Your label

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Immigrants are usually defined as people who have come to a different country in order to live there permanently, whereas expats move abroad for a limited amount of time or have not yet decided upon the length of their stay,”
(CEO InterNations)
So how long do you need to have lived in The Dominican Republic to earn the title of immigrant?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've never heard anyone referred to an an immigrant here - except maybe an illegal immigrant. There are a lot of countries in the world that have expat communities. These expats live there full time.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
There is a very interesting sub-text here, when you refer to immigrates as illegal

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm not sure how interesting it would be here(?). That topic has been beaten to death many times already.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I'd like the opportunity to explore it. For example you used the term immigrant with a derogatory implication. However, I don't know where you are from but I bet your mother country was built with the assistance of ingenious immigrants, as was mine.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'd like the opportunity to explore it. For example you used the term immigrant with a derogatory implication. However, I don't know where you are from but I bet your mother country was built with the assistance of ingenious immigrants, as was mine.
You sounds like you've already decided how other people think and feel. I consider myself an immigrant. I have Dominican citizenship, I have business interests and family interests here. I don't really care what others think about me, that's their problem.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
@Mods; topic starter is same person as in other topic pushing the discussion into the wrong direction. Can this be stopped?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
In my 10 years of living here I've only heard foreigners referred to as two things,
"gringos" (sometimes referred to as gringo americano, gringo venezuelano, ect) or "hatianos"
legal or illegal seems to (when speaking about one's legal status) depend more on
where your from than anything else and personally I have no problem with it.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
@Mods; topic starter is same person as in other topic pushing the discussion into the wrong direction. Can this be stopped?

What is the wrong direction?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
In my 10 years of living here I've only heard foreigners referred to as two things,
"gringos" (sometimes referred to as gringo americano, gringo venezuelano, ect) or "hatianos"
legal or illegal seems to (when speaking about one's legal status) depend more on
where your from than anything else and personally I have no problem with it.
I've only heard the word Expat on the everything where do I buy a pool pump sites. I worked in Switzerland out of school and i was considered an expat. In Sosua, you're just a monger

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Personally I always think expat vs. immigrant depends on intention when you depart your home country. Are you planning to spend a relatively short period of time in another country? Expat. Are you never planning to return to your home country? Immigrant.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Generally speaking...
An expatriate might be an individual who, by choice, relocates and resides in a country other than his/her own.
In other words, coming from a place of privilege.
An immigrant could be an individual who, out of necessity, makes the move to provide a better way of life for him/herself and or the family or to escape persecution in his/her own country.
In other words, coming from a place of need.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Immigrant: Someone who moves to another country to live permanently.

Expatriate: Someone who resides outside of his/ her native country.

Expats, on the other hand, are temporary residents, who visit a country temporarily and return to their country.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've only heard the word Expat on the everything where do I buy a pool pump sites. I worked in Switzerland out of school and i was considered an expat. In Sosua, you're just a monger
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Add that to the list of reasons I choose to live here in Santiago.
Gringos for the most part are not respected in Sosua.... with mongers
being at the very bottom of that list.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Generally speaking...
An expatriate might be an individual who, by choice, relocates and resides in a country other than his/her own.
In other words, coming from a place of privilege.
An immigrant could be an individual who, out of necessity, makes the move to provide a better way of life for him/herself and or the family or to escape persecution in his/her own country.
In other words, coming from a place of need.
That sir...
Would make them a refugee.

Reactions: AlaPlaya