The DR and the Recession of 2008

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic launches US$500m tap of 2026 bond - source

NEW YORK, June 29 (IFR) - The Dominican Republic has launched a US$500m tap of its 6.875% 2026 bond at 5.60% after order books swelled to around US$3bn, a buyside source told IFR on Wednesday.

The final yield comes at the tight end of guidance of 5.60%-5.65% and inside initial price thoughts of 5.875% area.

The bonds closed at 109.20 or a 5.6% yield on Tuesday and were trading earlier on Wednesday at 110.25 or at a yield of 5.40%, the investor said.

The Caribbean nation is expected to price the deal later on Wednesday through leads Citigroup and JP Morgan. ratings are B1/BB-/B+. (Reporting By Paul Kilby; editing by Shankar Ramakrishnan)

Source:

http://www.reuters.com/article/dominican-rep-bonds-tap-idUSL1N19L1EK

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
BP awarded tender to sell U.S. crude to Dominican Republic: traders

BP Plc was awarded a tender to sell 300,000 barrels of U.S. crude to the Dominican Republic's refining firm Refidomsa, traders said on Wednesday.

Refidomsa, which owns the 34,000-barrel-per-day (bpd) Haina refinery along with PDVSA of Venezuela, last month launched its first tender to import a crude cargo from the United States, the North Sea, United Arab Emirates, Nigeria or Libya.

After postponing the deadline to receive bids several times, Refidomsa awarded the tender to BP with an offer of U.S. light sweet crude for delivery June 19-21 at Punta Palenque terminal.

It is unclear if BP will divert one of the U.S. crude cargoes anchored in the Caribbean that have been waiting for a payment from state-run PDVSA.

BP declined a request to comment as it does not provide information about specific sales or customers.

(Reporting by Marianna Parraga; Editing by Matthew Lewis)

Source:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-dominican-crude-tender-idUSKCN0YN5MV

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Puerto Rico's default will Bring business To the DR.

Cuts are to be the norm on services and other nonsensical parts of the economy there, more so under the fed appointed regulators.

They are worst than the IMF but in regards to financials.

Debt restructuring will break havoc with PR's high reliance on bonds to keep most of the dead weighted gov at work.

It will need a decade to get back in the black ink, meanwhile the DR will continue to expand its economy.

More goods from the DR will now supply the boricua market.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
DR1 News:

Where have all the dollars gone?

The Association of Herrera and Santo Domingo Province Industries (AEIH) has asked the authorities to investigate who is hoarding dollars and provoking a lack of the currency circulating in the Dominican Republic.

Antonio Taveras Guzman, president of AEIH, said that he has received complaints of the difficulty in obtaining dollars needed by the industries to buy inventory and comply with international agreements.

Taveras said the scarcity of US dollars cannot be justified, given that the Central Bank reported that US$22.34 billion in foreign currency had entered into the country in 2014 and just over US$23 billion in 2015.

He added that in the first quarter of this year the amount of dollars entering the country increased by US$301.7 million. Taveras mentioned that income from tourism had also increased in the first three months of this year going from US$1.66 billion to US$1.79 billion, a 7.6% increase. Remittances had also increased in the first trimester by 7.4% to US$1.29 billion.

Taveras insisted that other factors are distorting the dollar market and AEIH has demanded an explanation from the government.

http://almomento.net/piden-gobierno-investigue-quien-ha-provocado-escases-de-dolares-en-rd/222444

For those in doubt:

This is a direct challenge to the gov from the industrial sector about how the gov decides how the Pesos are exchanged.

The gov has been reducing the amount of dollars in circulation by limiting and delaying how much and when these sectors can obtain the funds to transmit overseas transactions.
This push from the gov has to do with a by product of capital markets seeking safe havens for their volatile stocks riling up in the aftermath of the Brexit vote.

The Japanese has gained over the Euro and therefore the artificial value of the Pesos Oro could not be left gaining on the FOREX. The gov took action to devalue the Pesos in order for it to keep the exports cheap and the market regulated in view of inflation.

Laugh at this (for those I told before about the three easy to follow currencies):
The US dollar lost value against the stronger Japanese Yen. At the same time the Pesos were in the same level as before on the FOREX VS the US Dollar. Once the Japanese Yen hit the market top level, the DR had no choice but to devalue the Pesos in order to maintain the manipulated exchange rate from vying into the real floating market value.

But funny as does, the US Dollar lost value Vs the Yen, and the DR Pesos then lose value Vs the Dollar!! LOL!!!

Since much of the local industry is geared towards the local market, a stronger RD$ is welcomed. As soon as the local market felt the extra purchase power, the gov cut it off.

This is a salvo shot via the media from the sector to the GOV.

The Gov is pandering to the tourism sector and leaving the industry sector hung to dry.

The industry sector has also made a move this month to cut imports, in order to create a shock to the gov's own dollar reserves. Lower imports turn into lower revenues of VATs and proper tax collections.

Let's see who blinks...

Jan 3, 2003
DR1 News:

Where have all the dollars gone?..

An inability of a country to access the reserve
currency of the world just points to how weak it
truly is. Brexit as a rumor allegedly caused dollars
to be scarce in the DR. The DR has problems that
do not stem from that event. The DR has systemic
problems which they ameliorate with the constant flow
of loans amongst other things. As I have stated
numerous times the DR has been in a precarious
economic environment for decades.

A good analogy is the current water supply. Compare
the current water levels and quality to what it was 50
years ago. Rivers were full streaming throughout the
nation. Fishes were abundant and the quality was
excellent. You had an ample supply of it everywhere.
How is it today? A cursory view will confirm the wide
spread erosion of rivers throughout the nation. They are
dry, barren and void of life. The water quality is abysmal.
Do you know of anyone who drinks Dominican tap water??

This points to an extremely salient issue. An increase in
the population is never an indicator of economic
prosperity if the underlying resource base meant to
sustain that population is eroded. The water supply and
its quality have declined proportionally to the increase in
population. The same can be said of economic
improvement. The underlying financial structure that has
created these gains has been eviscerated.

In like form the increase in GDP, in infrastructure in the
quality of life has come at the expense of the currency,
the soundness of the financial system locally and globally.
The DR alongside every nation on Earth has created another
massive bubble many times larger than what ignited the
financial panic of 2007 to 2009. It is merely a matter of time
before another crisis erupts.

Last edited:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Nice to hear a truer version of whats going on rather than the government/oligarch controlled media versions out there.
Its worse in the USA, as they approach 20 trillion in debt and is obvious an inevitable (planned) crisis which will cause extreme huge currency devaluations and anarchy. A cleansing that will take decades to recover from.
Why/how could they let this happen? Because of the Elites and the group of about dozen families who really rule the world and control the monetary systems. They understand there is an extensive drain on the worlds resources due to overpopulation (thats a good excuse whether true or not) a radical change or cleansing is required.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The DR alongside every nation on Earth has created another massive bubble many times larger than what ignited the
financial panic of 2007 to 2009. It is merely a matter of time before another crisis erupts.
:sigh:

I fear you are correct.

Yet the world "leaders" do the same old thing that created the problem...

"Now, I don't know,
I don't know where I'm a gonna go
when the volcano blow."

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

I fear you are correct.

"Now, I don't know,
when the volcano blow."

Your already in a better place than most. Water your garden and heighten your security walls around it.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

I fear you are correct.

"Now, I don't know,
when the volcano blow."

[video=youtube;IjGHwGkFIFw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGHwGkFIFw&list=PLWSNEDZQnRROadipXf0Vl9Y-9pPUiSsva&index=36[/video]

Jan 3, 2003
I'd like to see how the Pichardo Crew would respond to the quality and quantity of water in the DR.
This analogically correlates with the economic conditions of the DR. For 50 years we have seen the
population of the DR increase many fold yet the water supply and its quality have been decimated.
Are we to surmise from that evaporation that given the population increases it was justified? That's
what Pichardo is telling us every time he shows us all the development. It doesn't matter the under-
lying resource base so long as the end product is visible and proof of economic growth.

What do you guys think about that?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I'd like to see how the Pichardo Crew would respond to the quality and quantity of water in the DR.
This analogically correlates with the economic conditions of the DR. For 50 years we have seen the
population of the DR increase many fold yet the water supply and its quality have been decimated.
Are we to surmise from that evaporation that given the population increases it was justified? That's
what Pichardo is telling us every time he shows us all the development. It doesn't matter the under-
lying resource base so long as the end product is visible and proof of economic growth.

We all know Pich has an agenda so all info will be slanted towards it. When the majority of the country is poor and/or uneducated, they care only of themselves and how to fill their pockets with money. Depleting resources, pollution, environmental hazards. The people here who care about this is sadly fractional.

Oct 11, 2010

Another astute and prescient post by O/C of which I couldn't agree with more. Having recently reviewed part of an ongoing environmental study of the Presa de Hatillo and surrounding area the observations couldn't be more damning.

Your posts are ALWAYS appreciated.

After my back and forth with PICHARDO in this thread about 2000 posts ago and in another thread several years ago concerning his assertion of the Dominican Republic being on the Gold Standard and his continued insistence of this, his credibility disappeared faster than the dwindling water supply you so accurately analogize.

Keep the informative posts coming!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Another astute and prescient post by O/C of which I couldn't agree with more. Having recently reviewed part of an ongoing environmental study of the Presa de Hatillo and surrounding area the observations couldn't be more damning.

Your posts are ALWAYS appreciated.

After my back and forth with PICHARDO in this thread about 2000 posts ago and in another thread several years ago concerning his assertion of the Dominican Republic being on the Gold Standard and his continued insistence of this, his credibility disappeared faster than the dwindling water supply you so accurately analogize.

Keep the informative posts coming!

Usually people that talk out of sound facts post the back up to their words, like I did, posting the still in effect monetary Law of the DR( unless there's another country by the same name out there).

For the 2001 time: prove me wrong on the issue as fact and post the new monetary Law that did what you claim as posted by you.

I slap you with the gauntlet and repeat it French Style....

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

So, removing the fact of global warming effects and also its impact worldwide on water supplies and quality, this is a solely DR thingy?

Tsk, tsk,tsk...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

Yet the facts and continued economic indicators point elsewhere from your views...
So now it will be a new bubble that will do the DR this time around?

Keep the in mind the promises of Doomsday has been going for a while now here, just check the first OP date!

Hunger, poverty, lack of foreign currency, lack of basics, etc...
Many here still lost on the facts.

We have lived like that for the better part since the birth of the Republic.
Dominicans eat local products as a majority. Self sufficient in many aspects.

Lights out for a week? Been there, no economy kaput.
Water out for a week? Been there.
Etc... Been there!

The dynamics of the DR economy are what's driven it to where I stands today: Fastest growing in the region.

What was once a monolitic economy, has now become a diversified and quickly adjusting one.

The DR has done what other nations have failed to do:
Address illegal immigration from an economic standpoint first and as a national security second.

We inserted tens of thousands into our national database. Created a nobody left out system of validation.
Rolled out a fool-proof national ID that will be the kingpin of all the other unmanned systems.

Each time we augment that database by incorporating new systems linked together. Obtain more data and self identifying metrics from the entire population.

Remember the frog in the pot that can be boiled alive if gradually done?
These systems have been introduced one by one to the Dominican people. As a stand alone each system doesn't look like much.
Tied together?

We will remove the human element where fraud and manipulation is doable.

Crime? Like I told you, it will be addressed from A to Z.
No paper/coin currency? No 95% of common crimes.

When you see the size of the informal economy presented on a e-pesos system, you'll be amazed how big it was.

Tax evasion that were once lost revenues, will plug all deficits and leave more cash to spend.

The electrical problem will see an unorthodox solution:
The legislation to create incorporated sectors in all the major cities facing stiff electrical theft of service.
Each community will handle their supplier contracts and collect from the homeowners direct. Service will be pre-paid for x amounts of an average rated consumption from past billings. Same amounts each time with a quarterly adjustment for over usage at a pre negotiated rate.
(This will also include the street lights within each community)

All that is coming...

The poor communities will get pre-paid meters that unlike now, will consist of a tamper and damage proof box that will not have any readings or windows.

The data on the meter will be available to clients from their cell phones at any time
of the day or by following prompts via a phone call to an automated system.

No more broken meters by angry mobs.

Meanwhile the economy continues to get stronger...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yet the facts and continued economic indicators point elsewhere from your views...
So now it will be a new bubble that will do the DR this time around?

Keep the in mind the promises of Doomsday has been going for a while now here, just check the first OP date!

Hunger, poverty, lack of foreign currency, lack of basics, etc...
Many here still lost on the facts.

We have lived like that for the better part since the birth of the Republic.
Dominicans eat local products as a majority. Self sufficient in many aspects.

Lights out for a week? Been there, no economy kaput.
Water out for a week? Been there.
Etc... Been there!

The dynamics of the DR economy are what's driven it to where I stands today: Fastest growing in the region.

What was once a monolitic economy, has now become a diversified and quickly adjusting one.

The DR has done what other nations have failed to do:
Address illegal immigration from an economic standpoint first and as a national security second.

We inserted tens of thousands into our national database. Created a nobody left out system of validation.
Rolled out a fool-proof national ID that will be the kingpin of all the other unmanned systems.

Each time we augment that database by incorporating new systems linked together. Obtain more data and self identifying metrics from the entire population.

Remember the frog in the pot that can be boiled alive if gradually done?
These systems have been introduced one by one to the Dominican people. As a stand alone each system doesn't look like much.
Tied together?

We will remove the human element where fraud and manipulation is doable.

Crime? Like I told you, it will be addressed from A to Z.
No paper/coin currency? No 95% of common crimes.

When you see the size of the informal economy presented on a e-pesos system, you'll be amazed how big it was.

Tax evasion that were once lost revenues, will plug all deficits and leave more cash to spend.

The electrical problem will see an unorthodox solution:
The legislation to create incorporated sectors in all the major cities facing stiff electrical theft of service.
Each community will handle their supplier contracts and collect from the homeowners direct. Service will be pre-paid for x amounts of an average rated consumption from past billings. Same amounts each time with a quarterly adjustment for over usage at a pre negotiated rate.
(This will also include the street lights within each community)

All that is coming...

The poor communities will get pre-paid meters that unlike now, will consist of a tamper and damage proof box that will not have any readings or windows.

The data on the meter will be available to clients from their cell phones at any time
of the day or by following prompts via a phone call to an automated system.

No more broken meters by angry mobs.

Meanwhile the economy continues to get stronger...

I recall earlier in this thread that the DR economy is not dependent on tourism dollars. One may argue without it the country could be in a serious recession.
Even Danilo recognizes the importance of tourism. http://bit.ly/DRtourism unfortunately they still haven't figured out how to provide good service, so the longevity of tourism has some threats.

Jan 3, 2003
So, removing the fact of global warming effects and also its impact worldwide on water
supplies and quality, this is a solely DR thingy?

Tsk, tsk,tsk...

Respond to the water crisis currently occurring in the DR. Do not evade, circumvent, obfuscate and
steer the conversation elsewhere. The quality and quantity of water in the DR has nothing to do
with global warming. Address the question properly. The answer lies within the DR. The govern-
ment by enacting atrocious economic policies have put development ahead of sustainability. The
resource base has been eviscerated to create the paradise you parade daily here on DR1. The
problem is overpopulation, the debasement of the currency and putting ECONOMY ahead of
ECOLOGY!!!

The water quality is abysmal. The quantity of water has reached levels never recorded. The rivers
are dry throughout the nation. Are you going to bamboozle us with a new govt initiative to change
ocean water into potable water. What follows is one example of how by putting economy ahead of
ecology and using the resource base without an eye towards replenishing the same leads to
catastrophe.

The process to extract gold is one of many causes which has brought the quality and quantity of
water to its current tragic state. The toxic and environmentally destructive methods used to mine
gold has destroyed the quality of water and the quantity of life within those bodies. These are local
events affecting the immediate vicinity of the mine but multiply these methods to put economy
ahead of ecology times the area of the DR and the product is the current dismal state of water.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Respond to the water crisis currently occurring in the DR. Do not evade, circumvent, obfuscate and
steer the conversation elsewhere. The quality and quantity of water in the DR has nothing to do
with global warming. Address the question properly. The answer lies within the DR. The govern-
ment by enacting atrocious economic policies have put development ahead of sustainability. The
resource base has been eviscerated to create the paradise you parade daily here on DR1. The
problem is overpopulation, the debasement of the currency and putting ECONOMY ahead of
ECOLOGY!!!

The water quality is abysmal. The quantity of water has reached levels never recorded. The rivers
are dry throughout the nation. Are you going to bamboozle us with a new govt initiative to change
ocean water into potable water. What follows is one example of how by putting economy ahead of
ecology and using the resource base without an eye towards replenishing the same leads to
catastrophe.

The process to extract gold is one of many causes which has brought the quality and quantity of
water to its current tragic state. The toxic and environmentally destructive methods used to mine
gold has destroyed the quality of water and the quantity of life within those bodies. These are local
events affecting the immediate vicinity of the mine but multiply these methods to put economy
ahead of ecology times the area of the DR and the product is the current dismal state of water.
Could be very true, but the primary factor affecting water supply is the DR has too many people for the water resources to provide adequately.

Once again the basic problem in many parts of the world that transcends all the anecdotes and politics: there are just too many rats in the cage.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Could be very true, but the primary factor affecting water supply is the DR has too many people for the water resources to provide adequately.

Once again the basic problem in many parts of the world that transcends all the anecdotes and politics: there are just too many rats in the cage.

Hence why we have world wide wars to cut the over populations...
It's cyclical....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Hence why we have world wide wars to cut the over populations...
It's cyclical....
Except World Wars don't come to Hispaniola. And our water resources are meager compared to current population, not to mention seemingly geometric growth.

Gross GDP goes up because of population growth more that per unit productivity. But marginal water reserves decrease pretty much at the same rate.