Young American/colombian wants to move to DR to teach english.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
Dude I have about the same deal going as you as for experience and schooling. I also have been certified for teaching TESOL etc. Ive had enough of Asian culture but like the weather and other perks.
Im trying to move to the DR as it has the benefits of the PH but closer to the states, way less people, and most importantly the people are western!
Ive been researching the DR for weeks now and looking for a similar gig as you are but theyre few and far between.
As much as I hate to admit it, doesnt seek realistic...
If you find a decent gig Id be pretty happy to hear about it

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Its hard even looking online... Im gonna try the month thing and see where it goes . Its ironic how so many want to leave the island for a better life while we want to go there from US ( at least me) .

I will def let you know how it progresses.

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
Btw I have a good tip for you. If and when you go for the month, ask her point blank " would you rather file for a fiance visa and live in the US or stay here and settle down". If she truely doesnt care and only worried about being by your side, shes a good catch

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
If i get married to a dominican woman that perhaps is a resident over there but lives in nyc... Would that grant me some kind of visa ??

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no apply to Marriott corporate or Hilton corporat HQ in the USA. for instance. someone here is looking for a two bedroom apartment, furnished, for $1800 a month, so that she can walk to her job at the Hilton.. now she is CERTAINLY not a local hire

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I cannot quite make it here on my $1000 monthly from Social Security. But there are a lot of people that live worse than I do, that is in tin roofed shacks and without actual running water in the house to say nothing of an electric or gas water heater. Yes one can live here on less than my income, but dirt poor.

1,000 usd monthly is around 45,000 pesos. It's OK here.

I live here for 25,000-30,000 pesos monthly and I'm not hungry, sleep well in the night, have wifi in my room and generally enjoy the life....
I dont have a car (but have motorbike) and I its been a while since I payed for sex here.

I would say that without car 25,000 pesos/ monthly is a decent MINIMUM to live here.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Man I feel you guys pain . All I can do is wate till I hit 62 and then run like hell. The hard part is what to do till then. Be greatfull you got a 62k job
I gusee save for a penshion.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
Ive had enough of Asian culture but like the weather and other perks.
Im trying to move to the DR as it has the benefits of the PH but closer to the states, way less people, and most importantly the people are western!

dont worry, after few months of being here with "western" people you will miss SE Asia very quick...
heheh

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Dfish.... Sounds like some bad life decisions. Dont you have kids that can send you something ?

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
I cant see that as a possibilty. Im still not convinced I didnt crash on the plane and am just living in pergatory

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
PH is over populated, full of pollution, scammers, ignorance, and people who have no concept of common courtesy. If this isnt hell idk what is

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Im a simple guy... Dont need all the bells n whistles.. A nice cheap small studio with a bed, wifi toilet and ac maybe would be enough. On my trip i would eat at the comedores in SD for literally 2.50 usd and a huge portion. Try eating with that in nyc. Ha !

I am mainly attracted (other than the girl) to the simple life that I saw... Even the the not rich or even middle class people have fun and enjoy life. After livin in the northeast usa all my life.... This opened a can of worms sort of to a lifestlye that is very foreign to me yet so attractive and i cant explain why. But the best things in life have no explanation. You just feel it.

In NYC its always the rat race to the top money money money ... And how can i make more. Its never enough. And alot of times its the struggle to keep up w the joneses. Im not like that but many people i know are.

We live to work here it seems.... In he carribean it seems you work to live ! Haha

I was speaking to a friend with roots in SD and he has thoughts of starting somesort of housekeeping agency . He says there is a void when it comes to repsectable, trust worthy, resource for housekeepers and the like ...even though there is a market for that overthere. I don know if its true or not but thats what he says. He has a cousin who is a wealthy lawyer with connections so we will see how that goes. He also said he has been wanting to do this but he hasnt found anyone that was serious abou considering it but after thi trip i am sooo down !Any thoughs ??

Last edited:

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
PH is over populated, full of pollution, scammers, ignorance, and people who have no concept of common courtesy. If this isnt hell idk what is

Yes, the D.R only has sophisticated gentleman and ladies who respect each other. They have a worldly view and always use trash cans.

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
Id dare any expwt who is unhappy in the DR to switch locations with me for 6 months. Youll blow your head off

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
Im a simple guy... Dont need all the bells n whistles.. A nice cheap small studio with a bed, wifi toilet and ac maybe would be enough.

I am mainly attracted (other than the girl) to the simple life that I saw... Even the the not rich or even middle class people have fun and enjoy life. After livin in the northeast usa all my life.... This opened a can of worms sort of to a lifestlye that is very foreign to me yet so attractive and i cant explain why. But the best things in life have no explanation. You just feel it.?

AC is NOT simple lifestyle here...you will be surprised with your electric bill later heheh.

yes, its true that people here have completely different work ethics and lifestyle. but dont worry - they are also greedy and love the money..they also love to impress other people with what they have..even if they barely can afford it.
not ALL people, but many of them are like that - YES.

Status
Not open for further replies.