youth centre made of plastic bottles opens in DR

May 29, 2006
Cinder blocks are cheap and plastic bottles are recyclable. I don't see the point and I worry about the safety for anyone under the walls. No rebar, no aggregate, and nothing to prevent cracks. Bad idea. You would never lay a brick wall like that, so bottles will work better? All they need is a wolf with a healthy set of lungs and it's game over.

That "window" with the kids sitting on it is a point of failure for sure.

Last edited:

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If it looks like rebar, feels like rebar then it probably is

rebar.

album-72157651122101057

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i can only see rebar in columns, not in the wall.

Is rebar needed? I would not consider it a concrete wall but a plastic bottle wall. Not a really good comparison but when stone walls are built rebar is not used.

Since the walls appear to be non load bearing walls are building requirements different. The article did mention engineers designed the building so I will guess they knew what they were doing.

If the wall blows over you get bombarded with a bunch of plastic bottles and some concrete chips..............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is rebar needed? i don't know. that's why i asked. there is rebar in the walls of our house, for example.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
is rebar needed? i don't know. that's why i asked. there is rebar in the walls of our house, for example.

Structual engineering is not my thing, I am into the electrical aspect.

Not trying to stir the pot but I just question how some can be so sure the wall is doomed to fail when not seeing the design specs, not visited the site during construction, and as we well know not seen the completed building.

I am still under the assumption walls are designed differently depending upon whether they will support a load or not. The bottle walls seem just as strong as a wall of metal studs and sheet rock............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in a similar way one could question how some can be so sure the wall is NOT doomed to fail when not seeing the design specs, not visited the site during construction, and as we well know not seen the completed building. just sayin'.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
in a similar way one could question how some can be so sure the wall is NOT doomed to fail when not seeing the design specs, not visited the site during construction, and as we well know not seen the completed building. just sayin'.

Exactly, so I made no vocal opinion either way. It was mentioned the bottles would start to break down when exposed to the sun. I looked at the links you posted and from what I could see the bottles are NOT being exposed to the sun as the entire exterior walls are concrete. Just sayin'

Matter of fact looking at the second link you posted it appears the bottles are not exposed at all but are used more like a filler....... as far as we know it is possible they used wire mesh every so many courses of bottles.

I give the project the benefit of the doubt and just from reading the article and seeing a few pics I would call it a success......... Just me, but I don't always jump on the bandwagon thinking Dominicans can't do anything right.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
I just hope they're not planning on a concrete roof. They're doing essentially a post and beam construction with the reinforced pillars then filling in the walls with garbage. They need concrete lintels (or better metal I beams) that can handle the spans as if it was an open box construction if they're planning on a concrete roof.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
that the bottles are exposed?

Covered with a "splash" of cement does not make them exposed.

The link I posted, any predictions which structure will be the first to have a wall collapse?

The bottle structure is something new to me and quite innovative in my opinion. I would have loved to see the project in it's construction stages.

Thanks for posting the article, I think we all learned something.....................