*** Cars, Jeeps, New & Used Pricing ***

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It seems to vary.... the Aduana has their own list of values disregarding any actual cost of the vehicle. They will set and apply the import value.

In my case, I got a 50% tariff reduction.... I saw others that day with 30 and 40% reductions...... 50% seemed to be the maximum

Like all things Dominican.... there is a bit roulette involved

WW

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
It seems to vary.... the Aduana has their own list of values disregarding any actual cost of the vehicle. They will set and apply the import value.

In my case, I got a 50% tariff reduction.... I saw others that day with 30 and 40% reductions...... 50% seemed to be the maximum

WW

that's right,
Aduanas have their own list of values for all incoming products,
the actual paid rate for the imported product does not matter to aduanas.
Mike

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla that next month will for one year on my name.
My questions is: As an American resident of the US can I ship this car to DR under the exception rule of personal vehicle been this more than 5 years old and not taxes entry payment???

JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla that next month will for one year on my name.
My questions is: As an American resident of the US can I ship this car to DR under the exception rule of personal vehicle been this more than 5 years old and not taxes entry payment???

JJ

JJ, the car has to be less than 5 years old. And you only get the exemption once. [Your wife is also entitled to one exemption].

Even with the exemption you'd have to pay some taxes - I'm sure someone will post the correct amount, but I think it's 16% instead of 26%

AE

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I know some peoples that have cars shipped to DR recently, example; My ex neighbor in Santiago shipped his 1995 Honda CRV as I was well informed about the 5 years rule I asked to him how he could have this vehicle out of Dominicans customs.... he said Lo traje haciendole el a?o personal car owned at least one year here in the US qualify for this exemption no matter the year.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
let me know if it works
I won't deal with that any more, just transferred the title to my step daughter today so she can keep it to go to college. I'll buy a newer model in the future.

All theses rules are freaking me.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
let me know if it works
Just talked to my uncle who lives in Florida and he said; Yes as well as you can prove it is your personal car, bee this entitle on your name at least one year it qualify for this exemption.
He is well informed as already contacted a shipping company in order to have his 2003 Kia SUV shipped to DR.

JJ

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What this thread needs is someone that successfully shipped a car here to find our what really occurs when it gets here. Anyone living here any length of time has to believe nothing of what he hears, and half of what he sees, in regard to Government "rules".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

WW

SKY above is my experience from Jan 2009.

2005 Jeep Wrangler imported under the one time new resident exemption.
It is NOT free.... you pay something.
The Aduana has a schedule which they use to calculate the fee... mine was 40,000 pesos and represented a 50% reduction from what the "normal" tariff would be.

Same rules... must have owned the car for 1 year prior and must be less than 5 years old.
I paid $18,000 for the car.. used. I forget the amount that the Aduana "deemed" its value.... but it wasn't far off because i remember being "not upset" at the calculation.

Opinion at the time on this forum was that it was a reasonable transaction

Hope this helps.

I think they really target the fancier cars.

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You may be right JDJ.... the complaints I have heard were from friends who hunted for and found a "real Bargain"....
then when they tried to use that low price at Customs got P*ssed off when it wasn't accepted.

Yes, thank you..... my customs broker - Hispaniola Freight - also thought I made out pretty well..... maybe I did --- how do you know?

Yes, again.... I paid $18,000 for that Jeep in NJ and then gad it "islandised" before shipping -- locked rear axle, HD stuff, roof rack and light bar (a few thousand more)

WW

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
They are supposed to tax the value not the price of stuff, I beleive.

Bloody annoying is you found a good deal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They are supposed to tax the value not the price of stuff, I beleive.

Bloody annoying is you found a good deal.

Initially, they wouldn't allow a translator to go into the meeting with me... I had been in the country about 7 days waiting for the container to arrive.

Finally, they recanted and let my customs broker come in.... she had never been refused before.

Its a crapshoot... how they decide on the fee/tax discount.

Anyway... its not free... most incoming residents think it will be zero for a car--- wrong! I was one of them.... naive !

The placa is another long story..... 4th floor for a car inspection office.... only in Sto Domingo :alien:

WW

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Does it save you any money to have a diesel in the DR or do the higher prices offset the mileage savings? The diesel VW Tiguan is available in the DR and I am looking at that.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does it save you any money to have a diesel in the DR or do the higher prices offset the mileage savings? The diesel VW Tiguan is available in the DR and I am looking at that.

Volkswagen Tiguan 2009 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #146474

Inicio? - MIC

Gas prices are the bottom link on the right side. Diesel is less than gas here. The top is a link to the car you want. Tiguan is an excellent auto, but overpriced here. Also it comes pretty much stripped. Sunroof on that car is awesome, but hard to find one here.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I can't find any contact email for Grupo Magna (Hyundai) on their website. I am looking at the Santa Fe also.