How to spend election day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
(Maybe off topic) Some people told me it is an obligation for Dominicans to vote, if you don't, next time when you want to renew your cedula they gonna make trouble.
Is this true?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
(Maybe off topic) Some people told me it is an obligation for Dominicans to vote, if you don't, next time when you want to renew your cedula they gonna make trouble.
Is this true?

MY lady says she has never voted and doesn't understand why anyone would. She has never had any problems not voting I don't believe.
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Is this true?

No, voting is a right in DR, not an obligation like for example in Belgium.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Felix bautista el Senador Mas votado en las elecciones congresionales 2016 con 71%.
Does it surprise anyone here (other than one certain poster who will remain nameless) that this record breaking win happens to be apart of one the countries largest theft/corruption scandals. IF this is the type of person who is revered by Dominicans, what chance does this country have?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Felix bautista el Senador Mas votado en las elecciones congresionales 2016 con 71%.
Does it surprise anyone here (other than one certain poster who will remain nameless) that this record breaking win happens to be apart of one the countries largest theft/corruption scandals. IF this is the type of person who is revered by Dominicans, what chance does this country have?

Is that your cheap shot of the day, or one of many to come?

First, I have no idea what the win percentage of Bautista is since OFFICIAL results are yet to be announced. Last I checked, in his province more than 36% of the vote still needed to be counted. If you already have access to the official results, post a link.

Second, even as a foreigner you should have known or found out that the President happens to be from the SAME province as Bautista. All over the world presidents tend to do better near their own hometown than elsewhere, and that often helps the entire ticket. In the DR and many countries "ticket splitting" is the exception rather than the rule.

Finally, while some serious accusations of corruption has been levied against this person he has not yet been convicted. Maybe his supporters are of the same "school" as those of certain woman running for president in certain country (her supporters seem unconcerned about a history of scandals).

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Expat ..Bautista has always been a hero in his area of San Juan ..hard to unseat him
And it doesn't help that a sitting president happens to be from the same province as his, and is running quite well, per official results.
Maybe the poster has heard of the "coattail effect".

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Is that your cheap shot of the day, or one of many to come?

First, I have no idea what the win percentage of Bautista is since OFFICIAL results are yet to be announced. Last I checked, in his province more than 36% of the vote still needed to be counted. If you already have access to the official results, post a link.
Second, even as a foreigner you should have known or found out that the President happens to be from the SAME province as Bautista. All over the world presidents tend to do better near their own hometown than elsewhere, and that often helps the entire ticket. In the DR and many countries "ticket splitting" is the exception rather than the rule.

Finally, while some serious accusations of corruption has been levied against this person he has not yet been convicted. Maybe his supporters are of the same "school" as those of certain woman running for president in certain country (her supporters seem unconcerned about a history of scandals).
My comment was based on this which is where my title topic came from.
http://www.noticiero23.net/felix-ba...votado-en-las-elecciones-congresionales-2016/

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Technically voting is mandatory. However, the current laws do not specify any fine or sanction of any kind for not voting.

That makes sense! Kind of like the moto helmet laws and mannnnnnnyyyyyy other laws that are not enforced.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
My comment was based on this which is where my title topic came from.
http://www.noticiero23.net/felix-ba...votado-en-las-elecciones-congresionales-2016/

You should learn to read carefully, especially when you are venturing into matters of a country which isn't yours.

The article says "SE PERFILA" which means roughly that there is a tendency pointing in that direction. There are no official results as of now.

Anyway, the rest of my comments continue to apply to your cheap shot.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Expat ..Bautista has always been a hero in his area of San Juan ..hard to unseat him

he's giving stuff all year round. great investment again. he must be giggling himself to sleep every night. he knows his people all too well.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
That makes sense! Kind of like the moto helmet laws and mannnnnnnyyyyyy other laws that are not enforced.

Again, learn to read carefully. There is nothing to enforce in the case of not voting because THE LAW imposes no penalties for it.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
he's giving stuff all year round. great investment again. he must be giggling himself to sleep every night. he knows his people all too well.

What he gives away is peanuts compared to what 'first world' politicians give. The foreigners just call it 'welfare'. Maybe they also know their people too well, right? I guess 'their people' require a lot more money to be bought, right?

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
What he gives away is peanuts compared to what 'first world' politicians give. The foreigners just call it 'welfare'. Maybe they also know their people too well, right? I guess 'their people' require a lot more money to be bought, right?

Yes because that makes it o.k right?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Yes because that makes it o.k right?

Who says it was OK?
My answer was directed to the "Holier–than–thou" hypocrisy of the individual talking about "knowing HIS PEOPLE", very clearly implying that this is a problem with the Dominican people.

Yet another SICK attempt to defecate on the people some have CHOSEN to live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.