Bartolo Col?n

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Another one bites the dust: Col?n suspended for 50 games for using synthetic testosterone.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The journalist below called it yesterday and he says there's somebody else left to fall. I'm praying is not Albert Pujols or Jose Bautista..

Los servicios de inteligencia del Chispero juran y perjuran que en los pr?ximos d?as otros dos peloteros dominicanos "grandes" caer?n por uso de esteroides en GL... ?No se vayan, que les seguiremos informando"...

http://dominicanoshoy.com/index.php?id=sacando-chispas&tx_ttnews[year]=2012&tx_ttnews[month]=08&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=76341&cHash=8588f61bf4755aba05344ae9db34ebd3

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I personally don't think Pujols would be capable of using steroids based on his religious convictions. I hope he never proves me wrong.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Bautista seems suspect to me. Sorry you just can't all of sudden become an extraordinary hitter if you weren't all your life. Just like Barry who was good, but not incredible and went from batting 30+ home runs to 70 Bautista went from hitting around 15 a year to 54...hmmmm

baby bori

May 18, 2010
I agree from 15 to 54 the following year or afteryear is a tremendous leap which I personally do not think is logical unless the hitter is being influenced by some greater power(i.e. substance). To me Bautista is suspect of using PED's of some sort. Many Dominican players are getting busted though PED use is common in the DR baseball league(s).

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Babe Ruth's PED were hot dogs, beer, and women LOL...... Imagine hitting 714 home runs playing several times with a hangover from being drunk and eating comfort food while starting his first 4 or 5 seasons as a pitcher.....back then ballparks were bigger lack of medical treatment and technology and minimal vitamin supplements to inflate your muscles. If he was playing in today's era he would easily smack 850 hrs utilizing all the resources available to him nowadays.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Watching Ruth's swing in slow motion is watching a very complex movement look simple and natural. Given that the ball didn't fly as much back then he used a heavier bat than nowadays, which makes him even more impressive. Long live the Babe.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Some of you Babe Ruth nostalgics need to remember that segregation was just a strong a PED as any steroid. Ruth wasn't playing against the best talent in the world, seeing as Latinos and Blacks weren't allowed to play in the majors.

Years ago, before he became the marginalized buffoon he is today, Jos? Canseco attempted to swing a Babe Ruth replica bat during batting practice, I believe it was during the MLB All-Star all-star game of 1988, and said he didn't know how Ruth did it.

Ruth did it in part because he played against diluted pitching staffs that weren't throwing 90 mph-plus like many pitchers do today. This is why Ruth got away with swinging a much heavier bat than normal.

Ruth was also lucky in the sense that he never suffered any serious injuries during his prime. If any of you want to read about a great player who put up HoF numbers while dealing with some incredibly debilitating injuries, read this book-

ff5r42.jpg

If Mantle had access to modern-day sports medicine he would have broken Ruth's all-time home run record. More significantly, if he hadn't suffered any of the major injuries he suffered from, the worst coming in his rookie year when he caught his knee in a drainage pipe in the outfield during the 1951 World Series, who knows what numbers he would have put up. Here he is watching game 3 of the series from a hospital bed-

2s7wh0i.jpg

Unfortunately it wasn't just the injuries that affected Mantle, it was the fact that he was an inveterate alcoholic who never took care of his body, a career cut short at the age of 36.

Taking the realities of the day into account as part of the legacy of a great player like Ruth may seem like I'm diminishing his accomplishments. No, I'm just putting them into their proper context. What would the record books look like if Ruth played Josh Gibson? Very different indeed.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some of you Babe Ruth nostalgics need to remember that segregation was just a strong a PED as any steroid. Ruth wasn't playing against the best talent in the world, seeing as Latinos and Blacks weren't allowed to play in the majors.

Years ago, before he became the marginalized buffoon he is today, Jos? Canseco attempted to swing a Babe Ruth replica bat during batting practice, I believe it was during the MLB All-Star all-star game of 1988, and said he didn't know how Ruth did it.

Ruth did it in part because he played against diluted pitching staffs that weren't throwing 90 mph-plus like many pitchers do today. This is why Ruth got away with swinging a much heavier bat than normal.

Ruth was also lucky in the sense that he never suffered any serious injuries during his prime.
Good points.

I'm reluctant to compare any sport from generation to generation, including Ruth.

I will say that a balance for what you say is the talent pool back then wasn't a fraction as diluted as it is today, especially pitching. All you can do is measure men as to what they did when they did it. To do otherwise is purely hypothetical.

But opinions vary...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When does a athlete finally face facts and understand it is time to retire instead of choosing a path like this to continue? Is it the money or is it they don't indentify with any other type of lifestyle.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
When does a athlete finally face facts and understand it is time to retire instead of choosing a path like this to continue? Is it the money or is it they don't indentify with any other type of lifestyle.
You'd need to be an athlete at a high level to understand.

It takes years to "quit."

Few who do something for 3/4 of their life can self-identify with anything else. It's more than lifestyle. It's part of your being.

Trust me on this one...;)

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
ANOTHER DOMINICAN LOOOOOOSER

TRYN TO BEAT THE SYSTEM

If these idiots would pay the money, they would be like Juan Bautista................ MASKING,

THAT'S WHAT it is all ABOUT

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Baseball is full of interesting "what if's".

People forget the year the M&M Boys (Mantle and Roger Maris) went after the single season home run record, Mantel reached 54 homers and had to sit out a few crucial games games of the year fighting an illness that in retrospect was probably caused by a quack of a doctor who went around injecting his famous clients with amphetamines and other strange and illicit substances that made them sick form time to time. This doctor eventually lost his license to practice medicine.

On September 9, 1961, Mantle had hit his 53rd. homer but didn't slug another one for a two solid weeks. He played seven seasons after that and never hit over 30 homers in a season again. Sad but true.

Then you have Jimmy Foxx, who in 1932 would have beaten Ruth's single season home run record had he not hit 3 balls into fences that covered the top of some outfield walls back in the day that would have been ruled home runs today but were then ground-rule doubles*.

(*In a previous post citing this I had incorrectly stated that Foxx hit these three balls against the foul pole, but I looked it up and it was not the case.)

Back to the steroids issue-Victor Conte made a statement on the ESPN program "Outside The Lines" where he says major league players have confessed to him that testosterone use is rampant in the majors. Of course, Conte's comments have been marginalized because he is seen by many as having no credibility, but it's these types of character who would know.

Then you have the sacred cows of sport like Derek Jeter, who because he is such a monolithic figure, questioning his resurgence at the age of 38 is tantamount to heresy. What makes his season stats worthy of skepticism is he is showing improved numbers in home runs and batting average at an age where the natural aging process would tell a different sort of tale. An improved batting average of 54 points from 2 years ago at the age of 38 is quantifiably suspicious.

But the Dominicans have gotten busted much of late simply because they do things in the inimitable Dominican style-no need to be meticulous about it, because they are convinced they'll never get caught and besides, the rules don't apply to them. This attitude coupled with taking advice from Dominican doping gurus who take a class in nutrition and go around calling themselves experts in the field and you're going to have problems.

As for HgH improving eyesight, here is an article written for "Outside Magazine" where the author states his eyesight improved while taking a cycling of it over an 8-month period-

"If the HGH weren't so expensive, I'd probably continue with it, at least until I had a good reason not to, like some new evidence that it makes you grow extra ears. (The side effects of HGH are reportedly mild—one is fluid retention.) If nothing else, it helped my eyesight, and I had more energy."

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/Drug-Test.html?page=all

In a follow-up question-answer article, the author of the above piece stated that his eyesight improved to the point where he was able to chuck his reading glasses and didn't need them for night driving. When he got off the HgH, he had to resume use of his glasses.

I included this for those who continuously state that steroids do not improve hand-eye coordination. Combine HgH with the improved bat speed one attains with testosterone and it is easy to understand the positive affects a steroid regimen can have on hand-eye coordination as seen from the batting averages of those who've been busted lately.

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
HgH and steroids two completely different chemical and hormonal compounds with different affects on the body. Growth hormone is not steroids and steroids are not growth hormones.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
HgH and steroids two completely different chemical and hormonal compounds with different affects on the body. Growth hormone is not steroids and steroids are not growth hormones.

Finally an informed opinion on the matter, I hate speculative posts on this issue based on media science and no actual knowledge.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
ANOTHER DOMINICAN LOOOOOOSER

TRYN TO BEAT THE SYSTEM

If these idiots would pay the money, they would be like Juan Bautista................ MASKING,

THAT'S WHAT it is all ABOUT

Make sure to arrange a party to celebrate your joy!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let me say this about Colon. Anyone driving from Sosua to Santiago through the Navarette road should slow down at Altamira and look up and to your right. You will see a Baseball Stadium that cost a few million dollars, with lights and anything you would think of in a stadium.

Colon lives there, built it at his own expense for the children to use. You could always find him in Altamira in the off season at the local Calmado drinking a cold one with his neighbors. Also when he won the Cy Young ward he spent $500,000 US on Presidentes for the whole town for one week. People were loading cases in trucks.

Guy may be cheating, but he has a good heart.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I certainly notice the stadium that Colon built whenever I take that road to Santiago. Is it Colon's house that looks like something that belongs in Vatican City a bit further south on the way to Santiago?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Let me say this about Colon. Anyone driving from Sosua to Santiago through the Navarette road should slow down at Altamira and look up and to your right. You will see a Baseball Stadium that cost a few million dollars, with lights and anything you would think of in a stadium.

Colon lives there, built it at his own expense for the children to use. You could always find him in Altamira in the off season at the local Calmado drinking a cold one with his neighbors. Also when he won the Cy Young ward he spent $500,000 US on Presidentes for the whole town for one week. People were loading cases in trucks.

Guy may be cheating, but he has a good heart.

Big deal,

Cry me a river, I have no probs with anyone doing PED"S, just don't be an idiot with your nose in the air thinking your not gonna get caught.

Smart guys are masking, and putting up great numbers,

But this costs big bucks to have one of these guys on your payroll, to make sure you don't get caught,

I know plenty of people in MLB, and the word going around is. Dominicans won't pay for masking....(with the exception of one....hint: he hits a lotta home runs)

Just plain

STUUUUUUUUPID