youth centre made of plastic bottles opens in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you can still see the bottle i say it's pretty much exposed. like a hillary clinton with makeup but without a paper bag over her face.

and i learn not to post goody stories, that's for sure.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.....and i learn not to post goody stories, that's for sure.

Nothing wrong with posting "goody stories". Maybe peeps need to read and understand the "goody story" before being so quick to say it won't work.............:classic:

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
i feel that you wanted to attach a picture but it did not work.
Yes I did, was at work and for IT reasons can't see any posted images on DR1 on the computer there. I assumed it had posted.

https://flic.kr/p/qRQH45

Other than this link to the picture above, there is no way to directly post the picture here. Looks like rebar to me.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, this is not a new method of construction. The person who developed the method using plastic bottles is an engineer, and engineers were consulted for the DR project. Plastic bottles are estimated to take 300 years to decompose, and we know that they aren't recycled in RD, so I really don't understand the negativity.

More goody stories are needed here.

:classic: mob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Other than this link to the picture above, there is no way to directly post the picture here.

really?

2psoo42.jpg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, this is not a new method of construction. The person who developed the method using plastic bottles is an engineer, and engineers were consulted for the DR project. Plastic bottles are estimated to take 300 years to decompose, and we know that they aren't recycled in RD, so I really don't understand the negativity.

More goody stories are needed here.

:classic: mob

As I mentioned I had never heard of this concept before but after doing some Google research it is pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/LPxXH7rCSHQ

(maybe one day I will learn how to embed the video in my post) LOL

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
use insert video icon, second from the right in a row of icons above the space to type. copy and paste the link, click post.

[video=youtube;LPxXH7rCSHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPxXH7rCSHQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
use insert video icon, second from the right in a row of icons above the space to type. copy and paste the link, click post. .....

Thanks, didn't see it but I will look again. Sometimes I am a little slow........ LOL

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i would think adobe construction will work in the d.r. rammed earth construction type of cheap building that is grass roots...long lasting and better (cooler)..temp wise...
of course dom's want tolive in a concrete surround..

May 29, 2006
i would think adobe construction will work in the d.r. rammed earth construction type of cheap building that is grass roots...long lasting and better (cooler)..temp wise...
of course dom's want tolive in a concrete surround..

My dad was doing adobe construction in the DR some 40 years ago with Peace Corps. It was rejected outright by the Dominicans~ anything made of "mud" was for the poorest campesinos, regardless if it was made into bricks or what it looked like finished. I told Hillbilly about it and he mentioned the same issue with his projects at the time.

I was just a kid, but remember the brick forms and the crew cranking out a couple hundred bricks an hour.

Cinder blocks are cheap and sometimes donated by the government. They're the preferred material. If it ain't broke, don't fix it..

Making bricks.. took a couple times before I noticed the wire for trimming the excess.
[video]http://www.wimp.com/onebrick/?old=1/[/video]

Last edited:

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Omfg

The point is that it's 40 years later. People now consume huge amounts of water and other beverages from 500 ml plastic bottles and those bottles aren't being recycled. What is wrong in finding another use for those bottles after they've been emptied?

If we all lived with the " If it ain't broke, don't fix it." attitude the wheel, or the combustion engine, or the iphone wouldn't exist.

May 29, 2006
Bottles are easily recycled. Making buildings out of them is idiocy. Would you build your house out of them? I wouldn't.

Put a peso deposit on bottles~ the garbage vanishes, and the bottles go back in the melt.

May 29, 2006
I will say it looks better than the ruble construction used in Haiti that killed so many people in the quake. How many bottles equal a cinder block and how much more labor? If it's not cost effective with paid help filling the bottles, it's going to have a very limited market.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The point is that it's 40 years later. People now consume huge amounts of water and other beverages from 500 ml plastic bottles and those bottles aren't being recycled. What is wrong in finding another use for those bottles after they've been emptied?

If we all lived with the " If it ain't broke, don't fix it." attitude the wheel, or the combustion engine, or the iphone wouldn't exist.

That argument doesn't work because it's a "weak" wall. Plain and simple. Mortar cement is NOT designed to stick to plastic. Sure, it will stick at first but will not stand the test of time. Plastic bottles are not designed to take the same loads as a masonry block. They're designed to temporarily hold a liquid. It wouldn't pass normal building codes. So why would you want to force it on a 3rd world country (not that they'll let you)? The best way to build in any locale is to use readily available materials that provide strength and durability, coupled with available labor and expertise. The Doms have already figured that out.

I guess you could glue your bottle wall together with plastic cement. Encase the whole thing in polyurethane with little plastic rebar running thru it. But than you'd have a carcinogenic house.

May 29, 2006
It's not like they need to make the bottles out of plastic. Used to be every bottle was glass on the island and all the soda bottles were the same with different colored caps. Maybe they can make light fixtures out of all the Styrofoam coffee cups since washing is too hard now. Give IKEA a run for their money...

ffc1a0ee7fd2018909bab9e54b43c5b1.jpg