▫▫ Earthquake Reports ▫▫

TravelMandy

Sep 22, 2003
My sister is in the Occidental Allegro and waiting news.
Also a friends family are in the Garnd Ventana waiting news on them too.
Mandy

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
From watching CDN last night, they had people calling in from across the country.

Nobody was hurt aside from the two people that went to hospital due to being freaked out. CDN reported no injuries due to the earthquake itself from anywhere in the country.

Naturally the power went out when the earthquake happened, although only for 30 minutes. But Codetel again performed extremely well - my cellphone remained working throughout the night, as did my local phone and internet connection.

So don't worry if you have family or friends here. They will be a little shaken today, but they're fine.

In my apartment one bookshelf fell down, apart from that everything looks fine.

Scott - if the damage in Sosua was the same as Santiago, your glass chandeliers should be fine.

Adrian

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Shake Rattle & Roll

Just had another little one here in Villa Gonzalez, that makes four. We were sound asleep when the big one hit last night. We were literally bouncing on the bed. I woke up, the dog was going crazy, doors slamming, pots & pans falling out of the cabinets, and Danny finally said "earthquake". Then the lights go out.

We jump out of bed, grab some clothes and ran outside just short of starkers. After my heart and the dog calmed down, we started to go back inside when the goddamn door slammed and locked.

Sooo, we've been up all night. finally got back in the house, but still couldn't get in the bedroom (that door slammed also). Drank coffee, watched umpteen movies and waited for the maid to get here to let us in. I am not a happy camper, also very sleepy.

Who knew that the DR has quakes? Not me. This was not in the travel brochure.....Hope everyone is okay other than frayed nerves!

Dianne

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Earthquake anyone?

Thank the Good Lord Above you're all safe and no one was injured!!

Keep your spirits up and have a couple of Brugals!

After reading all these posts and having the morning CDN interpreted, I think we're very lucky here in Manzanillo!!
No one here felt a thing. Slept like a baby through it all.

If any one needs a place to stay during repairs, I have an extra bedroom available here in Manzanillo. You're welcome to have use of it for as long as necessary. Meals will be furnished in addition.

Texas Bill

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete

WELL!! The earth certainly moved for us last night!!
No structural damage that we can see in daylight - did check last night with a torch too. No power since 01.00am.
Woke to major house movement, pictures askew, ornaments over, big waves on the pool, neighbours in the streets, lights and fans swinging, etc. 3 after shocks felt but quite small compared to the first one.
Trust that all others are well?
We're not liking this!!!!
P&A

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We are still having small after shocks in Sosua. As I started to write this, I felt another and watched my monitor jiggle.

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
Good morning everyone. I was working on my computer last night when I felt the earthquake here in Santo Domingo. Being from the US West Coast I knew what it was. I first realized we were having one when the computer monitor started shaking and my chair as well. The doorway is about two feet from the computer so that is where I went.

We live on the second floor and I could hear the whole building shaking. It did not last very long. However like everyone else here I also slept with one eye open.

After making a cursory check there is no damge. In fact not even a picture is crooked.

Last edited:

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Forgot to say

We lost some stucco, got a bunch of new cracks and all our neighbors were up most of the night also. Couldn't get to the computer either. That door was locked as well, and all our keys were in the bedroom.

Is this a common occurence? If so, we may be re-thinking this particular adventure. Does anyone know the "earthquake history" of the DR? If so, plesae enlighten the rest of us.

Thanks,

Dianne

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Costambar/Puerto Plata

Hi it's Maryanne. I took a last minute flight down yesterday and this definitely was a first night that I won't forget! I'm staying in Costambar and when there doesn't appear to much damage in this area.
Last night, at around 3am, we drove into POP to check on Guillermo's family, and everyone was out on the streets. At least 4-5 buildings have been damaged (a bank, an office). No casualities so far.
Lots of aftershocks still happening. I wasn't able to sleep at all. I felt the 5:30am aftershock and I was up and out of bed right away. We were out on the road in front of the building till 4am this morning. At which time, we ventured inside and watched the news.

I hope everyone is safe!

Maryanne

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Latest report 2nd quake

Hlywud said:
another quake reported
2003/09/22 05:30:16 am 19.66N 70.53W 10.0 5.1 magnitude
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/
Yeah, that was the third little aftershock we felt last night. Really strong but nothing compared to that 6.5. The LAT/LON coordinates, within an error of 10 miles, put the center of this thing 5 miles west of Xanadu. Right friggin' underneath me. And I was worried about a hurricane?

Just starting to look things over here. Both high tension power lines to our transformer are down in the street. Dangerous if they are live but I don't think anyone in El Choco has power from Ede Norte. Leaving to check in a few minutes. Looks like we'll be on generators for awhile. We have large freestanding wood roofs here. ... Another aftershock as I type at 9:08A less violent than the 5.1 so maybe 4.0 ... and they were popping up and down and groaning like hell. Last night in bed during a rainstorm I felt drops on my face so they are not functioning properly anymore. Escott, the ground motion seemed to be like waves here. I had the distinct feeling of being tossed up and down and it was really[/] violent here. I knew what it was but I was pretty terrified by it. These little shakes, OK. But that was something else. I actually screamed out loud. A young man who works for me was returning from Sosua to our house in our car as the earthquake hit. He was in our little project going uphill along a long stone wall. He felt the car swaying and then looked out the window to see basketball sized stones popping out of the wall like they were being fired out of a rifle. He stopped and a power pole fell across a side road behind him while the car was tossed around violently.

We're listening to a Puerto Plata radio station. So far just reports of nothing left to buy basically in POP because every church, hardware store, grocery store, etc. Has all their merchandise laying broken on the floor.

We are thankful we're built mostly on coral rock up here. Other areas may get shaken more violently on soil that is sandy or not compacted well. Considering how bad things moved here, I think the house would have come down in that kind of soil. So there will be wide differences in damage reported based on that.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Feel like old friends..... have been shaken by this event. That's how "close" I now feel to DR1 posters, never having laid eyes on one of you. Saw that XR/T posted early on, but nothing since and he'd be the one I thought would be all over this like a fly. Anyone heard from him recently? Assume he's OK, but one never knows. Looks like the big one happened 10km [miles?] directly beneath his swimming pool. At least that's my Kentucky Windage estimation from afar.

AZB, I notice that your English seems to have improved considerably. What happened, did you suddenly see the light? Or, were you just playing around before, you rascal you?

Don't know who he is [Nornan?], but if I read the times correctly there was another post in a separate thread an hour or so before the midnight wakeup call. He must have been prescient or like those creatures, crickets and whatnot, the Chinese used to keep under observation to predict an earthquake....in either case, he might be a guy worth knowing.

Following comments with interest and concern, best to all, P

tonyj

Sep 22, 2003
earthquake

there has been no reporting on the earthquake to the outside world. I have just returned from DR and a friend of mine is still out there. She reported that the quake had destoyed a lot of property on the north coast and she had received unconfirmed reports that 19 people have lost their lives. Can anyone confirm/dent these details?

tonyj

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
Here is the read out of the quake from station in North Carolina.

http://scsn.seis.sc.edu/helicorders/JSC_EHZ_CO.2003092200.gif

Clearly shows the 6.5 quake first and the 5 after shock little while later.

Quite an event- i was just dozing off to sleep but suddenly realised it was a quake. Reasonably strong swaying here in Juan Dolio (south coast) and found lamp shades swinging plus some big waves in pool also which really was the most spectacular!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
D & D said:
Is this a common occurence? If so, we may be re-thinking this particular adventure. Does anyone know the "earthquake history" of the DR? If so, plesae enlighten the rest of us.

There are fault lines that are near or pass through the DR. I have lived here since 1986 and this is the first time I have experienced anything close to the maginitude we had last night. I have felt tremors a number of times, but very short lived and not very intense.

It is difficult to find any place in the world where there aren't hazards from Mother Nature. Tremors and earthquakes aren't unique to the DR; some places are tornado prone others are hurricane prone or flood prone. Or ice storms that knock out the power for long periods during the coldest months of winter. Etc.