Attitude toward missionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I will agree with you about the Cubans in Florida in General. They are not discriminated against because they run the show in Florida. But I grew up in California and Texas. My high school was across the street from the KKK headquarters.
In Florida you don?t see the INS going around like a dog catcher rounding up anybody that looks like a Mexican.

He has a point here - there is safety in numbers. No one in the NY/NJ area would discriminate against Italians, there are too many of them/us. But when my daughter was in Oklahoma visiting her Dominican cousin for a week, a cashier in the DSW [Designer Shoe Warehouse] wanted to know "what is that?" when she looked at Mary's credit card (husband is Italian American). When she said "Italian" the cashier frowned disapprovingly and said "We don't have any of THOSE around here". She'd certainly frown at a Spanish surname the same way. (My niece is married to an American with a Waspy surname, she was very surprised at the exchange).

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
"More seriously Pedro, I'm an atheist, my wife is a catholic christian. By mutual agreement we don't talk to our two smallest children (6, 2 yrs.) about religion so I got really mad when one day my son came back from school saying there're certain things you should not do because "papa Dios"

Last time I heard that it was followed by "Papa' Trujillo"

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
I will agree with you about the Cubans in Florida in General. They are not discriminated against because they run the show in Florida.

They are not discriminated against in Tampa because as Cobraboy said they were there many decades before the boat lift.
It's a different picture for those who came in the 60's and later unless they already had family in Tampa.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I live by example.

Maybe also a good idea to post by example? How posters post can be very revealing. Telling people whom you know little about to 'grow up, get a job' and such just because you & they disagree, indicates a level of combativeness which most new expats find doesn't go down too well in the DR with the locals.

And as for your requests for donations, yes of course people are watching how you respond here (good post 200 Vacara). I was very positively & empathically disposed towards you when you first posted the theft problem, I'm sure lots of people were. But for me it decreases with every pugilistic post. Sorry if you find this unsupportive, but I'm known for telling it as I see it.

El-Profe

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2009
www.myspace.com
Listen Lambada,

Take a look at everybody talking about my school when they have never been to one of my classes.

So me what you are doing to help the Dominican Children.

You seen to have your little gang of DR1 Posters that spend their day writting trash about anything anyone has to say. You guys are like vultures waiting on someone to post something so you can atack them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Oh My God, Let me clear the air here.

First; I sorry if I have bothered anyone by sending you a PM. It will not happen again.

Second; Yes I am a Christian, I believe there is a God, whether be is black, white, yellow, pink or purple, He is God. I don?t believe in religious labels that people us such as (Catholic, Jewish, Baptist, etc..). That is the whole problem with religion. We should all respect one-another?s beliefs. AND NOT GO AROUND TRYING TO BE HOLYER THAN THOU. We are all brothers and sisters in God?s Name. I DO NOT go around trying to preach to people but I do try to live by example.

As for my Academy, We are the victims here. That includes my students. Why is it that when something bad happens to someone people seam to turn on the victim.

I have nothing to hide. On the letter that I sent members I used my address, phone number and my real name. I am here to help educate children and young adults. If you would take the time to go to Academia Latina Americana (Academia Latina Americana) | MySpace.com and carefully read my page, then take the time to view the photos and video you will see for yourself what I am doing. Pay close attention at the group of students that were taking computer classes. Those computers are gone.

I have received many words of encouragement from DR1 members. I have thanked each and every one of them. Also as I have stated in the letter, You are more than welcome to visit our Academy and see a class in session. We are easy to find in Jarabacoa, just look for the only American Flag flying in the City.

El Profe

Calle 16 De Agusto Casa 3 Segundo Nivel Jarabacoa. This is a very busy area of Jarabacoa. We have friends that live close to your school. I find it hard to believe that nobody witnessed the robbery.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Listen Lambada,

Take a look at everybody talking about my school when they have never been to one of my classes.

So me what you are doing to help the Dominican Children.

You seen to have your little gang of DR1 Posters that spend their day writting trash about anything anyone has to say. You guys are like vultures waiting on someone to post something so you can atack them.

Lambada is one of the most reasonable people on the board - I however am not! Have a go at me if you like, but you look a little silly going after Lambada.

You brought your school into the discussion so I feel OK talking about it.
By the way, is it a business or a charity?

If we were vultures we would say something like,"Wow, Prof, you are teaching kids American English and you can't spell 'writting' or 'atack'!!??"

But we are not vultures so we don't write things like that :bunny:

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainannie

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lambada is one of the most reasonable people on the board - I however am not! Have a go at me if you like, but you look a little silly going after Lambada.

You brought your school into the discussion so I feel OK talking about it.
By the way, is it a business or a charity?

If we were vultures we would say something like,"Wow, Prof, you are teaching kids American English and you can't spell 'writting' or 'atack'!!??"

But we are not vultures so we don't write things like that :bunny:

And we wouldn't want to through you off your game.

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Reminds me of a camping trip I took to the beach on the western coast of Costa Rica.The undertow was horrific so really we could not go swimming. And what little water there was from the shower came out lime green so it was not conducive to long showers. One morning, I unzipped my tent, and there, lined up along the tatami mat that I had spread out to prevent some of the sand from getting into the tent, were six vultures, lined up neatly, three to a side.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
He has a point here - there is safety in numbers. No one in the NY/NJ area would discriminate against Italians, there are too many of them/us. But when my daughter was in Oklahoma visiting her Dominican cousin for a week, a cashier in the DSW [Designer Shoe Warehouse] wanted to know "what is that?" when she looked at Mary's credit card (husband is Italian American). When she said "Italian" the cashier frowned disapprovingly and said "We don't have any of THOSE around here". She'd certainly frown at a Spanish surname the same way. (My niece is married to an American with a Waspy surname, she was very surprised at the exchange).

Very true that within one country, depending on the city/area, and how many people 'like you' live in the area, one can experience varying degrees of discrimantion.
My friend who recently moved from very multicultural Toronto to a smaller less diverse city in Canada, is in shock by the amount of racism she is now experiencing.
Thats why I didnt think El Profs accounts of discrimination were lies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
La?

Very true that within one country, depending on the city/area, and how many people 'like you' live in the area, one can experience varying degrees of discrimantion.
My friend who recently moved from very multicultural Toronto to a smaller less diverse city in Canada, is in shock by the amount of racism she is now experiencing.

Didn't he say he went to grade school in LA? population over 9 million, largest hispanic population in the US. Now over 45% Hispanic. Then he moved to Texas.
Not Kansas. That might have been credible.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Reminds me of the time a black Canadian woman didn't like the price my mom was charging her in a store and screamed that she was being charged more because she was black, then proceeded to call my mother a dirty Jew. Finally the store owner, a Black Canadian, came out of the back office, informed her that he set the prices in his store and would she kindly leave. Racism is everywhere, sometimes more blatant that others, but I've found out that in small towns it is usually reaction in any outsiders- has little to do with colour. However I'm not living your friends life.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Didn't he say he went to grade school in LA? population over 9 million, largest hispanic population in the US. Now over 45% Hispanic. Then he moved to Texas.
Not Kansas. That might have been credible.

Didnt he say he started school at age 6 in LA and then moved to Texas. He is not talking about LA in 2009 but probably 40 or more years ago. Totally different time and experience compared to now! He also mentioned his school in Texas was beside a KKK headquarter.
If that was the case, his accounts of experiencing discrimination sound pretty credible to me.

When my boyfriend was going to school in North Carolina a little more than 10 years ago, he told me he went to his roommates house for Thanksgiving and he saw a burnt cross mark on his front lawn. Asked what that was and his friend just shrugged it off matter of factly that the KKK burned a cross on his lawn. They were one of the only black families in the neighbourhood.
Coming from Toronto he was shocked by the level of overt racism he experienced and saw in parts of the US in the 1990s.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You guys are just making excuses for El Profe's racist remarks. One would think a Christian would have purged that emotion from the soul.

However, whenever you go looking for it, you'll usually find it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Didnt he say he started school at age 6 in LA and then moved to Texas. He is not talking about LA in 2009 but probably 40 or more years ago. Totally different time and experience compared to now! He also mentioned his school in Texas was beside a KKK headquarter.
If that was the case, his accounts of experiencing discrimination sound pretty credible to me.

When my boyfriend was going to school in North Carolina a little more than 10 years ago, he told me he went to his roommates house for Thanksgiving and he saw a burnt cross mark on his front lawn. Asked what that was and his friend just shrugged it off matter of factly that the KKK burned a cross on his lawn. They were one of the only black families in the neighbourhood.
Coming from Toronto he was shocked by the level of overt racism he experienced and saw in parts of the US in the 1990s.
Both Texas and LA had huge Spanish populations 40 years ago.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Racism is everywhere, sometimes more blatant that others, but I've found out that in small towns it is usually reaction in any outsiders- has little to do with colour. However I'm not living your friends life.

Well you are a white male and my friend is a young African woman so I am sure a different life experience at times.
When I first went to BC I was jokingly asking a local friend, who is white where are all the black people. He said there are not too many there but there is a high Asian population. We talked about racism and he said surprisingly even though there are alot of Asians there is still alot of racism directed at that group.
I went on a youth tour of Nova Scotia a few years ago. The tour guide was a white guy and told us a story that he went to a local restaurant in a small town there and the waitress took orders from everyone in the group 'expcept' the 2 Japanese girls. When he reminded the waitress she forgot to take their order, she said she would not serve 'their kind'.
Furious he asked to speak to the owner and the owner said he cant really force her to do what she doesnt want to. They all obviously left the restaurant and went somewhere else.
Later the owner saw that he was bringing tours twice a week to the area, realized the amount of money he was loosing and asked him bring his group to his restaurant. Of course he said no because he supported his racist waitress. He said oh but I fired her she was stealing money. The tour guide said you should have fired her the day I complained to you, too late now.
Yup racism is everywhere.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
You guys are just making excuses for El Profe's racist remarks. One would think a Christian would have purged that emotion from the soul.

However, whenever you go looking for it, you'll usually find it.

What racist remark did he make?
I didnt see anything racist in his posts.

But I guess you are right when you say 'whenever you go looking for it, you'll usually find it.'

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Reminds me of a camping trip I took to the beach on the western coast of Costa Rica.The undertow was horrific so really we could not go swimming. And what little water there was from the shower came out lime green so it was not conducive to long showers. One morning, I unzipped my tent, and there, lined up along the tatami mat that I had spread out to prevent some of the sand from getting into the tent, were six vultures, lined up neatly, three to a side.

Just to run with the vulture analogy/theme for a moment....

I thought vultures generally eat stuff that they might happen across that has already expired.
They are not really known for attacking healthy, living stuff.

:bunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.