Favorite place : The DR - Volcanic rock

Worst nightmare : Back up North in the cold - Big barren frigid rock

Most important thing in life : Good friends are rock solid

Favorite pastime : Surfing DR1 & playing poker while listening to Rock & Roll

Weirdest experience : Earthquake - Rocks breaking & shifting

Ambition in life : Professional couch potato here at Rocky's

cuas

May 29, 2006
I agree with El Tigre that this is just another chisme. What I would like to know is:

1. Who starts these rumors?

2. How can so many people believe such stuff?

For example, I still can't get my wife to quit believing that if she drinks something cold while she's hot that her mouth will "twist up" and she'll go crazy. Very frustrating indeed even when doctors support this "belief". Even funnier are women in hair salons that have to get an "injection" so that they can wash people's hair when they are hot so their mouth won't twist up!

Tell your wife to take you to a panaderia and ask about pasmo. I was not a believer like you but I learned the hard way. My father came from a family of bakers. When they get together they tell stories about workers being the whole day or night in the bakery putting dough in the open fire oven and then taking a cold shower or to go home while still hot in the rain. In the bakery they can mention names.
We were living on top of the bakery but the entrance was through the bakery. One day I was helping in the bakery then rush to take a cold shower because friends was coming over to study for a test. When we were having dinner one of my friends was laughing because the water was coming out of my mouth. She thought I was joking. My mouth was stiff and my left side of my face. My mother is not a believer and did nothing. I told a neighbor. She said you have pasmo and rushed me to a public hospital, I think the Luis Eduardo Aybar.
This happened more than 30 years ago. My mouth is twisted. I do not take smiling pictures because it will more be noticeable. When I go from cold to hot or viceverse I can feel left side of my face going numb and I start taking a lot of Vit. B and do face exercises that the doctor at the hospital taught me. Now I am a believer.
Here in the US I do not know what happens to a neighbor, I only see the ambulance but in DR your wife knows and I knew what is going on in the neigborhood.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
So how is it that in Canada during winter we would take a sauna (outdoor) and then jump in the frozen river?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So how is it that in Canada during winter we would take a sauna (outdoor) and then jump in the frozen river?
And when we were kids, we would go straight from the burning hot showers, into the pool, just for the thrill of the temperature change.
A clinical observation can be made when controlled studies are conducted with a high number of "Guinea pigs".
Just because one person, or even several people might have had a health problem after going for hot to cold, or vice versa, does not prove a case.
If a dozen people out of 1,000 needed to take a pee after the test, would that mean it makes you pee?
Even if it could be proven that an individual health problem occurred because of a sudden temperature change, it still wouldn't mean that it applies to the rest of the world.
Show me millions of people suffering the same symptoms from the same circumstances, then it would be logical to believe it might be true.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Just because one person, or even several people might have had a health problem after going for hot to cold, or vice versa, does not prove a case.

I agree but something niggles in the back of my mind .. Just because women don't usually give birth to rocks, in this instance it may well be that one women did indeed give birth to a rock? ;)
Rock-a-bye-baby?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bocatorza

Tell your wife to take you to a panaderia and ask about pasmo. I was not a believer like you but I learned the hard way. My father came from a family of bakers. When they get together they tell stories about workers being the whole day or night in the bakery putting dough in the open fire oven and then taking a cold shower or to go home while still hot in the rain. In the bakery they can mention names.
We were living on top of the bakery but the entrance was through the bakery. One day I was helping in the bakery then rush to take a cold shower because friends was coming over to study for a test. When we were having dinner one of my friends was laughing because the water was coming out of my mouth. She thought I was joking. My mouth was stiff and my left side of my face. My mother is not a believer and did nothing. I told a neighbor. She said you have pasmo and rushed me to a public hospital, I think the Luis Eduardo Aybar.
This happened more than 30 years ago. My mouth is twisted. I do not take smiling pictures because it will more be noticeable. When I go from cold to hot or viceverse I can feel left side of my face going numb and I start taking a lot of Vit. B and do face exercises that the doctor at the hospital taught me. Now I am a believer.
Here in the US I do not know what happens to a neighbor, I only see the ambulance but in DR your wife knows and I knew what is going on in the neigborhood.

And all the time I thought "pasmo" was an excuse used mostly by maids for not doing the ironing chores, by saying something to the effect, "Do?a, lo siento, pero no puedo planchar ahora, pues me acabo de dar un ba?o, y me puedo pasmar".

Cuas problem probably had nothing to do with taking a cold shower, but from some sort of food poisoning, a neurotoxin, like botulism (C. botulinum). I once met a child known by everyone in the barrio as "Bocatorza", which was probably derived from "boca torcida". He had the cutest smile, unfortunately it was impossible to tell when he was sad, since his permanent smile was the product of facial nerve damage, attributed by his parents to "pasmo" at a very early age.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
"Do?a, lo siento, pero no puedo planchar ahora, pues me acabo de dar un ba?o, y me puedo pasmar".
It's the other way around, you shouldn't go from the heat to cold in short time. In the old days women who roasted coffee would not shower for days.

I once found out that there is a very thin layer of truth to it. There seems to be a (negligible) danger in going from extreme heat to extreme cold in a very short time. But heck if I can find my source now, so take this with a great of salt... and see your doctor in the morning. :cheeky:

By the way, pasmo is Dominican for espasmo (spasm).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My grandfather once told me the story of a member of the Spanish royal family who dropped dead after drinking an ice-cold beer straight after a vigorous game of pelota vasca (like squash).

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My grandfather once told me the story of a member of the Spanish royal family who dropped dead after drinking an ice-cold beer straight after a vigorous game of pelota vasca (like squash).

Your grandfather probably didn't read the official coroner's report. There was enough strychnine in that ice-cold bear to kill three horses.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Was it a polar bear? Oh, I forgot, you're Venezuelan. :D

Give me a break! at least I got strychnine right!...;-)

Also, I'm Dominican-Venezuelan (dual nationality), and a proud owner of a valid U.S. green card.

By the way, I pronounce beer as "bear", like in, "Hey, Mack, make that a mug of bear on tap". "bee-urr", sounds too finicky, almost like if you are too hard to please...;-)

C

Chip00

Hey cuas - I hope you NEVER get heat exhaustion or stroke in the US, because EMT's or the hospital workers will kill you for sure by cooling you're head/body off with ice cold water and or ice packs!

Also, can you explain to me why no Americans ever get this disease - find out for yourself - watch an NBA game on television and see what they drink during timeouts when they sweating all over the place. BTW it ain't warm water - it's ICE COLD Gatorade! :)

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I'm sorry. We don't bring beer to big brown bears who behave badly.

I just realized, that before I learned to say "beer" in English, I would go up to the bar and demand, "Mozo, d?me una cerveza Polar". Polar happens to be the post popular beer brand in Venezuela, like Presidente is in the DR. So, my unconscious association of beer with bear in evident...

52z6h5l.jpg

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Una Lisa

Mirador,
When living in CCS many years back they called a cold draft beer una lisa.
Tu sabes por que? Just curious is all.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mirador,
When living in CCS many years back they called a cold draft beer una lisa.
Tu sabes por que? Just curious is all.

Lisa is the Venezuelan term for tap beer. You can walk up to a bar or sit at a table, and ask for a jug or mug of "lisa", and you will be served a jug full or a mug of cold beer from the tap, which is a draft beer also made by Cervecer?a Polar (Polar Bear..;-).

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Has anyone ever heard about so called brown grease, what is supposed to be under the skin of the people living in cold areas, maybe that is an explanation why canadians may go from sauna to swim.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Has anyone ever heard about so called brown grease, what is supposed to be under the skin of the people living in cold areas, maybe that is an explanation why canadians may go from sauna to swim.
Yes, of course.
We buy it at Canadian Tire, in the "Healthy Living" section.
Montly sub-cutaneous injections during the winter months, make life in Canada a lot more pleasant.
Most people still use the petroleum based brown grease, but there have been studies that show that the new organic extract from penguins is producing less allergic reactions with humans and giving longer lasting weather insulation.