How to spend election day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
The other 50% turned up fashionably late so they need another hour...

Sorry, wasn't thinking. Now I'm going to have to hear how all Dominicans can tell time.

hahaha..... you nailed it. Tic....Toc. Where's his royal Dominican highness?

Oct 11, 2010
@ Willie - This is the best we got goin' on!
I have an extra RD200 pesos for pollo later.

Tambo, you know the political players here in Sos?a

The winner's hand was played perfectly . . . albeit with plenty of help ($$$)

I'm just glad I hitched my wagon to the right horse!

Your "PUN" acknowledged although surely not intended, my bold by the way. Not a slight to WW or any candidate for mayor.:cheeky:

It looks like some people are already celebrating.

I'm out. Had enough to last another four years.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You seem to believe that we Dominicans are stupid enough to do things that quite clearly make no sense whatsoever. I ma talking about the 'buyers' who supposedly are giving lots of money (it accumulates) hoping that 'sellers' will do something the buyer has no way whatsoever to verify

Why doesn't it happen with anything else other than voting? People giving money away hoping they will get goods or services later, without any guarantee they will.

I am not stupid, and don't think vote 'buyers' are either.

Okay, now that you have REPEATED that a ZILLION times....

First, this year I STAYED home, so my answer will be from the LAST election.

ONE of the ways it WORKS in SOME barrios is that MONEY is NOT given by the local POLITICAL party REPRESENTATIVE at the time of vote BUYING.

The people only RECEIVE their MONEY if the candidate WINS, the local POLITICAL party representative then PAYS them.

So, THERE is one explanation as to HOW they sort of guarantee the VOTE buying to insure that the people VOTE for the CORRECT candidate.

The INCENTIVE is "No WIN, No PAYOLA"

WOW!!!

I can't BELIEVE an EX-PAT gringo had to explain to a DOMINICAN how their OWN country works.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, now that you have REPEATED that a ZILLION times....

First, this year I STAYED home, so my answer will be from the LAST election.

ONE of the ways it WORKS in SOME barrios is that MONEY is NOT given by the local POLITICAL party REPRESENTATIVE at the time of vote BUYING.

The people only RECEIVE their MONEY if the candidate WINS, the local POLITICAL party representative then PAYS them.

So, THERE is one explanation as to HOW they sort of guarantee the VOTE buying to insure that the people VOTE for the CORRECT candidate.

The INCENTIVE is "No WIN, No PAYOLA"

WOW!!!

I can't BELIEVE an EX-PAT gringo had to explain to a DOMINICAN how their OWN country works.

Maybe where you live. We are friends with an alcalde near us - there is a general running for something or another in our district. The alcalde was given 50,000 pesos 2 weeks ago, and told to go hand it out piecemeal to homes nearby. The residents were given the money if they promised to vote for the general. Up front. They were told the general didn't care who else they voted for, as long as they voted for him.

There's a lot of trust with these 'bribes', of course the people can take the money and then vote for whoever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.