Young American/colombian wants to move to DR to teach english.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
I have filipino coworker who loves his country and greatly misses it but when i ask him why he doesnt move there....doesnt quite explain why. Hmmmm

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
Ive lived all over and actually prefer Manila. Im in Tagaytay now and its as provincial as it gets. The surrounding neighbors have atleast a dozen dogs that bark non stop, 24/7. The neighbor behind my house has fighting roosters and he pens them directly under my bedroom window.
Bread venders drive my at 430am beeping their horns from their mopeds to alert people that they are selling bread.
Karaoke is played at extreme volumes until the early morning hours.
traffic is so bad it takes hours to go just 10 miles.
no traffic rules what so ever, the streetlines arent even a guidline, theyre just there.
Most people eat dried fish with most meals so there is a gutwrenching odor that fills your house a few times a day.
all motorized vehicles are modified to be as loud as humanly possible.
beggars and scammers continually try to figure out ways toget money from you. From jumping mu gate to knocking and calling for me from outside.
the food is really bad and imported food is 2 or 3 times the price.
no common courtesy in any walk of life here. Even the basics are missing.
beaches are terrible. Over crowded, full of rocks and garbage, and very hard to get to. Plus theyre dangerous and not free.
if you drive, you will be pulled over daily and extorted by the cops.
basically foreigners are exploited on every single transaction and opportunity.
Beef? Think again, worst meat ever and very expensive..
so many i could go on forever. Just never move here please

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
They will all lie to you. Filipinos do not tell the truth, especially about their country. They will tell u it is full of great food, happy and friendly people. Its not true, none of it.
Theyre trained at an early age to have this "pinoy pride" but its so shallow and meaningless it will make you sick. No pride to npt trash the environment but boy are they proud of any pinoy who makes the world stage. Just a terrible place

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Im a simple guy... Dont need all the bells n whistles.. A nice cheap small studio with a bed, wifi toilet and ac maybe would be enough. On my trip i would eat at the comedores in SD for literally 2.50 usd and a huge portion. Try eating with that in nyc. Ha !

I am mainly attracted (other than the girl) to the simple life that I saw... Even the the not rich or even middle class people have fun and enjoy life. After livin in the northeast usa all my life.... This opened a can of worms sort of to a lifestlye that is very foreign to me yet so attractive and i cant explain why. But the best things in life have no explanation. You just feel it.

In NYC its always the rat race to the top money money money ... And how can i make more. Its never enough. And alot of times its the struggle to keep up w the joneses. Im not like that but many people i know are.

We live to work here it seems.... In he carribean it seems you work to live ! Haha

I was speaking to a friend with roots in SD and he has thoughts of starting somesort of housekeeping agency . He says there is a void when it comes to repsectable, trust worthy, resource for housekeepers and the like ...even though there is a market for that overthere. I don know if its true or not but thats what he says. He has a cousin who is a wealthy lawyer with connections so we will see how that goes. He also said he has been wanting to do this but he hasnt found anyone that was serious abou considering it but after thi trip i am sooo down !Any thoughs ??

that sounds like a nice vacation experience .... but day to day life is another issue on a small budget. Take your time and dont burn any bridges in the mother land. You could be stuck later in life like Derfish with no money and a miserable life if you dont take advantage of your peak earning years.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
as for the noise and respecting others space and privacy - I dont see any difference between here and Philipines.
maybe you should try Thailand or Indonesia ?
Ive lived all over and actually prefer Manila. Im in Tagaytay now and its as provincial as it gets. The surrounding neighbors have atleast a dozen dogs that bark non stop, 24/7. The neighbor behind my house has fighting roosters and he pens them directly under my bedroom window.
Bread venders drive my at 430am beeping their horns from their mopeds to alert people that they are selling bread.
no traffic rules what so ever, the streetlines arent even a guidline, theyre just there.
Most people eat dried fish with most meals so there is a gutwrenching odor that fills your house a few times a day.
beggars and scammers continually try to figure out ways toget money from you. From jumping mu gate to knocking and calling for me from outside.
beaches are terrible. Over crowded, full of rocks and garbage, and very hard to get to. Plus theyre dangerous and not free.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Why hate on Darfish he is where you wish you were in the DR and he has $1000. You are only dreaming of what he has.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
that sounds like a nice vacation experience .... but day to day life is another issue on a small budget. Take your time and dont burn any bridges in the mother land.

Good advice. :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Replace dried fish with chicken,
Replace baker guy on a moped with vegetable truck and/or advertising through 19 oversized speakers truck

And u 'll have a rough idea of the life in the dr.......

Ok only ( half ) joking :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
prying money out of dominicans is a tuff job...it takes time...unless of course you have a big store and invested millions they will come and buy something...400pesos...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
bTW i am also very fluent in spanish

I dont know .. Im just following my heart. And yes , unfortunately it DOES involve someone I met on a trip. But we didnt even have sex just quality time. Not many peoplein my past have made me feel this way.

I understand that I will not make $27 US per hour as I do here with my union job. And i am ok with that as long as I can cover my basic expenses. I find that people seem happier and more jovial over there thankn cold NY.

I dont want to have a " what if " moment where i wonder what if i wouldve done it but didnt do it.

Love can make you crazy so im giving it time for my heart to simmer. I just want to plan ahead....

I also planon saving up before I go....

Would it be stupid for a person making 65K a year with benefits in NY to take this leap of faith ???

To answer your last question, YES. Sadly there have been many guys that have come on vacation to the DR and gotten "island fever" The women in the DR are not like what you find in the US. They are looking for someone to pay for their life style or lack there of. You are it. PLEASE, please do not give up your job for a pipe dream. This leap of faith is smoke and mirrors and you are crazy to give up what you have for someone you hardly know in a country you know little about. I can't say emphasize this stronger. I am sure others on this site will give you their opinions also. Good luck

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Im a simple guy... Dont need all the bells n whistles.. A nice cheap small studio with a bed, wifi toilet and ac maybe would be enough. On my trip i would eat at the comedores in SD for literally 2.50 usd and a huge portion. Try eating with that in nyc. Ha !

I am mainly attracted (other than the girl) to the simple life that I saw... Even the the not rich or even middle class people have fun and enjoy life. After livin in the northeast usa all my life.... This opened a can of worms sort of to a lifestlye that is very foreign to me yet so attractive and i cant explain why. But the best things in life have no explanation. You just feel it.

In NYC its always the rat race to the top money money money ... And how can i make more. Its never enough. And alot of times its the struggle to keep up w the joneses. Im not like that but many people i know are.

We live to work here it seems.... In he carribean it seems you work to live ! Haha

I was speaking to a friend with roots in SD and he has thoughts of starting somesort of housekeeping agency . He says there is a void when it comes to repsectable, trust worthy, resource for housekeepers and the like ...even though there is a market for that overthere. I don know if its true or not but thats what he says. He has a cousin who is a wealthy lawyer with connections so we will see how that goes. He also said he has been wanting to do this but he hasnt found anyone that was serious abou considering it but after thi trip i am sooo down !Any thoughs ??

a housekeeping agency is an odd choice since the one thing that everyone here has is a maid.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
didn't read the whole thread but here is my input:
simple life can be more miserable than prison life if you have limited income. wait till summer kicks in and you sleep at night without electric (blackout) and become buffet dinner for mosquitoes while you roll in bed in misery from extreme tropical heat. In order to live comfortably you need a power inverter, a good fan and A/C to at least to sleep comfortably. now if your dominicana GF sees that you are flat broke and can only afford a simple apartment, no decent car and eat simple meals then you can kiss your true love goodbye. she can get all that from a local dominicano.
if a girl is satisfied with all that what you have to offer then she must be coming from very harsh conditions in life. we know nothing about her or how you met her. if you are single guys, half decent looking and not over 50+ then stop right there and start to think from the bigger head. I am surprised to see you are colombian yet you are not interested in colombianas. I think colombian women on the average are far prettier and far more elegant than an average dominicana. then you have cities in colombia which are even cheaper to live in as compared to DR with 24 hrs lights and running water with more comfortable weather. examples: armenia, pereira, manizales and even bucaramanga.
so I am at a loss as to why you are choosing Dr over colombia? then you mean to tell me you come to the island to meet a girl and didn't bother sleeping with her? this is considered a big giant BOBO act. If she is a born-again christian girl, then I understand but if she is an average dominican lady then I have a feeling you were very impressed by her and just didn't want to risk making her upset. in reality, you have just proven yourself to be more BOBO (pendejo) than a true man. this is just my opinion. so wake up man, just work in NY, make your money, come here and have fun and then just go back to your life in NY. do not rent an apartment and support her life fully. the moment you are gone, her family and her chulo will move in and live off your money. Of course she could be the one girl who is different but most foreigners who maintain a girl here are actually paying for her family and her BF. I can tell you from experience that i have dated many many girls in santiago and in other cities who have BF or husband living out of country, who pay for her apartment, car in DR. this is very common here.
good luck.
AZB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
To the OP-people who don't have experience dating pretty girls at home should not do so in a foreign country. It's usually so distressing that we have people wanting to relocate for no other reason than to be with the only pretty girl that's ever paid attention to them in their lives.

If you're dating a woman in the DR who would never give you the time of day in your home country, you need to calm yourself and not overreact.

That's not to say you can't make it work for you, it's just that if you are suddenly so desperate to move to Santo Domingo under the pretense of chasing a woman, you're doing it for all the wrong reasons.

And your skill set in terms of employment are a dime-a-dozen. The DR doesn't need anther hospitality expert. If you had skills that could translate into a successful relocation, maybe. But that's not the case here.

Stay home, visit every once in a while, and relax. It ain't that serious.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Stay home, visit every once in a while, and relax. It ain't that serious.

Couldn't said it better myself.

OP, please give us an update in the future.

We are done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.