good neighbourhoods near sosua

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I am not familiar with what you can get for $600/month on the North Coast, but there are nice 2 bedroom condos in the $600-800 range in Bavaro. All in gated communities, a short distance from the beach.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

What happened to the rest of the tub surround? Must be somebody's idea of an access panel?

9791336255.jpg

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What was it here in the DR that motivated you to leave??????
Might shed some light on possible things/areas to avoid!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I left for personal reasons. It really had little to do with the DR itself. My attitude was always to buy a condo for my use and not to rent out. My wife and I decided to give it up to help our daughter, a single parent , with our grandson. My wife also had health issues in the DR and never really felt well. We were using the condo for 6 or 7 months and then spending the Summer and part of Fall in Northern NY State. It does not make sense to me to own if I am not planning to use it myself. If you are not there it is difficult to stay ahead of the maintenance and upkeep needed. I did not want to pay a continuous monthly fee. I also had a vehicle there that I needed to keep in storage. Will all that being said I decided to liquidate everything(at a loss) and not have to concern myself with the situation. I am happy I did. In light of the fact that life in the DR seems more complicated and crime is worse I am certainly not unhappy with my actions. I loved living in LT and had a great experience and do miss it at times but glad I don't have to worry about the property.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I'm not one to stomp on the dreams of others. If the OP is committed to moving here, I'd say come on down. One has to do the research to appreciate the costs & reality of living here, the legal steps to legally reside here, some of the daily difficulties and fully understand that "you aren't in Kansas anymore" (at least she is asking questions and that is a good thing).

Most importantly, you need a rescue plan. If everything falls apart and you come to hate it or have to go home, you need the ability to do so. Put $20K is a CD in your favorite bank at home and leave it there. Whatever is left over is what you have available to fund your dream move.

If you have to bail, you have more than enough $$$ for airline tickets, shipping your stuff home and some left over to get setup up again. Living here and not having the where-with-all to get somewhere else should the need arise is too limiting for me. Money is the single most important consideration when one has to overcome obstacles here. otherwise your only options are sacrifice and concession.

Just think of what happened in Zimbabwe when the locals decided foreigners were no longer needed. I'm not suggesting that will ever happen here, but one needs options if the unimaginable ever comes to pass.
Thanks great advise, but if she had an extra $20,000 to put into a cd she wouldn't be looking for cheap housing.
I wish her all the best and hope her learning curve is quick

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Thanks great advise, but if she had an extra $20,000 to put into a cd she wouldn't be looking for cheap housing.
I wish her all the best and hope her learning curve is quick

Do you really think that there are adults out there from the first world without 20 k ? That blows my mind

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I'm not one to stomp on the dreams of others. If the OP is committed to moving here, I'd say come on down. One has to do the research to appreciate the costs & reality of living here, the legal steps to legally reside here, some of the daily difficulties and fully understand that "you aren't in Kansas anymore" (at least she is asking questions and that is a good thing).

Most importantly, you need a rescue plan. If everything falls apart and you come to hate it or have to go home, you need the ability to do so. Put $20K is a CD in your favorite bank at home and leave it there. Whatever is left over is what you have available to fund your dream move.

If you have to bail, you have more than enough $$$ for airline tickets, shipping your stuff home and some left over to get setup up again. Living here and not having the where-with-all to get somewhere else should the need arise is too limiting for me. Money is the single most important consideration when one has to overcome obstacles here. otherwise your only options are sacrifice and concession.

Just think of what happened in Zimbabwe when the locals decided foreigners were no longer needed. I'm not suggesting that will ever happen here, but one needs options if the unimaginable ever comes to pass.

I don't think you would need 20K "just in case"... The best solution, BEFORE shipping everything here, would be to come down here for a trial period of 3-6 months. You rent a furnished appartment or house and see if you will adapt and ajust to the lifestyle of the DR. THEN, if you are happy, adapted and ajusted to this kind of life, you can make arrangements to have your stuff shipped from Canada... Less troubles and much more cheaper at the beginning. And IF, by any chance, you don't like it, you have just a couples of luggages to pack and don't need a fr*cking 20K to go back to Canada. SO SIMPLE....

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Do you really think that there are adults out there from the first world without 20 k ? That blows my mind

Sure, lots of people. The last several years have been really rough on more than a few folks. Many are emerging from bankruptcies, divorces, protracted illnesses, layoffs, having to raise their grandkids, etc.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Probably the majority. Are you of the 1% we keep hearing about?

If somebody works for 50 k and sets aside 10% they are there in 4 years. Many people work for companies with employer matching clauses etc they should be able to get there in no time. I have a tough time getting my ahead around folks that work their whole life and have nothing to show for it. Here I understand, people are born poor and die poor but in the first world there are no excuses other than catastrophy

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If somebody works for 50 k and sets aside 10% they are there in 4 years. Many people work for companies with employer matching clauses etc they should be able to get there in no time. I have a tough time getting my ahead around folks that work their whole life and have nothing to show for it. Here I understand, people are born poor and die poor but in the first world there are no excuses other than catastrophy

i almost responded in depth, but i thought that you were being sarcastic, or something. that is why i mentioned the tongue in cheek thing. please don?t tell me you are serious.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sure, lots of people. The last several years have been really rough on more than a few folks. Many are emerging from bankruptcies, divorces, protracted illnesses, layoffs, having to raise their grandkids, etc.

i also heard about some folks whose houses were foreclosed in this thing i heard of called The Great Recession. rumor has it that some are actually in debt.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
i also heard about some folks whose houses were foreclosed in this thing i heard of called The Great Recession. rumor has it that some are actually in debt.

Things happen and its important to be prudent and not take on debt loads that are not sustainable. We have all had our ups and downs financially. I am referring to people that are nearing the end of their working years and are planing to retire. If after 35 plus years of working they havent been able to get 20k together they have nobody to blame but themselves

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Things happen and its important to be prudent and not take on debt loads that are not sustainable. We have all had our ups and downs financially. I am referring to people that are nearing the end of their working years and are planing to retire. If after 35 plus years of working they havent been able to get 20k together they have nobody to blame but themselves

ok..i hear you.