Wish me luck, making naan bread.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
oh boy this seems far more complicated than i originally thought. The dough is so damn sticky that I had to use lots of flour. Then it becomes white and powdery. I am not sure if I am doing it right. Mine comes out as hard wheat cookie. Let me check the date on the yeast. expires 11/2008.
let me try the frying pan method. Dammit, I have got to get it right.
Lapurr, are you the australian whom I met in sea horse ranch?
AZB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
oh boy this seems far more complicated than i originally thought. The dough is so damn sticky that I had to use lots of flour. Then it becomes white and powdery. I am not sure if I am doing it right. Mine comes out as hard wheat cookie. Let me check the date on the yeast. expires 11/2008.
let me try the frying pan method. Dammit, I have got to get it right.
Lapurr, are you the australian whom I met in sea horse ranch?
AZB

Sea Horse Ranch ? I WISH!! Thats first class all the way!!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
what about roti, can u substitute, isn't that bread similar to nan, i saw my guyanese friend make it once and she made it seem so effortless.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, lapurr's method produced much better results but I am still not satisfied. This naan is no where near as good as the ones I ate in restaurants. Do I need to build a damn tandoor to produce satisfactory results?
lambada, what is a second rising? We are not religion here or are we?
wait, could it be the missing ingredient is la pela? For second rising?
Please help, I am depressed. DMS3611 will laugh at my face every time he will see me.
I am ruined.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MAR, I am not a big fan of roti, I like the real deal, naans, tandoori style.
AZB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
lambada, what is a second rising? We are not religion here or are we?
wait, could it be the missing ingredient is la pela? For second rising?

LMAO-Oh geez you are funny!!:laugh:
I so needed a good laugh today!

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Hi AZB - MiTaverna will start making tandoori naans and chicken starting at the end of August - both will be regular items on our international menu -I have a tandoor that I bought in Miami which is arriving in 10 days..... You can come practice here if you wish or actually come teach my guys in the kitchen how to use the damn thing... :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
lambada, what is a second rising? We are not religion here or are we? AZB

No that's a Second Coming (it's all quite clean, if you don't believe me google it).

You let the dough rise twice. First all in one bowl & then again after you have broken off the little balls of sufficient size for each naan bread. If you follow me. Gives extra oomph.

If your first attempt specimens didn't work out practice balancing on head, arms, knees and other parts & when you have perfected your balancing act apply here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/78126-looking-talent.html
using the heading Naan Bread Break Dancer.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Go boy Go.......

If you get too depressed over your culinary bread making skills just give me a call and I will go buy you a bagel......hahahahaha. Better yet, call and we can go catch some dinner at Ahi Bar.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
dms3611, I was hoping to call you and then impress you with my newly perfected recipe :(. but now I have to do a little bit more soul searching. This first experiment was a total disaster. One good thing came out of all this, I have learned to make giant wheat cookies. Could I market it as pakistani Casabe?
AZB

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
How about making chapatis instead, they're a joke to make. But you'll need atta flour (durum wheat). I actually prefer this type of roti over naan.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
How about making chapatis instead, they're a joke to make. But you'll need atta flour (durum wheat). I actually prefer this type of roti over naan.

:( maybe you are right, I was aiming too high I guess.
Ok roti time, but but, I still have to learn that.
let that be my next experiment.
AZB

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Why'd you have to go and mention naan?

Now you've got me craving some korma...

Having kept an eye open for a legitimate indian restaurant while criss-crossing Santiago many times, I've yet to spy one. Do we have one (or, hopefully, more) in the area?

Sep 19, 2005
how about just leaving the women chores to the women.....

before you know it the women will start rallying and band together and pretty soon a full scale revolt will be on our doorstep....all because you wanted to tip toe through the tulips

I keep hearing the term "wife"

does she come and go

ok dont answer that

ciao, its late

bad bob

Aug 21, 2007
If you can perfect the baking end of the process, I have a suggestion for the mixing and rising. Get a bread machine. Then all you have to do is put in the ingredients, program the machine for what you are making and the quantity, and push the button. The machine knows about the kneading and risings necessary and will beep to let you know it is finished after about 2 hours.

If you are making bread, the machine will bake it as well, although it isn't as good as if it were baked in the oven.

A good basic bread machine is Breadman.

Breadman Bread Makers

Lambada is right. A good hot grill also makes great bread. I always do my pizza (with home made crust) on the grill.

Good luck.

Lindsey

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Aftab

Based on my research, naan bread is cooked at temperature of up to 500 degrees, which should be easily reached by your stove. Also, it needs to be only cooked for 5 min. if that is any help. BTW, Dave is in town so if you get it "right" give us a call for a sampling. :)

jugalbandi ? Naan Bread?deconstructed and devoured

5 kinds of flatbread: chapati (roti); tortilla(ish); naan; pita; focaccia | recipes from OUR kitchen

Thanks for the google search. I have done this a weeks ago. I am not looking for google info. i want first hand experience. Google says one thing, in practice its another thing. I think I need a oven with heat coming from above and below.
maybe my dough was not good enough. i will try to make it simpler with less ingredients.
lindsey, thanks for your info, but I am not making what you are thinking. Its a bit more involved process and totally different bread.
AZB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here is a recipe for Naan bread which I use and it works very well.

Mamta's Kitchen Recipe

Other recipes on this site are also good. The important thing for the Naan bread is to cook it on the top of the stove in a very hot cast iron pan.

I can guarantee you that this will work. However if you want it to work even better for you AZB I would add a pinch of humility, two teaspoons of kindness and a tablespoon of empathy.;)

matilda