*** Cars, Jeeps, New & Used Pricing ***

BGF

Oct 10, 2010
So is kbb.com's used car pricing useful at all in the DR? Decidedly not scientific, but I priced three 2002 Jeep Liberties, one Limited and another one Sport, from this site Jeep Dominican page 1. The one Limited is priced right. The one Liberty Sport with 110,000 miles is way over priced, and the black Sport with 90,000 miles is over priced by $1,700. I guess they expect you to bargain.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
VW Tiguan is our new favorite car!

Volkswagen Tiguan 2009 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #146474

Inicio* - MIC

Gas prices are the bottom link on the right side. Diesel is less than gas here. The top is a link to the car you want. Tiguan is an excellent auto, but overpriced here. Also it comes pretty much stripped. Sunroof on that car is awesome, but hard to find one here.

We bought a barely used 2009 from a person leaving DR (only 11K miles and still under VW warrenty) and LOVE this car. Didn't think we would. One of the best things about it is the turbo diesel engine....lots of power when you need it even over the mountains. And while the diesel is cheaper, the mileage is fantastic so far....around 35mpg or so...haven't tracked since the first tank but we barely visit the gas station. We would buy it again in a heartbeat.

You might want to check with the dealer in Santiago too. We had the car there for service and noticed Tiguans and new Touaregs (still 2009) for sale and at similar prices to the $35K in the link above. FYI, we paid $29K plus lawyer/transfer fees of $1K. We have leather seats and options enough. Didn't want the complexity of sunroof and so on...pain in the neck if it ever breaks....Good Luck!

BGF

Oct 10, 2010
All in all, the car prices don't seem exorbitantly more expensive than in the US. Let me know if this is not true. I plan on buying an old Jeep or some other 4WD vehicle because I don't see driving the kind of miles I do in the States.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I realized that I can rent where I live in the USA and in Santiago for the money that I have available. So since I will be buying a new car in the USA I am now looking at used cars about US $10,000 in the DR. I am looking for Hondas, Toyotas, Nissan, brands that have high reliability over time.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
trainman, you might want to look for a crossover of some sort. the roads in the DR can be treacherous sometimes. if you buy like a corolla or celica or some sort of average car you might end up having to replace many suspension pieces, and those pieces aren't cheap. you might have to sacrifice a little gas mileage, but in time the costs will be in your favor if you get an suv or crossover.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
Also very expensive to maintain and repair, as the dealer is likely the only place you can get it fixed (and have some peace of mind).

Consider selling your vehicle back home and getting a Toyota or Honda vehicle out here. Repairs are much cheaper (Japanese vehicle parts are everywhere), and you'll save a lot of money on gas (the Discovery gets horrible mileage, and gas isn't much cheaper than the UK at $5 USD a gallon.

We brought our Land Rover Discovery in our container. I would advise from experience not to bring it over. In retrospect we wouldn't do it again.The back suspension fails here and you will have to replace it with springs. Very few people can fix them and also the dealership in Santo Domingo from our experience doesn't know what they are doing. The advice to buy a Prado or Lexus or one of the other Oriental luxury Trucks is good advice.......If you still have to have a Land Rover, buy one here.

Berlino

Jan 24, 2011
Hi folks. Just read through all 11 or so pages of this thread. Alot of interesting and useful info...but I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for my case. My wife and I are considering a move to the DR. We live in Germany and would be selling our vehicle here and, hopefully, using that cash to purchase a decent vehicle there. We should be able to get a good 12-13K (Euros) for our car.

So the question is, considering the road conditions there, what do you recommend as the best vehicle to get in an SUV/Crossover style? We have a small son, so we would like something with a bit more room but that is also reasonably safe.

Thanks!

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
To be honest, the price your talking about spending may be too low. Also, it depends upon where you are going to live. Up on the north coast, there are few dealers and the majority of the mechanics here are not good...basically bad (my experience). When shopping for a vehicle, you have to open up the hood and see what type of work has been done on the car. Wiring with electrical tape is a classic Dominican repair and I would stay away from that vehicle. If the vehicle looks like it has not been repaired then that can stay on the list. Basically, when cars get repaired here, often they come back with new problems. Next, the make of the car has to have a dealer within a 20 minute drive of where you will live, if possible. For me, I like a classic crew cab pickup or an SUV. You want a bigger vehicle for protection in case of an accident and you want something with bigger tires and tougher made for the large pot holes and bad road conditions you will encounter. My opinion...hope something in it helps.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

marcusbmco

Banned
Nov 11, 2006
Grandviewvilla.com
No one talks about TRUCKS!

I have checked other shippers out of FL. and just spoke to Tropical in Palm Beach. Cars (in their system) must be 5 years old or less. Ask about trucks; 15 years no prob.
They only ship containers out of that port. Again, trucks different story...no prob.
Tropical ships to Caucedo (Boca Chica).
Anybody know good agent/broker in Caucedo, or Le Capital?

Marrs

Mar 24, 2011
Used Cars Puerto Plata

Hello-Does anyone know of a good used car lot in Puerto Plata? I'm looking for just a cheap car or small truck.

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
Hello, I'm new to Dominican Republic, and have some questions about used cars and prices here.

I was looking at car propositions like:
vendo mi carro - Santo Domingo
Llevatelo Con 100000 Mil Pesotoyota Corona A?o 2000 - Santo Domingo Oeste
Toyota Land Cruiser 1986 en exelentes condiciones - lucerna - Santo Domingo Este
De oportunidad se vende un vihiculo honda acura 90 en perfectas condiciones

Are these propositions seems real? Would these cars serve me few years without major repairs? Wouldn't I overpay for this? Wouldn't I get too old car for this price? How hard is it to repair used cars here if something breaks?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I have just read through all these posts, and it seems some people are doing 'the impossible' which leaves a HUGE question....

Someone, anyone, provide the final answer, right here right now.....

Can I really import a vehicle that is older than five years? Anyway or anyhow? If so...then WHO ;)

I know the standard rules, I want to hear back from anyone that has recently done it!

Thanks
PP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have checked other shippers out of FL. and just spoke to Tropical in Palm Beach. Cars (in their system) must be 5 years old or less. Ask about trucks; 15 years no prob.
They only ship containers out of that port. Again, trucks different story...no prob.
Tropical ships to Caucedo (Boca Chica).
Anybody know good agent/broker in Caucedo, or Le Capital?

Talk to Hispaniola Freight.... they have a website

:: Hispaniola Freight Services ::

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
Hi all,
I have read through the posts and I can?t quite find what I am looking for...I want to buy one of those small cars like the toyota passo, kia picanto, honda fit or chevy spark. My first preferences of course would be the toyota or honda...can anyone recommend a reputable dealer? I am in the Bavaro, Punta Cana area...thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi all,
I have read through the posts and I can?t quite find what I am looking for...I want to buy one of those small cars like the toyota passo, kia picanto, honda fit or chevy spark. My first preferences of course would be the toyota or honda...can anyone recommend a reputable dealer? I am in the Bavaro, Punta Cana area...thanks.

Here is a link to the importer/dealer of Toyota's in the DR:

Delta Comercial

The Toyota Yaris is available, but I don't know about the Passo ( I have never seen one).
A KIA Picanto is owned by a family member. I have seen used Honda Fit and Chevy Spark autos for sale used.
The only one I didn't care much for was the Chevy Spark.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I think I am going to buy a Ssangyong Rexton used.

I know there is a dealer for them near the Hodelpa on Ave. Estrella Sadhala but I can't find their contact information anywhere.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I know there is a dealer for them near the Hodelpa on Ave. Estrella Sadhala but I can't find their contact information anywhere.

Avelino Abreu is the dealer. Address is Avenida Estrella Sadhala No. 30, Santiago Tel : 809-971-2096 Fax: 809-971-2612. Just dropped a friend off there to pick up his Volkswagen from the shop and noted the number for you. They are having some kind of sale on the Ssang Yong Korando (no, I am not kidding, that is the name), year 2012, Turbo Diesel, for USD $29,500.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Those cars arn't reliable enough for me, I think through the same dealer I can find a used Subaru though.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Good luck my friend! I never heard of those car before.

Maybe another Chinese clone.

JJ