will expats leave DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
True. However you did call me a "ladrone" (sic) and any expat i may sell a car to without negotiating is, to put it in your words, "stupid".
So, if there is no competition, are you just saying, you are better than most of us. Isn't that stupid?

And that too doesn't make sense. Of course you negotiate, but the import taxes alone add 50% to the value of the vehicle. There is no negotiating that away.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
True. However you did call me a "ladrone" (sic) and any expat i may sell a car to without negotiating is, to put it in your words, "stupid".
So, if there is no competition, are you just saying, you are better than most of us. Isn't that stupid?

Spin my words if you want. I have dominican friends that explained to me long ago how crooked the car game is here. If people get taken advantage of its unfortunate. Is it stupid to pay more for something than you should. You decide.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
And that too doesn't make sense. Of course you negotiate, but the import taxes alone add 50% to the value of the vehicle. There is no negotiating that away.

Don't believe everything you here. And 50 percent of what value?

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Yea, I pay $1200 a month alone in tuition, transportation, uniforms, and school supplies.

You wouldn't believe the list of HAVE TO HAVES from the school, that we come to find out at the end of the year was completely unneeded. Along with $600 a kid registration, paying tuition even in the summer months, and new uniforms, it adds up quickly.
If that is US$, it sounds like we send kids to the same school. Seems like every week, i get a letter asking for something extra.....buses, football, museum trips, ice cream, ...... And don't start on how the kids get days off for 'teachers meetings'. Never happened in my school.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
If that is US$, it sounds like we send kids to the same school. Seems like every week, i get a letter asking for something extra.....buses, football, museum trips, ice cream, ...... And don't start on how the kids get days off for 'teachers meetings'. Never happened in my school.

Yea, and I love the finals weeks. Two weeks twice a year of half days, or less. WTF.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
IMO the thing that really is important is that LIFE IS VERY CHEAP IN THE DR! Try to factor the cost of crime and car accidents into the economic picture.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
I have an 2005 ford f150 and 2009 nissan xterra. Talk to me privately if you want to know how much
I thought you would like to make it public, so expats would have an idea about how not to be "stupid".

The 2005 f150 is worth f*** all. The 2009 nissan xterra is usually a good deal here. Thank goodness you didn't waste your money on a kia/hyundai.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
I thought you would like to make it public, so expats would have an idea about how not to be "stupid".

The 2005 f150 is worth f*** all. The 2009 nissan xterra is usually a good deal here. Thank goodness you didn't waste your money on a kia/hyundai.

And your an expert?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Just saw the same one on FB in the DR advertised for $33k!

Interestingly enough, that same CRV is now for sale on FB for $28,500. A drop of $4,500 just like that. It's the same with real estate, people ask for "one million billion dollars" and then sit on hoping a sucker will come along.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Have you guys checked the Punta Cana - Bavaro area

for those of you complaining about electricity. Have you considered moving to the Punta Cana Bavaro area.
I have not heard anyone complains about electricity or the need to buy inverters over there. The area is newly and still being build. If enough of you moves over there better school, better service will follow.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
for those of you complaining about electricity. Have you considered moving to the Punta Cana Bavaro area.
I have not heard anyone complains about electricity or the need to buy inverters over there. The area is newly and still being build. If enough of you moves over there better school, better service will follow.
Same said 10 and more years ago. I know a few that left SD thinking the same. Most have come back already.....not all though. Some have made a good slog at it and come out moderately well.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013

Actually yes. I will visit there and look at some rentals before I make the final final decision to move back to the states. For me though mostly, it is the cost of flights to Minneapolis being significantly cheaper and shorter from PUJ, and easier flights to Europe for me.

But, it seems, rental villas are more expensive than the north coast.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
PUJ is your cheapest 'port of call'.......
hard not to live nearby......although I don't

for frequent travelers , that's the place

Status
Not open for further replies.