Wow! Effects of the Hard Rains in Santo Domingo

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Most of Santo Domingo was not affected by floods. That's why most Capitaleños knew about the flooding after seeing it in the news/radio or hearsay, not that they saw it first.
?? There was tons of flooding in Santo Domingo..
Piantini
Urbanizacion Fernandez
Herrera
And the highest recorded rainfall was in arroyo Hondo viejo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
?? There was tons of flooding in Santo Domingo..
Piantini
Urbanizacion Fernandez
Herrera
And the highest recorded rainfall was in arroyo Hondo viejo
Yes, but not most.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Total rainfall on Saturday.
Jo2isWB.jpg

Accumulation of rainfall from Thursday to Sunday.
Jo2iLiP.png

Reactions: cavok

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
They've already cleaned up the section where the wall collapsed. Wasting no time. I bet they put the same braces across the top that are on the other sections.

It always surprises me how this country manages to clean things up almost immediately where someone has been killed or where there's been a serious accident, but everything else seems to take forever. You'd almost believe that they were trying to cover up the evidence of negligence wouldn't you?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
It always surprises me how this country manages to clean things up almost immediately where someone has been killed or where there's been a serious accident, but everything else seems to take forever. You'd almost believe that they were trying to cover up the evidence of negligence wouldn't you?
As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, it's a shame the engineers don't have regular infrastructure audits and inspection. We only see them after the disasters and tragedies. This is ancient technology folks, checking for structural integrity issues. Don't need to be Musk to do this right.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, it's a shame the engineers don't have regular infrastructure audits and inspection. We only see them after the disasters and tragedies. This is ancient technology folks, checking for structural integrity issues. Don't need to be Musk to do this right.

All of them walking around saying "no es mi culpa" whilst having a good old rummage around in their boxer shorts.

Reactions: Peterj

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's on a main artery where everybody passes through, including all the politicians. Of course it will bd fixed very fast.

In the mean time, the Cangrejo Bridge on the other side of the world...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have no idea why they don’t start using manhole covers made of other materials that have no value to thieves.

It’s like the plaques placed on the pedestal of various statues and busts. They put copper and other metals plaques and then wonder why they go missing. Why not put the concrete ones as seen in many parts of the Coloníal Zone. I don’t remember ever seeing any of those go missing. :unsure:

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have no idea why they don’t start using manhole covers made of other materials that have no value to thieves.

It’s like the plaques placed on the pedestal of various statues and busts. They put copper and other metals plaques and then wonder why they go missing. Why not put the concrete ones as seen in many parts of the Coloníal Zone. I don’t remember ever seeing any of those go missing. :unsure:
You're a little behind the times there, amigo!!

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
View attachment 8812
Doesn't look so good....and that is on the outside....imagine....
They already know, it states announced as: "Tejeda noted that with the Holy Week holiday approaching and increased city traffic expected, the reopening of the overpass would significantly benefit the public. He assured that any remaining minor details would be addressed over the next 15 days during nighttime hours, further strengthening the structure to withstand hydrometeorological and seismic events."

Reactions: JD Jones