▫▫ Earthquake Reports ▫▫

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am going to sleep now, whatever happens, will happens. Larry and I are scared shitless, but we are also very tired. We had a long day in jarabacoa, the drinks are catching up to us. We will hit the bed, bye everybody.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Here in Santiago I'm hanging outside with the neighbours, drinking some brugal..

People are talking a lot by cellphone and we're hearing all kinds of rumours.. that a house fell down and killed a family.. that UTESA and a hospital in Puerto Plata have collapsed..

I'm a little dubious, and would be interested in any accurate information..

Adrian

Dec 9, 2002
Oh my God! I've just arrived at the office and logged onto DR1 (the first and most important job every day hahaha), and I can't believe what I'm reading. I just hope everyone there is OK. Please keep us posted on what's happening.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
We were watching TV after this, and the report is that nobody is killed, 2 people went to hospital although it was not caused by the earthquake directly (shock).

So everything is fine. There will be a couple more small aftershocks, but thats it.

I'm going to bed.

Adrian

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It plumb shook us all out of our beds - then we stumbled around for a few trying to figure out what was happening. And as soon as we figured we better get outside (cement roof you know), it lessened in intensity. And as soon as the bananas stopped swaying around on their hook in the kitchen, the aftershocks started.

This morning, damage assessment - we are lucky - nothing that I can see. The house is still on the cliff side, the planta and waterpumps working and the satellite dishes are still on the roof and still working.

6.5 eh! - Wow! I'm with Pib. This is one of the few things that I'm much afraid of -- and here I am, still alive. Wow!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When I first looked at this thread and read the comments about slight tremors, I thought I must have dreamed last night. But then I found the posts of XR, Chris and other North Coasters.

I have experienced a lot of tremors, but nothing like this. Woke up to feel my bed shaking violently while moving across the floor and hearing the crashing of objects hitting the floor.

See no evidence of damage in our apartment, other than all the stuff we swept up last night, but looking down at the heavy concrete wall/railing in front of the building, I see several very large cracks and hunks of concrete lying on the ground.

I live on the 2nd floor. A friend who lives on the third floor tells me there was much more damage in her apartment from objects being thrown to the floor.

TravelMandy

Sep 22, 2003
Earhquake

Hi
Does anyone know the amount of damage at the Occidental Allegro and Grand Ventana.
Any info at all.
Very worried mom inthe UK
Mandy

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I heard that B-1 is a mess. Mine is probably a mess also since I have the hanging glasses which probably are NOT there anymore.

Oh well, live and learn.

I was in a earthquake in NY believe it or not. My bed was shaking early morning. I woke up and thought I had a bad night drinking and the bed must have been shaking from that. I stood up and tried to get my feet settled on the ground and when it finally stopped shaking I went back to bed.

I didn't have anything to drink the night before but I couldnt understand why I would have the shakes like that:)

Hope everyone is ok and no one was hurt or sustained heavy property damage.

Ken, can you post more about the building?

Thanks,
Scott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Escott said:
Ken, can you post more about the building?

Scott, will check and get word to you one way or another. Damage, if there is any, most likely to be stuff that fell off shelves and dropped from the wall. The good news is that even with the power of the shaking, we didn't have as much fall as I feared might.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
We're just too frigging lucky! Just imagine that happening in the middle of the day, people and kids in the collapsed buildings, traffic, kids in school, worried parents/relatives. CHAOS! It would have been a lot worse.

Wow! We're so lucky. Some crappy buildings fell (they must have been crappy if those were the only ones to collapse), a small fire broke out, so what? Nobody was seriously hurt; people were made aware that this could happen and we should be prepared. Now that we are are all ears the authorities should insist that people have escape plans are ready at all times. This could be a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Keep this short..... so the "line" stays open for folks in DR to talk, but following events as closely as possible. Seems as if you all just had another sizeable jolt of 5+ on the RS. Best wishes for your safety, Bill

PS - first learned of the event when a friend in France called. Knew I was planning to go down sometime, and was concerned that I was perhaps there already.

tomas

Sep 9, 2003
any word on Moncion?

Has anyone heard about the area up around Moncion or Cacique? I've got many friends and relatives living there?

Thanks,

Tomas

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Hope everyone is OK. Was on the phone with my girlfriend in Santo Domingo around that time, when she started freaking out. This morning, the news in NY was reporting it as well.

Keep us all overseas updated as much as you can.

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Wow

I was 15 when the major earthquake hit Mexico city, and yesterday night movement brought back my worst memories.
The last replica was felt at 7:35 more less.
Our hotel is all cracked and there are a few aparent walls which felt down.
My worst concern yesterday was a tidal wave of some sort.
:confused:

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I live on a 6th floor of an apartment building in S.D. and was awaken by my fiancee putting the death grip around me.

Had no idea what was happening until a few seconds later I hear the concrete walls and ceiling creaking and making wierd noises.

I'm from Florida so these quakes are definitely a wake up call.

The last earthquake (4.? on the RS) was a lot scarier for me since I was actually awake for the whole thing. Just thanking my lucky stars that this building is in S.D. and not on the north coast... not sure it wouldve came out unscathed.

Anyone all of a sudden scared to death of the concrete ceilings??? :confused: I miss trusses... LOL