Zika

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Isn't the only way to say you have Zika to test specifically for that virus in your blood !?

I mean, just because you are tired a bit and have fever and a few other symptoms surely can't be enough, it could be a lot of other things...

When you have been here a while and see enough people with enough symptoms, there is no need to go to a usually pretty incompetent doctor who will no make any diagnosis without an expensive blood plus poo and pee test to tell you what you already knew. Plus there is no treatment. Zika, Chikungunya and Dengue are all different and the latter is the one to watch out for especially if you have had it at least once before. Zika is low grade fever, conjunctivitis and bright red eyes, full body rash, aching joints and feeling tired. Dengue has a much higher fever and Chikungunya has no conjunctivitis but joints are more painful and lasts for longer. The only reason you need a diagnosis for something by means of a blood test is to help the government with their figures or to receive the correct treatment and given there is no treatment for Zika then a waste of time and money for a couple of days discomfort.

Matilda

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Once a person is recovered from Zika, is the virus completely wiped out from the body or does it stay with low numbers and dormant ... !?

Aug 6, 2006
Once a person is recovered from Zika, is the virus completely wiped out from the body or does it stay with low numbers and dormant ... !?

An excellent question.
Who knows the answer?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

studies are underway but it's already known that zika virus lives longer in semen than in bloood, for example. there have been several cases of contracting the disease after sexual intercourse. zika is also present in other bodily fluids.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe I missed this but where can you get tested for Zika and how much does it cost?

Unless things have changed since the Spring, the only place doing testing is the CDC in US. It's expensive, has to be sent there. It only seems to be dangerous for pregnant women. Everyone else heals in a couple of days.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
testing for zika in DR has been available since february:

Ah, okay, good to know. When my nephew in SD had it, they said they couldn't test in DR, and the test was something like $50USD.

Referencia is an excellent lab, but not cheap, and certainly not free. My husband had his dengue tests there twice, along with other blood tests. Both times the cost was over 4,000 pesos for everything.