• Thread starter virgilio dolores-perez
  • Start date

orgulloso de ser dominicano

V

virgilio dolores-perez

A, todos los dominicano ausentes le quiero pedir que por favor nos unamos, y ense?emoles anuestros hijos que han nacido el norte las costumbres nuestra.y mas que todos seamos maestro y ense?emoles,aserca de la historia Dominicana, como tambi?n, nuetra bella geografia.me he decidido, a escribir esto porque me ha llamado la atencion de que aqui en Canada(toronto) donde yo resido en la escuela no le hablan ami hija, dela hermoza y bella,REPUBLICA DOMINICANA. QUE VIVA QUISQUELLA LA VELLA! VIRGILIO D.PEREZ (EL HAINERO28)

E

ECH, MD.

JOHN

Thank you for making a point.
Dominicans use "b" and "v" interchangably as if there is not a difference. And they also interchange a couple of other letters but I have forgotten. POINT I AM MAKING is that it is extremely difficult for dumb gringos like me to learn Spanish. I go look up vella in the dictionary of my good friend "Bictor" and there is no such word. But guess this all harkens back to the long thread we had on the deficiencies of the educational system.

N

Natasha

Re: JOHN

Hi Ernest,

I would have to disagree with this assessment. Actually, it is quite the contrary. We learn early on which words are spelled with a "v" and which ones are spelled with a "b". To interchange these two letters would plainly constitute a spelling error...an embarrassing one too. In school we used to distinguish the "v" from the "b" by associating "v" with the word "vaca" (cow) and "b" with "burro" (donkey). As grown ups we don't use this anology anymore but refer to "v" as "v corta" and "b" as "b larga". I think the confusion (for English speakers) is in the pronunciation beacuse Dominicans, and all Spanish speaking people for that matter, do not pronounce these letters the way they are pronounced in the English language. Think about how in English you pronounce the words "basement" and "vacation". In Latin America there is no difference in the way you pronounce the "v" and the "b". Hope this clarifies things.

Warmest regards, Natasha

M

marykohn

vino/beano :)

They share the same pronunciation, same in Japanese for the v/b and l/r.
You can always ask "?v de vaca, o b de burro?" or "?b grande o v chiquita?"
The original poster's point is important.
Parents, grandparents, please share your heritage with your children, and grandchildren.
MK

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

It is unfortunate that it has taken Sammy Sosa's, Alex Rodriguez's and Pedro Martinez's achievements in baseball, in addition to the hundreds of other Dominican baseball players to bring our country upfront in the world, when there are so many other valuable Dominicans at home and abroad doing great things.

Yes, it is true, that even in the United States, the Dominican Republic is little known except for baseball. And that in their schools, no mention is made of our tiny island. Jamaica is better known, in spite of being a one dimentional tourist island. Yet, we are one of the largest migrations in New York and a considerable amount of our compatriots are spread all over the east coast of the United States, specially in Boston, Hartford, Jersey areas and Philadelphia. We have made an impact on the defense of the United States of America, as our Dominican nationals and sons have fought many wars to protect the American homeland. And our boys are not just desk boys, they are the front line of defense. They proved their worth in Iraq and are ready to defend their new homeland against terrorism.

Dominicans went to the front lines in Kosovo hand in hand with NATO troops and played an important role. We have famous designers,important physicians,teachers,professionals and a crop of young politicians ready to win elections, besides our laborers. There is no reason to maintain the silence in American and Canadian schools about our country. But time will take care of that, as we will become a little giant in trade and a juicy catch for North American investors. So do not despair.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: NATASHA

Point well taken.....
but what can you expect from a gringo........
How about.....while on the subject.......when they stay 'ta ki
but actually mean esta aqui.
tell me that is not a plan to drive gringos crazy wondering what the meaning is.
But not to worry.......when I am elected caudillo...my first decree will be ENGLISH ONLY.........as Fidel forbade all English about 20 years or so ago.........LOL
thanx for letting us know you are alive!!!

C

criss colon

I disagree,most dominicans are poorly educated and do use "b" and "v" interchangeably.I have seen signs: Deli-Veli,Deli-Beli,Villar,Billar,barniz,varniz,and the list goes on!Blame your government,gobernment,not the people.Criss

L

linamia

Hola,

Yo emigre a los estados unidos aun siendo muy joven (5 a?os) me cri? con padres dominicanos que jam?s me dejaron olvidar de donde vine. Tengo tres hijas y ella nacieron en los estados unidos, me da mucha pena que ellas no hablen espa?ol correctamente y que no conozcan la vida simple que se puede vivir en la Republica Dominicana.

Una de las cosas que m?s me toco del libro de Julia Alvarez How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accent fue cuando ella describe que al criarse en los Estados Unidos uno nunca pertenece a esa cultura pero cuando regresa a su patria natal tampoco lo aceptan como parte de esa cultura, as? que uno siempre se siente que esta afuera mirando para dentro. Esto me hizo analizar que era mi trabajo ense?arle mi cultura natal a mis hijas y reinformar que si no la dejan entrar que rompan las puertas claro usando sus mentes (estudiando) Mi hijas se han convertido en unas dominicanos pura leen todo lo que pueden de su historia han llegado a ense?arme una cosa o dos.

Otro punto que quiero tocar, es que cuando uno tiene falta de ortograf?a es simplemente descuido, tambi?n nosotros los Dominicanos queremos escribir tal y como hablamos y eso no es correcto si uno se acostumbra a leer uno mejora su ortograf?a y tambi?n su vocabulario. Yo aprend? a escribir espa?ol de esa forma, claro no lo escribo perfecto pero trato de no cometer errores comunes, tambi?n trato de hablar castellano no dominicano puesto que el ultimo no es un idioma.

N

Natasha

It is your right to disagree. I still disagree with you. So you have seen mispelled signs, so have I. If you have received an education in the DR, even with all of its deficiencies and at least through high school, you will not interchange these letters. Those with less education will mispell words with these letters though. It is easy to do that because like I said, the PRONUNCIATION IS THE SAME.

Regards, Natasha

C

criss colon

As long as the "wealthy,and powerful" dominicans need maids,gardeners,and other cheap labor the DR.will remain what it is today,a "poster child" for all Bananna Republics!Any dominican with a brain and a visa is long gone! Criss

E

El Jefecito

It does not necessarly mean that someone is uneducated. It can mean "this is how I used to hear it and miss it si I'll write it this way just for the heck of it"

E

El Jefecito

More good points... Very few schools in the States even teach about either of the US Interventions in the DR. It is a shame that more is not known about the beauty and history of Columbus' favourite island. Disagree about Jamaica though. I grew up in Sto. Dom and Kingston. Both countries are beautiful and have rich and diverse cultures and histories. What may be the real shame is the denigration of some of the most beautiful areas to create "paradises" for tourists. The real paradises are away from the tourist areas.

Carl

E

ECH, M.D.

"Yet, we are one of the largest migrations in New York and a considerable amount of our compatriots are spread all over the east coast of the United States, specially in Boston, Hartford, Jersey areas and Philadelphia."

One question..........WHY? Why so many Dominicans in the USA?

"We have famous designers,important physicians,teachers,professionals and a crop of young politicians ready to win elections, besides our laborers."

I agree with every word you say.....but want to know why??? Why are not these people in the DR trying to improve their homeland?

Why do so many Dominicans abandon their homeland, their culture, their family and friends and head North.

I would like to hear the reasons you give.

B

Bobs

Ehhh..... could it be, because they want to earn a decent wage and care for their families ?
No shame in that. Turks, Morrocans, Ghaneans, Kurds, Tunisians. All do it by the thousands, knocking at the doors of fortress Europe. Come and see the face of Europe changing and as we all know by now, not necessarily for the better.
On Amsterdam TV every saturday, there's a program by and for Dominicanos and other Latinos. They bring terrific music, spice and salsa caliente to the Dutch Calvinist culture. In my book that's better than me having to raide an African's store after a tipoff and finding "bushmeat" (Gorilla torso and limbs)

E

ECH, M.D.

Ehhh..... could it be, because they want to earn a decent wage and care for their families ?
No shame in that.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.....NO SHAME IN THAT.

The SHAME comes when these very same people denigrate and otherwise malign the very country that is giving them the opportunity they seek, to better their lives and that of their families; the opportunity they DON'T get in their own country of origin.

That is where the "rub comes in" (only polite way I could think of saying it).

N

Natasha

Ernest, I know that you asked for TW's opinions, but I will just give my two cents. I know TW will respond to your questions as well.

One question..........WHY? Why so many Dominicans in the USA?

Dominicans are all over the planet, literally, LOL. I have been to places where I would have never expected to find my compatriots, but THERE THEY ARE working one or two jobs trying to make a decent living. The US is the most attractive destination, no doubt about it. But to answer your question, it is like Anny so eloquently put it in a previous post, millions of people all over the world choose to live in places other than their own country for a number of reasons. You may enjoy DR's climate and a Dominican may want to earn more money in the US. In reality, there are other nationalities that outnumber Dominicans in the US, but we are definitely growing. I was even told that in NYC, we were starting to outnumber Puerto Ricans. Now, weren't there like 3 million Puerto Ricans in NY? I could be wrong.

Why are not these people in the DR trying to improve their homeland?

There are people in the DR (Dominicans) that are trying to make their homeland a better place. DR governments have been no help to the DR, but you have to give credit to the people that are contributing whatever thay can to create change. You are not going to hear about these people on this Board of course, but they are there - working with community organizations, members of civil society, working with international organizations, as well as grassroots and membership organizations, foundations, non-profits, religious organisms, you name it. Yours truly just co-founded a 501 C-3 organization and we will work with non-profits in the DR in the future. The USAID office in Santo Domingo has some really dedicated Dominicans (and I know them)working along with Americans in order to improve health and education in the DR. The question is not why aren't Dominicans trying to improve the homeland. Rather, it is BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE OF THE DR that we have managed to stay somewhat afloat, wheufff!

Why do so many Dominicans abandon their homeland, their culture, their family and friends and head North.

Dominicans are NOTORIOUS for transporting their culture anywhere they go. They may leave the DR [for economic reasons], but they NEVER abandon their homeland. Dominicans are truly a transnational community. No wonder other airlines want a piece of the DR market nowadays. Dominicans are always on a PLANE back to the DR any chance they get. Check out the JFK-SDQ route and you will know what I mean. AND they always have to be bringing stuff for their friends and family in the homeland and sending money via the remesas. Talk about having one foot in NY and another in the DR!!! LOL BUT WE ARE A STUBBORN PEOPLE. we refuse to abandon the homeland even if physically we choose to live somewhere else. I see other nationalities here in the US becoming fully integrated in the American life...NOT DOMINICANS. I actually advocate that Dominicans abandon their homeland a little. BECOME US CITIZENS!!! You see all these Dominicans living here in the US for decades and they still hold on to that FLAG. Enough of that, LOL! I see Indians becoming US citizens by the truckloads, why can't Dominicans do the same? I mean, it is not like once we become US citiznens we will forget how to dance merengue or something, LOL! Can you imagine if Dominicans practiced a little bit of abandonment? We would be two million strong in the US! We could have a voice, we could vote! We could even have some effect on US policy towards the DR...Ummmmm.

Come to think of it, I should have filed for US citizenship twenty years ago...oh well :-/

Warmest regards, Natasha

N

Natasha

Ernest, you and I have exchanged too numerous of e-mails and this is why I feel compelled and comfortable to have this exchange with you. You have been around this board as long or longer than I have and you know that the number of Dominicans that participate on this board is extremely low. Actually, Rob can definitely vouch for that. There are far more ex pats and other foreigners in the DR participating on this board than actual Dominicans.

It is INDEED a SHAME "when these very same people denigrate and otherwise malign the very country that is giving them the opportunity they seek, to better their lives and that of their families; the opportunity they DON'T get in their own country of origin." I have quoted you completely here because as a Dominican that is exactly how I feel when I have to read all the garbage that is written on this board about the DR and her people ON A DAILY BASIS by foreigners in the DR. They are THERE IN THE DR, FOR WHATEVER REASON! THEY ARE GETTING WHATEVER OPPORTUNITY THET ARE SEEKING!!! INDEED, DENIGRATING the country that is providing them with what they are seeking is a DAMN SHAME.

Warmest, Natasha

J

Jo Anne

Re: Natasha

As a Spanish major who teaches English as a Second Language, you really hit the nail on the head! My students struggle to spell in English because those two letters sound so similar in Spanish. Thanks for pointing this out!!

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: NATASHA

I KNOW of what you speak Natasha, but the kids here apparently don't know the difference and use the "v" and "b" interchangebly in their written Spanish. I see this all the time. They pronounce it correctly....but can't spell correctly......who the hell am I to be talking....I can't spell either!!! LOL But sometimes simple two syllable words.
In Latin America there is no difference in the way you pronounce the "v" and the "b". AND THEY SPELL IT JUST THE WAY THEY HAPPEN TO PRONOUNCE IT...???