Attitude toward missionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
According to his homepage, which he has linked to his DR1 page, he was born in Cuba and then moved to LA, then to Texas.

(If he grew up in heavily Hispanic neighborhoods in the States he probably did not have very good English teachers which would account for his spelling errors).

While he says he is on a mission from his Church in the US, he lists his pastor as Joel Osteen who runs one of the great mega churchs and is extremely popular but considered sorta "feel good" rather than "gospel" El Profe says that he is not receiving any support now from his "Church".

He says he has a degree in Computer Sciences and further training in real estate.

He says that he teaches the kids 5 hours a week for 30 pesos a class for 600 pesos a month and has some sponsorship for some of the kids. This covers only the expenses of the operation which amount to about 14,000 pesos a month. He says his income is less than 350,000 a year.

Since the regulations for starting a complete school in the DR are very strict and require complex licensing, I assume that he is simply giving classes.

But 600 pesos a month is what kids in Las Terrenas were paying for a month of full time private school two years ago. At the third best private school in the Village.

So I would say that he is trying to run a business, with some televangelism thrown in for good measure.

To his credit, I got all this from his own home page so that I really do not think that there is any sort of a sophisticated scam going on here, just a guy trying to make it.

Joel Osteen, also known as big teeth, can't wait for the day this one fall flat on his face.

wwjd-as-in-joel.gif

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Joel Osteen, also known as big teeth, can't wait for the day this one fall flat on his face.

He just proved my point.....See how he is wishing harm on a man he does not know, soley based on his religious beliefs.
Ignore posters like him! They have an agenda!

El-Profe

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2009
www.myspace.com
Thank you Mountainannie,

"To his credit, I got all this from his own home page so that I really do not think that there is any sort of a sophisticated scam going on here, just a guy trying to make it."

Yes, I am trying to make a difference in young children?s lives. So what is so wrong with that?

What have you all done to try to better someone?s life in the Dominican Republic. The school system here is very lacking. I am only trying to do something good for the people.

It?s very unfortunate that some people have to steal from another to keep up their bad habits, be it drugs, alcohol or just for the thrill.

It seems that you are the only one who has taken the time to read MySpace.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Well I think it is too late for me.
I couldn't go to heaven in all good conscience. It just wouldn't be right.
:bunny:

I am a very, very happy sinner, thank you.

And I fear my fate is already sealed in your eyes.(Subject to the get-out clause of giving my life to Jesus?)
Should it turn out that this god of yours exists, I shall have a few choice words for him when we get round to judgement day.
Seems a bit of an underachiever recently - as gods go.

heaven can wait,
let's first finish to enjoy the evil party named 'life'.

thanks for the info Annie,
i did still not look him up,
and i guess i will not do later on neither.

hey,
to make nearly 1.000.- pesos a day would be considered a great job for many expats on the Isle if compared to 'expectations' showing up on threads like "moving to the DR on a low budget".

sounds like a bad planned small business without the recommended backup fond to me.

like the lil private school up here in Veron where i had my boy for 1 year preschool.
big promises, they had the construction of the new school building in the final stage when the school year started,
christian school, so wifey seemed very happy,
the owner couple seemed nice, both teaching there, he even been the driver for my boy.
they been more expensive than other private schools in the area, but their plans sounded good to me, promising the new school building will be up and running before december, til then the smallest got lessons under their zinn roof.
wow, what a big rip off that finally been.
bancrupt today,
sure that new building never been finished,
complaining about the bad economic situation of the planet.
heck, that school building firstly been promised to be finished early summer 2008, so what have today's economics to do with their earlier financial misscalculation and lying to their customers.
at least we so that coming on time and could watch out for a new place,
i scribed mine in at Calasanz for the soon starting year.

Kids are waiting to get their classes.
they have most likely no big possibilities to move somewhere else.
WHAT are the plans Profecito???
Praying that the Lord will send Bill Gates over here?

Mike

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
He just proved my point.....See how he is wishing harm on a man he does not know, soley based on his religious beliefs.
Ignore posters like him! They have an agenda!

I don't care about his religious belief, what bothers me is the millions he have amassed selling books that tell people how God wants them to be rich.

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ok

I was not wishing anybody any harm. That is the way you took it. I don't wish harm on anyone.

I believe that. I don't think that you meant anyone harm. I think that you were just really hurt and angry. I think that you had really high hopes and that you probably worked very hard to get all those computers and stuff in place and you thought that you were doing something really good for the community.

And you thought that you were here on a Miniistry. And that God would protect you. And the community would see that you were doing good things and that they would be grateful to you. And they would be really happy and you would be really happy and everything would be roses. Just like Pastor Osteen said it would be.

Then WHAMMO....... somebody broke in and stole your dream and you felt like someone had kicked you in the belly.

Then you sent out this message to everyone asking for money just thinking that we were an English speaking community and why not? Not meaning any harm, really, just marketing, since you were trained in real estate.

Then I bashed you on the Board. Then you got defense and then Thandie rushed to your defense then it escalated and you went all Old Testament.

look.

We have BEEN THERE.

It is the death of the first dream When the rose colored glasses come off and you start to smell the garbage.

When you find out the guy you have been dating has a wife and three kids down the road,

your girl friend has six other guys,

your maid is stealing from you,

your best friend is a con artist and he is from your own country,

the house you bought has a false title,

your apartment has rats.

Do you have any friends where you are?

Do you have a safe place to live?

Do you have any idea who took the stuff? Because, believe me, people sure know who took the stuff.

Are you going to be ok?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Of course, I've been around racists. REAL racists, not the ones accused of racism to forward some agenda. And my best way to deal with them is...isolation.

Of course I DO understand some folks need a cause to hang onto. It's like a Life's Work. I just wonder how large a chip one shoulder can bear...

What agenda were you forwarding when you said he made a racist comment?

And regarding chip on shoulders...that is my point.
I think this post illustrates that many posters have a big chip on their shoulders in regards to evangelical Christians.
I am not necessarily defending the OP and El Prof, I just think that MOST of these attacks are unfair and are primarily about their religious beliefs. I am against ANY type of discrimination..whether it is based on skin colour, sex, sexual preference or religious affiliation, etc. I am not one to remain silent in the presence of it. I will call it out when I see it!

(i.e. attacking his written English? Are people kidding. I am a native English speaker, university educated, a professional, but my posts are not perfect, like many others here. While I have been posting I was working, cooking, watching TV and talking on the phone. Darn I squeeze in posting between a bunch of other things, I am bound to make some mistakes but that is not a TRUE reflection of my language/writing skills. It is a message board, it is custom to use abbreviations and slang. I could care less because it is not a professional setting, I dont proof read or use spell check, different expectations IMO)

Just like some on this board try to veil their anti-Haitian feelings, some posters obviously have anti-Christian feelings.
I respect people more when they just come out and say they have biased, prejudiced beliefs.

El-Profe

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2009
www.myspace.com
Mountainannie,
That is so true, so where can I go from here. Do I leave my kids? Do I give up my dream? I have nothing.....Nada....
I thought that my fellow American Brothers and Sisters could give me a hand, No not me but the children. Like you just said, if its all true. It’s hard to trust any one. Cobraboy said it well: It's some one close to me and that is what everyone else has said, but I don't have any proof, so I’m SOL.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I don't care about his religious belief, what bothers me is the millions he have amassed selling books that tell people how God wants them to be rich.

So are you bothered because he is a good business man, provided a product that people obviously want and like and is now rich?
What are Christians not allowed to be rich business people?
Are you equally bothered by the authors who make millions selling books about other religious/spiritual subjects.

Vacara your prejudice beliefs are rearing its ugly head you cant hide it LOL
Just come out and say it.

America is a free counrty and that includes RELIGIOUS/SPIRITUAL freedom and protection from discrimination based on people right to choose whatever religion they want.

You dont get to choose what people want to beleive in or what church people want to raise their child in or if they want to send their child to a particular religious based school.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
step by step

Mountainannie,
That is so true, so where can I go from here. Do I leave my kids? Do I give up my dream? I have nothing.....Nada....
I thought that my fellow American Brothers and Sisters could give me a hand, No not me but the children. Like you just said, if its all true. It?s hard to trust any one. Cobraboy said it well: It's some one close to me and that is what everyone else has said, but I don't have any proof, so I?m SOL.

ok let's go step by step here

first of all....

do you have a safe place to live?
in that do you feel that whoever robbed you is going to also come to your home and take what you have there?

2 Do you have any money in the bank?

3. Is your rent paid for the next month "

4. How much money does it cost you to live every month?

5. Do you have a plane ticket back to the States?

6. Do you have any where to go there?

7. Do you want to go there and just think things out?

8. How much would it cost to get the school up and running again?

9. What would make you think that the same thing would not happen again?

10. Did you have any bars on the windows, any dogs, any sort of security around the building?

11. Are you friends with any of the Evangelical Christians in Jarabaco who might allow you to use their facilities to set up your operation within thier compounds?

I know that you are not a drinking man, so please make yourself a cup of tea, and take a deep breath and sit down and see if we can't try to help you work through this.

I know that being robbed is a terrible experience.

I went up against the crack and cocaine dealers in Las Terrenas when I lived there and turned them into to Nacionales, and my place was broken into regularly, every other night, for a period of three weeks or so, while I was asleep or while I was out. They only took a little bit every time. Only the radio. Next night the cd player, next night half the jewelry. just to let me know that they could. When I came home one day to find my hammock macheted down and my guitar gone, I packed one back and fled to the Capital.

Thank God for Lambada who kept tabs on my during my flight!

So I know, I know.

You will feel better in the morning.

But you should find the other Christians in town and have them pray with you.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
either it is about god or mamon

So are you bothered because he is a good business man, provided a product that people obviously want and like and is now rich?
What are Christians not allowed to be rich business people?
Are you equally bothered by the authors who make millions selling books about other religious/spiritual subjects.

Vacara your prejudice beliefs are rearing its ugly head you cant hide it LOL
Just come out and say it.

America is a free counrty and that includes RELIGIOUS/SPIRITUAL freedom and protection from discrimination based on people right to choose whatever religion they want.

You dont get to choose what people want to beleive in or what church people want to raise their child in or if they want to send their child to a particular religious based school.

I think if you study Osteen a bit you will find that even Christians are having a hard time with him, Thandie.

Calm down please. Vacara was not spouting prejudice but his opinions of one person's ministries.

It has been a long night and we obviously have an expat in trouble here.:ermm::ermm:

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Mountainannie,
I thought that my fellow American Brothers and Sisters could give me a hand, No not me but the children. Like you just said, if its all true. It?s hard to trust any one. Cobraboy said it well: It's some one close to me and that is what everyone else has said, but I don't have any proof, so I?m SOL.

Profe I wonder if they call you "El Profe" because you look like "El Profesor Jirafales"?.

profesor%20jirafales.jpg

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Just like some on this board try to veil their anti-Haitian feelings, some posters obviously have anti-Christian feelings.
I respect people more when they just come out and say they have biased, prejudiced beliefs.

Dominicans don't try to veil their anti-haitian feelings, we just have it and that's it.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Mountainannie,

If you and your family made it through escaping communist Cuba and coming to the USA with nothing, never asking for a handout, but worked hard to succeed, facing discrimination and going to a school right next door to KKK headquarters you are no stranger to hardships and overcoming them. Really compared to other things you have encountered in your past ...
You will make it through this too.

Dont get too caught up and waste your energy with the attacks you are getting on the board.
You know where it is coming from, you are not the 1st or last person they have attacked in this manner.
None of those attacking you know you personally, have visited your school, even though they are a short ride away and you have given an open invitation. What more can you do to prove to them who you are and what you are doing?

It is a normal human reaction to be deeply hurt when you are robbed especially when you are trying to help others. Then to be accussed of being a racist, sankyreligious didnt help matters. Who wouldnt be offended by that?

This is not an expat experience......My Dominican friends who have been robbed by their friends and family that they have been helping feel the same way.

Reactions: bigbird

El-Profe

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2009
www.myspace.com
Mountainannie,

1. In the Dominican Republic, What is safe? My last place that I rented I lived like a caged animal and I got robbed there too. They used a car jack to pry the bars apart.
2. Yes, I have $6,500 pesos
3. No my rent is not paid for next month.
4. To eat $120 pesos per day, Rent $7,000 pesos per month, Elect about $1,200 per month, internet, $600 per month, Gas for my bike $600 per month. Misc 3,000 per month
5. No Expired
6. No I am a loner
7. I go to the river or up the mountain to think and pray
8. About $3,500 USD
9. Everything is possible, I was robbed again last week as I was taking a shower.
10. Yes we have a gate, but they broke the lock and came in. Last week they broke the door knob and took a cell phone and my watch. I am the only dog, I bark but don’t bite.
11. I don’t have any evangelical friends here, they are all untrue. I have no friends, no family. I do have my students that love me and I love them as if they were my own children. From the age of 6 to 43.
12. Drinking? why not? How can you go threw something like this and not have a beer or two.
13. Yes being robbed is like being raped.
14. I don’t do drugs
15. I have been to every church in Jarabacoa and I don’t feel right in any of them. I am true to my Pastor Joel. I watch him on the internet.

So where do I go from here, Do I sit here a 49 year old man that is trying to do something for the people of the Dominican Republic.

FYI- I lived well when I was back home, but I felt an emptiness in my heart. I wanted to do something to help people be better.

In Miami I managed a Multi Million Property in Miami Beach for some very wealthy people. I was the asset manager, meaning that I was over boat captains, pilots, maids, gardeners, drivers, security and so on. These people were the most unhappy people that I ever met in my entire life. Money is nothing, money dose not bring happiness. Doing good for others brings you happiness. And that is what I had.

Yes I charge my students a small fee $150. per week of class and that is a whole lot cheaper than all the other schools in town. One school is charging $27,000 per semesters where I only charge $1,900.
I am not doing this for the money. I’m doing it for the good of the people and for my own good. Pastor Joel says If you want to feel good make someone else feel good. And it’s true. It’s like my favorite movie “Pay it forward”.

Well I have spilled my guts out to the DR1 community and If you guys want to keep on poking at so be it. I will keep on praying for you ALL.

Good Night and God bless you All.

Status
Not open for further replies.