Work from Home questions

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
BUT

She also explained that if I was hired that the company would provide all of my work from home business equipment. Computer, Modem, phone, etc.
My plan was to stay in NYC for the 3 week training and then set myself up in DR with the ways yoiu guys suggested to have an IP address in the US. My concern is will they be able to track their equipment?
I mean, TECHNICALLY, they didn't say that they wanted me in the states but my resume has a New York address.

Can they track the equipment?

SHALENA

Yes, they can by the IP address the machine will be issued when you connect to the internet. The bigger potential issue is PII security. They are probably issuing you a PC to ensure HIPAA compliance with PI. They may object to you removing it from the US. They will probably have it locked so you cannot add software. You may also have an issue when they need to service the computer, as it won't be within a cost-effective shipping distance.

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, they can by the IP address the machine will be issued when you connect to the internet. The bigger potential issue is PII security. They are probably issuing you a PC to ensure HIPAA compliance with PI. They may object to you removing it from the US. You may also have an issue when they need to service the computer, as it won't be within a cost-effective shipping distance.

That is exactly why she told me I would have to use company equipment. For patient confidentiality and HIPAA compliance.
I guess we'll see what happens if I'm offered the job. They still have several more nurses to interview and I have no Case Management experience so I may be worried for nothing.
Thank you

SHALENA

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Yes, they can by the IP address the machine will be issued when you connect to the internet. The bigger potential issue is PII security. They are probably issuing you a PC to ensure HIPAA compliance with PI. They may object to you removing it from the US. You may also have an issue when they need to service the computer, as it won't be within a cost-effective shipping distance.

True, but the solution to that is to site the equipment in the US (via a cheap server), and log in to the system from Santiago. She can use a encrypted access key (a la Citrix) for security.

Bottom line, remote access is cheap and relatively easy to set up, so that shouldn't be a technical impediment.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
True, but the solution to that is to site the equipment in the US (via a cheap server), and log in to the system from Santiago. She can use a encrypted access key (a la Citrix) for security.

Bottom line, remote access is cheap and relatively easy to set up, so that shouldn't be a technical impediment.

She'd still be bypassing HIPAA security protocols, and the computer will probably be locked to prevent installing remote control software on it. Violating HIPAA compliance has big big big financial penalties, which SKing could be liable for if she bypassed the controls installed on the computer (it won't matter why they were bypassed).

Better to get permission first than to implement workarounds without their knowledge.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
She'd still be bypassing HIPAA security protocols, and the computer will probably be locked to prevent installing remote control software on it. Violating HIPAA compliance has big big big financial penalties, which SKing could be liable for if she bypassed the controls installed on the computer (it won't matter why they were bypassed).

Better to get permission first than to implement workarounds without their knowledge.

Watcha talkin' 'bout Willis?

Oh, NO. I don't mess with HIPAA laws. I would lose my license.

SHALENA

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Agreed. A quick conversation with and approval from the prospective employer will likely go a long way.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
If that job does not work out use the www.elance.com site and you can enter one of your search items, working internationallyl, then you can be on the up and up from the get go. Presently there is a psychologist paying $25-$30 an hour to take her psych exams and write them in laymens terms for her to use in court! It is listed as being able to work anywhere. GOOD LUCK

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The other thing that occurred to me is if the company is international. If they are, some of those hurdles may have been addressed previously.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
My neighborhood is very quiet, have no problems with that at all. I have an Inversor also, if I needed to buy another one specifically for a home office I will do that. If I was offered a position, I will do most anything right now to accommodate. I buy 2 International round trip flights per month between $1100 and $1400/mo depending on season, on a plane every week coming or going, I pay $600/mo for a small room for when I'm working in NYC plus transportation there runs me about $160-$240/mo and eating at about $240/mo. My company pays me well but if I could snag one of these jobs I'd build a bomb shelter if necessary. I'd be making the same even though the pay is lower because I won't have all of the expenses of working in NYC.

SHALENA

It's a stretch, but if you were able to qualify for the foreign earned income exemption, you could end up with a significant raise in take home pay.

Feb 15, 2005

Very true. Major companies all have terminal servers that allow you to access secured applications from their onsite servers. All you would need is a token key from the company.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Very true. Major companies all have terminal servers that allow you to access secured applications from their onsite servers. All you would need is a token key from the company.

If the company in question was architected for that, they would not be issuing SKing a semi-complete office setup. Citrix and the like are web-enabled and would only require a proper version of IE.

I also don't believe remote access technology maintains the HIPAA security properly. So yes, there are technology workarounds, but the processes and controls on PII security are paramount here.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
I thought that everyone who earned overseas qualified for an exemption for the first .. what? 80k or so,, Not so?

There are criteria. At the least, you have to be a foreign resident or live out of the US for over about 330 days in the year. I haven't read that part of the IRS rules lately, so I couldn't tell you if there are any more restrictions. I think the first $98K or so is exempt.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There are criteria. At the least, you have to be a foreign resident or live out of the US for over about 330 days in the year. I haven't read that part of the IRS rules lately, so I couldn't tell you if there are any more restrictions. I think the first $98K or so is exempt.

The exemption is a scam anyways.. If you are self employed you are subjected to a flat 15% self employment tax..

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
The exemption is a scam anyways.. If you are self employed you are subjected to a flat 15% self employment tax..
I think that the foreign earned income exemption is only on income tax and not on the labor tax (social security and medicare). You pay that, up to a certain income level, regardless of whether it is foreign or domestic income. Half goes on the books as out of your salary and half as out the employer's pocket, but it all comes out of what the employer budgets for labor expense. So it is a tax on the laborer whether he is the employer also or not. The exemption is not a scam. If all your income is foreign you are tax exempt on the income up to the first +/- $98K and you pay the labor tax on all income resulting from your labor up to about the same amount. If your income is not foreign you pay income tax on all income and labor tax on all labor based income up to about +/- $98K. The 15% you speak of is not something devised to compensate for the FEIE, but something you pay either way. You are correct though that SKing should be aware of this also when comparing her compensation.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Would that employment be tax-exempt only because I would be living in a foreign country...even though the company is American, depositing my paycheck into an American account?

SHALENA