bought during those times are now able to sell to other foreigners who are not currently residents in Cuba. This is the best way for foreigners without family ties to Cuba to invest in the Cuban Real estate market.

Marriage to a Cuban allows the foreign citizen to become permanent resident thus being allowed by law to buy a home from local Cuban owner.

Buying a property in the names of your Cuban spouses, family members or Cuban friends: By law, the remainder of the market is only open to Cubans on the island or those Cubans living temporarily abroad. Many foreigners and Cubans emigrants living abroad are also buying properties in the names of family members or friends.

A little too complicated for my taste.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Worst part of Cuba is the nearly constant hurricane threat. North Coast of DR is nearly hurricane proof.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

I fail to see any correlation between Americans being allowed to travel to Cuba and the "Dominican real estate crash soon".
Just because a country like Cuba is poor does not mean property prices are cheap. There will most likely be buying restrictions for any Americans wanting to invest or purchase property should the Cuban government allow us to do so. Americans will continue to buy and sell property here in the Dominican Republic so long as the Dominican government allows them too.

Its unfortunate that Brent is still missing. I can understand how your girlfriend being robbed might make you feel as if crime has increased on the north coast (possibly an uptick) but it is far from "going nuts' so I think it safe to say, at least for now, you are not "totally screwed".

What neighborhood is your house located? Maybe your asking price is too high.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
I fail to see any correlation between Americans being allowed to travel to Cuba and the "Dominican real estate crash soon".
Just because a country like Cuba is poor does not mean property prices are cheap. There will most likely be buying restrictions for any Americans wanting to invest or purchase property should the Cuban government allow us to do so. Americans will continue to buy and sell property here in the Dominican Republic so long as the Dominican government allows them too.

I agree, I doubt the are going to let americans buy any property soon. All the car people are already wanting to buy up the old cars. apparently there is an old gull wing MB that is sitting along roadside people are wanting. I bet cuba will not allow that to happen. They remember the past Heck castro destroyed all the golf courses

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

I agree, I doubt the are going to let americans buy any property soon. All the car people are already wanting to buy up the old cars. apparently there is an old gull wing MB that is sitting along roadside people are wanting. I bet cuba will not allow that to happen. They remember the past Heck castro destroyed all the golf courses

we will see how the automobile market goes when guys from those outfits that rent out cars to the movie industry get there, with big bank. i can see a few of those cars on one of these televised auctions, with the announcer saying;

and this lovely 1943 Buick was one of Lucky Luciano's favorite cars.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
"Will Dominican real estate crash soon? "

If you are basing this of a price you paid from a realestate agent, then yes, as soon as you close. On the other hand, no, Cuba will have little to do with it. The prices are already depresses "from 7 years ago" as a poster already pointed out.

In DR with low taxes you can fish for years for a buyer, that is why you have high prices listed. But moving it quickly is a different matter. There is no bubble right now, not from foreign investment, anyway.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I've been here for about 15 years, both as a real estate investor and broker. My opinion is that real estate in the Dominican Republic is reasonably valued by the market but over valued by the owners (Dominican or otherwise). Market value, nothing else, dictates what a property will sell for in any country. You can ask whatever you want for a property but unless the market values it the same as you, you will sit on it for eons.

Certainly the DR RE market took a huge hit but it was so over-speculated at the time that I doubt it will ever "come back" so much as "stabilize." If you bought at the top of the speculation it will be a very, very long time (never) to get your money back. In that situation, it may be best to mitigate your loss and get the money into something that performs more to your expectations.

I seriously doubt Cuba will have any negative impact on the DR RE market. Americans are the only ones who can't invest today, everyone else is in as much as they want and can be today. Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Hey if you want cheap real estate in the Caribbean, why not move to Haiti?!!!

Actually, Haiti is much more expensive for similar quality homes.

Same for hotel rooms.

DR is a bargain in comparison.

It's the law of supply and demand.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
well, there is one bright spot; i am sure your radio has an on-off switch, so you do not actually have to hear Romeo Santos.

Well, i never listen to radio. incase you hadn't noticed, no matter where you are in this country, unless in the very early hours of the morning, you can hear at least distant tones of that sh1t, constantly. Before all I would change here, it is the repetition of music, bad quality through blown speakers over and over and over.
So no, an on off switch does not work, but I have a theory the electricity cuts are down to a guy like me, just looking for a little break from it now and again.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, i never listen to radio. incase you hadn't noticed, no matter where you are in this country, unless in the very early hours of the morning, you can hear at least distant tones of that sh1t, constantly. Before all I would change here, it is the repetition of music, bad quality through blown speakers over and over and over.
So no, an on off switch does not work, but I have a theory the electricity cuts are down to a guy like me, just looking for a little break from it now and again.

you do have some good points there, HUG. the music is everywhere, whether you care to hear it or not.

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
DR vs Cuba

IMO Americans basically have no interest in the D.R. The folks around here where I am are European. And I think U.S. Americans are fascinated by Cuba. I have strong ties to the business community of Costa Rica and they are really worried about Cuba opening up. And as C.R. is pricing itself out of reality it should be worried. Cuba has a reputation as being very safe (for those who disagree do some reading) and the D.R. has a reputation for...well Punta Cana and hookers. What else I don't know. The infrastructure of Cuba will explode, the reason being this: Countries like Costa Rica and perhaps the D.R. have huge government bureaucracies and things take years to happen if they happen at all. In Nicaragua for example, if the you approach the government with an idea and a favor offered, bingo, it happens. And the size of the projects in Nicaragua are huge (ask the Chinese) In Cuba tons of money is already there (European) and with a whiff of thaw with the U.S. more money will flow even without the U.S. direct investment. When there is a real thaw there will be so much money for hotels, Internet providers, MEDICAL providers for sure, etc, that the island will tilt. It will tilt with prosperity. Just be friends with the government and the government structure may be conducive for business. My best to the Cuban people.

(Give me Internet or give me death)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
There is a total of Three Ways for Foreign investors to buy a property in Cuba:

Buying directly from one of the current foreigners who own a home or an apartment in Cuba. For a period during the 1990?s Cuba permitted the construction of some condominiums with apartments which could be sold to foreigners. Those who bought during those times are now able to sell to other foreigners who are not currently residents in Cuba. This is the best way for foreigners without family ties to Cuba to invest in the Cuban Real estate market.

Marriage to a Cuban allows the foreign citizen to become permanent resident thus being allowed by law to buy a home from local Cuban owner.

Buying a property in the names of your Cuban spouses, family members or Cuban friends: By law, the remainder of the market is only open to Cubans on the island or those Cubans living temporarily abroad. Many foreigners and Cubans emigrants living abroad are also buying properties in the names of family members or friends.

A little too complicated for my taste.

Complicated and risky! It's never a good idea to buy property under some else's name, not even a relative.:ermm:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DR vs Cuba

IMO Americans basically have no interest in the D.R. The folks around here where I am are European. And I think U.S. Americans are fascinated by Cuba. I have strong ties to the business community of Costa Rica and they are really worried about Cuba opening up. And as C.R. is pricing itself out of reality it should be worried. Cuba has a reputation as being very safe (for those who disagree do some reading) and the D.R. has a reputation for...well Punta Cana and hookers. What else I don't know. The infrastructure of Cuba will explode, the reason being this: Countries like Costa Rica and perhaps the D.R. have huge government bureaucracies and things take years to happen if they happen at all. In Nicaragua for example, if the you approach the government with an idea and a favor offered, bingo, it happens. And the size of the projects in Nicaragua are huge (ask the Chinese) In Cuba tons of money is already there (European) and with a whiff of thaw with the U.S. more money will flow even without the U.S. direct investment. When there is a real thaw there will be so much money for hotels, Internet providers, MEDICAL providers for sure, etc, that the island will tilt. It will tilt with prosperity. Just be friends with the government and the government structure may be conducive for business. My best to the Cuban people.

(Give me Internet or give me death)

you are as right as rain. that is a very solid analysis, eloquently expressed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not understand worries about infrastructure. money talks and money works. if there is enough money you can have teams working round the clock, 365 days a year. whatever cuba is lacking can be done, in a relatively short space of time, providing there is money for the project. and i know the communist mentality well enough: when the governments wants something there is no slacking off.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
seems like to me it would have already happened if it was going to happen. why did they wait on usa?