Best Places to Live in DR

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I like Bravo. We were there two hours ago with my Sil . Few wines though, I think they are evangelicos, no beer no rum nor whiskey for sale. Meat is good.

The wine selection beats any other supermarket hands down. That is another thread though. Just bought a bottle each of two from Mencia in north west Spain today which are on special in Bravo with high scores from Wine Spectator and they are great post non event storm tipples.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
We did too :) , we tried it there, decent Wine Don't you think Carrefour has a larger assortiment of wines?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It would be interesting to survey where the majority of DR1 members reside, have resided or visit. It won't tell us the best of DR but rather the most popular areas and also what many are missing.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We did too :) , we tried it there, decent Wine Don't you think Carrefour has a larger assortiment of wines?

I like the new, smaller carrefour market store in Downtown Center. But Almacenes Unidos, besides having slightly lower prices in many products and offering different kind of premium products you don't find everywhere, they have one very big plus: fast employees in Delicatessen and meat. I felt in Holland with the speed the prepared what I ordered. 

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I have lived 4years in Isabel Villas (cuesta hermosa) and moved to Naco downtown 1yr ago, enjoyed a lot my time in Isabel Villas, really quiet residential with the best security, tennis court, golf etc... it was like living in Casa de campo but in Santo Domingo.

I work at home and its easy for me to get out and dodge the worst traffic hours I would never have like living in Santo Domingo if I had to get out during the worst hour everyday.

I have been thinking for a while moving to cabarete or some other part but somehow can't ever pull the trigger of leaving santo domingo! I wish Cabarete was a bit more developed I would move there right away.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It would be interesting to survey where the majority of DR1 members reside, have resided or visit. It won't tell us the best of DR but rather the most popular areas and also what many are missing.

I have a thread on that jul10...

Where do you live ? type thing

Where are you ?
Residents Forum

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have lived 4years in Isabel Villas (cuesta hermosa) and moved to Naco downtown 1yr ago, enjoyed a lot my time in Isabel Villas, really quiet residential with the best security, tennis court, golf etc... it was like living in Casa de campo but in Santo Domingo.

I work at home and its easy for me to get out and dodge the worst traffic hours I would never have like living in Santo Domingo if I had to get out during the worst hour everyday.

I have been thinking for a while moving to cabarete or some other part but somehow can't ever pull the trigger of leaving santo domingo! I wish Cabarete was a bit more developed I would move there right away.

When I was still considering staying here I checked out Isabel Villas. Very nice place indeed, but since our children need to be brought to school during peak hours I discarded it due to the eternal problems around the roundabout near Supermercado Nacional.
Have you considered Punta Cana, which is well developed but without the chaos?  

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Yeah the problems at the roundabout are insane, i can only imagine how terrible it will be in the next 2-3 years with all the new constructions in arroyo hondo/cuesta hermosa

I have consider Punta Cana, but not my favorite place tbh, I would see myself living in Cabarete or Jarabacoa, but Jarabacoa I would be bored after 2 months. but I have to say I think punta cana is the safest and best place to live in DR, if you can afford it.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yeah the problems at the roundabout are insane, i can only imagine how terrible it will be in the next 2-3 years with all the new constructions in arroyo hondo/cuesta hermosa

I have consider Punta Cana, but not my favorite place tbh, I would see myself living in Cabarete or Jarabacoa, but Jarabacoa I would be bored after 2 months. but I have to say I think punta cana is the safest and best place to live in DR, if you can afford it.

Worth an explanation.

I would be hard pushed to describe Punta Cana as the best of DR.

A flat land beach based compromise perhaps. It ain't real DR for me. And so far away.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Worth an explanation.

I would be hard pushed to describe Punta Cana as the best of DR.

A flat land beach based compromise perhaps. It ain't real DR for me. And so far away.

What I meant by that is that Punta cana is the safest and most reliable place to stay, you can get pretty much anything you need that you would get in Santo Domingo, they have in my opinion the best airport in the country, lots of restaurants and stuff to do, 24/7 electricity (so expensive tho..) etc...

Still, don't think I would enjoy living there.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
What I meant by that is that Punta cana is the safest and most reliable place to stay, you can get pretty much anything you need that you would get in Santo Domingo, they have in my opinion the best airport in the country, lots of restaurants and stuff to do, 24/7 electricity (so expensive tho..) etc...

Still, don't think I would enjoy living there.

Understood and totally agree with your final line.

DR is a so diverse with some wonderful places to dream of setting up shop. But a western mentality drives so many to compromise.

I've done the campo, the resort, the city and am experiencing (with dismay) where the majority of readers go, and I know there is better having travelled around and still await best out of the box advice on the very best or perhaps idyllic place to choose.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Does anyone live in San Jose de Ocoa? Or perhaps west of Bani or into Azua province by the coast or even into the mountains. All so close to SD, yet sufficiently far and beautiful.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Moving to Punta Cana from the Capital is like getting out of jail.

So true .... life on the East end is so easy.no stress of driving and beautiful beaches. and actually not that expensive once you know your way around.. I like looking at clean streets not dirty streets like in the capital.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
So true .... life on the East end is so easy.no stress of driving and beautiful beaches. and actually not that expensive once you know your way around.. I like looking at clean streets not dirty streets like in the capital.

You are probably summing up what many expats who come to DR want. They want an escape from the reality of a faster western life in the tropics with lower costs and more often than not.....a beach.

But that isn't the whole Dominican Republic. It could be anywhere.

And so this sums up why many posters spend time criticizing their new home. It is a compromise rather than a definitive choice.

It has been enjoyable to read some posters positive views of where they have or are living and I hope there are more to come.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Really depends on what you are looking for.
I have a beach place between Cabarete and Sosua that I will be leaving in permanently starting next year.
I love it .Really beautiful beach ,started to learn kite ...
Find daily necessity in modern store such as Super Pola in Sosua.Not too far from Santiago to purchase big items in Bellon or PriceSmart .Good restaurants in Cabarete ,Sosua ,bit further puerto plata. 20 mn away from POP.

The dream :)