100% Dominican, no Venus blood here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal K

Jul 20, 2002
100 % Dominican, no venus

I couldn't help but notice that all of these women seem to be fair skinned beauties. I'm interested to learn how important skin color is in determining what is beautiful in Dominican culture, especially with regard to women. I noticed that one poster mentioned that those looking for really beautiful Dominican women would find them in a certain area and that they look like pure Spanards with straight hair.

I ask beacuse I've heard many dominican men refer to women who are beautiful, but these references never seem to be about women who are any darker than those pictured.

:confused:

Sadly it seems that multi-cultralism is valued by the benefits in body type, but when it comes to skin color the lighter the better.

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Have to agree with you there...these women are not the ones you see in every day life. As I have never been to a tourist part of DR, only in Santo Domingo.. I have never seen these girls go outside, I can imagine because of the hoards of men that would salivate on them and their skin would darken due to exposure to the sun. I don't see a morenita in the bunch. But as AZB says, they are the "white pigeons" of the DR and they are chosen for uniqueness.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Crystal K....sadly but true...in nearly every society....mixed or purely black....the lighter you are the better off you'll be....those are the hard facts of life..

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The truth is that these girls are in abundance in DR. I am not surprised to see that many foreigners are amazed to see white Dominican girls. It?s a common belief among the tourists that almost all the Dominicans are blacks or mixed blacks with dark being the only color. When you tourists see white people at the resort speaking Spanish you think they are Europeans but what you don't realize is that they are also Dominicans. Places like Jarabacoa, constanza, santiago, moca, la vega, parts of mao and many other countryside remote places are full of white Dominicans.
It is true that the dark color predominates in this island so if you are whiter skinned person, you stand out.
In Santiago: If you go to a cheap carwash type discos / bars, you will only see black girls/guys. If you go to a disco in a poor neighborhood, again, you will see most black but a few white girls as well. Now if you go to a more elegant bar ex: francifol, Tribecca or even a few discos like Baja, you will hardly see a black person. You would think you are not even in DR. It seems these places cater to white crowd and often stop people at the door who don't fit in. They have a strict dress code and everyone is from a well to do family.
Most of the girls I date happen to be white although I prefer Indian looking females ex: miss moca. The last 3 of my girlfriends seemed more Europeans than Dominicans. 2 even had blue eyes (naturally).
It?s not completely true that Dominicans think white color is prettier than darker one. It all depends on where you look. In the resort the black sankies (who make 200 dollars / month) only get to date cheap barrio fat girls so naturally when they see a white European / American girl dressed in fine clothes, they are automatically attracted to her. The reason being, the white socio-economically superior girls wouldn't be caught dead with those low life guys. They actually find them disgusting and the low life sankies wouldn't dare strike a conversation with a Santiago beauty that is staying in a resort. Everyone knows his or her place in society. That?s why the better class Dominicans just can't figure out what you foreign girls see in those uneducated guys? I ask the same question.... is it really the size of their "shoe" that matters the most? Is that all there is to a man?
Anyway, the fact is that not all Dominicans are dark / African looking people. In Santiago an average white foreign person would mix into the crown just fine. What gives away their identity is the bandana on the head and the shorts (yeah, what?s with you gringos and the shorts business?).
So here is another reason why some of you should get out of your all-inclusive resorts and explore this country in full detail.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just open your eyes and minds a little...

I know he aggravates some of you, but some of his posts are right on the mark, yes, I'm talking about AZB. I have seen him with 1 or 2 very good looking light skinned girls. Girls that would have a very good chance of making it into the Miss DR photo.

Many of you only visit tourists areas and don't get to really see the DR and all the fruits it has to offer. Get out a little and see this country, it is truly a paradise!
As I have always said, living here is a completely different experience to visiting here.

Crystal K

Jul 20, 2002
Oh my, such a passionate response to a simple inquiry. But so laden with so many presumptions and misinterpetations !

At no time did I say that I was surpised to see white Dominicans... it was Theresa who said " I have never seen these girls go outside ", although I do think she was being a tad sacrastic and did not believe that they don't exist.

My observation was simple: if the Dominican Republic has many peolpe of many colors it's seems odd that ALL of the women in the contest are one color. And it was you who said "It's true that dark color predominates in this island so if you are a whiter skinned person, you stand out". Which again demonstrates my point, why are none of the canidates to represent the counrty in an international competition representantive of the majority ? But maybe your answer to my question lies in your statement "Everyone knows his or her place in society".

Honestly, you with the class stuff... Your frequent mention thereof is telling ...

I'm not sure to whom you refer when you say that "better class Dominicans" but having read many of your posts I think you mean yourself. To answer your question I don't "see" anything in "those uneducated guys". I want to hang out and dance, nothing more. I'm not checking "shoe sizes" or even getting close. When I want to have serious exchange of ideas I'll do that when I'm not on vacation. Furthermore, I'm from New York I didn't need a trip to DR to see what Dominicans can look like. (I won't run a list of how my Dominican ex looks as you did -that was just down right cheesy) So your assumption that I had no idea of the variance in apprance there is among Dominicans is false.

And while I did post with an inquiry as to when and where I should have my next holiday in DR it was not to find out how to go places that as you say "...you will hardly see a black person. You would think you are not in DR. It seems these places cater to white crowd and often stop people at the door who don't fit in. They have a strict dress code and everyone is from a well to do family. "

That is not what I'm looking for :p I can do that at home.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Crystal K.

That picture you see in the OP was done with a lot of lighting, they look darker on TV. There are a couple of blondes, one, I suspect is bottle-blonde. The current Miss R. Dominicana is not precisely "light-skinned". And she is darn beautiful.

I will not like to use this thread to spew my indignation at the intellectual capacity of many a past Miss, all I have to say is that Ruth Ocumares pretty much represents the average Dominican woman (colourwise, not lookswise). But there is a pinch of truth in your post.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Ken said:
I have been to nearly all the islands of the Eastern Caribbean and to Venezuela. In none of these places was it as common as here to see a good looking person, especially female. Generally speaking, the Dominicans are a handsome people, but the women are outstanding.
I agree that the dominicans are a handsome race of people.The combination of the original native dominican "Indians"(who were almost completely wiped out by the Spanish settlers),Spanish,African and a little French blood was some formula.I think Dominican women are the most "strikingly" beautiful in the world.Just line up 10 random dominican women next to 10 randomly picked little pie faced mexican women and you will see what I mean.No offense to the Mexicans but you women look like they got hit in the face with frying pans.
ILoveDR

joescholar

Jul 15, 2002
There is another thing

My wife's family covers many hues, from white to dark skin. Some people in her family have green eyes, other are dark skin, and then some, like my wife are light brown skin. This ismuch similar to some Black families in the United states. But in a country like DR where there has been a long history of intermixing of different groups of people, you never know what shade the children will come out to be. I would not be surprised if some of the models in the pictures have much darker people in their family as well.

Although color is an issue in this country, its nothing like or never will be like the United States. But there is an understand in the world that white equals money.

Here in DR, Economics is the main factor of Marginalization of people. In countries were the middle class is not strong, guess what.

So what is worse, being judged by your color or economics.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I LOVE this thread.....keep the complients coming....what about dancing?.....aren't dominicans the BEST dancers also?....i think so!!!...

Crystal K

Jul 20, 2002
To ILoveDR: Your postleads me to believe that you may have dropped on your head as a child. Why use a qoute from Ken (that was complementary to Dominicans) as your intro to trash Mexicans?
NOT NICE !

Pib- finally someone understood what I was asking. Thanks

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Joescholar...black families in the USA are more homogeneous than in the DR...the analogy does not really correlate all that well..economic condition marginilizes ..but color leads to economic condition...one is a product of the other.......

Crystal K....don't tell me you are surprised that whenever a society wants to put its best foot forward, the light skinned people are the ones exemplified...

ILoveDR...you go, homie!

Crystal K

Jul 20, 2002
Re: There is another thing

joescholar said:
Here in DR, Economics is the main factor of Marginalization of people. In countries were the middle class is not strong, guess what.

So what is worse, being judged by your color or economics. [/B]

Joescholar-

I'd say having the two irrevocably linked, as AZB suggests they are.

Crystal K

Jul 20, 2002
mondongo- I'd not be surpised if we were talking about the states ... but if I'm not mistaken blacks are less than 15% of the US population.
So 75%(allowing room for "other") white Miss America contestants would be representaive of the country. Aside from what Pib says about the current Miss R. Dominicana, it just wasn't adding up for me.

I guess I was hoping to see that there was no racial divide in DR ...I know that's a bit naive.

joescholar

Jul 15, 2002
I agree Crystal

In the states no one should be surprised that Ms America would be white, statistically speaking, but in DR it does not add up.

Is it intentional not to have darker hues represented.

I'm also absorbed into Merengue, a corner stone of their culture, and much of the lyrics pays homage to La Negrita y La Morena. So it just seems odd.

We know what the symbol of beauty is in the States

long blond hair, green eyes, big boobs, hair and about 110 pounds and maybe an IQ of 6, no disrespect to the intelligent ones of course.

What is the symbol of beauty in DR???

The same?????

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Crystal K said:
To ILoveDR: Your postleads me to believe that you may have dropped on your head as a child. Why use a qoute from Ken (that was complementary to Dominicans) as your intro to trash Mexicans?
NOT NICE !

Pib- finally someone understood what I was asking. Thanks
Crystal K,
I was not looking to "trash" Mexicans,I was merely making a comparison.Mexicans have pie faces.I can sit here and lie and say they dont...but they still will.If you like,I will be nice and not refer to their pie faces any more.
ILoveDR

Billy Bob Redma

Jul 18, 2002
Racism exists in every country,and all cultures!

But I have never seen anything to equal the ,lets call it "Colorism",that exists here in the DR!Those of you who only vacation here,or visit here can sit this one out.The people who really "Know" are the foreigners who live and work here.Even the educated dominicans who live here and post on dr1 may not see it.Go to the bank,any bank,how many black tellers do you see?None!A few "Morenitas",and the rest "Claras" and Whites!You want good job here,most important qualification,light skin!Ask any dominican what,"Cabello Malo" is,"bad Hair",and we ain't talking long and straight! How about a "Nariz Fina",a "good nose",not a big wide one for sure!The foreigners who marry a Dominican,and move to the USA,or Canada,and visit here for a week or two every year don't know shit about the dominican republic.The reason "Merengue" music talks about "Morenitas",y "La Negra" is because that is who writes and performs the music!"Gangsta Rap Music"doesn't have lyrics about the "Comming Out Party at the Country Club",it tells about "Sistas with BACK!"The rich white dominicans use,"The Stare"to avoid seeing their poor dark countrymen.They look strait ahead and never make eye contact with the poor!If you don't see em they don't exist! I once told a rich,white,female,dominican doctor from the Naco sector,who was visiting Boston,that I wanted to live in Los Mina when I moved to Santo Domingo,she pissed her pants laughing!I might as well have told here I was moving to UGANDA! I can only surmize that the title of this thread'"No Venus Blood Here",refers to "Venus"Williams,and her African ancestral blood!Very sad thought from someone who should know beter!Billy Bob

Last edited:

joescholar

Jul 15, 2002
Terrible comparison

Billy Bob Redma

for one, gansta rap is not the corner stone of american music, and the entertainers are only a subset of America.

Merengue and bachata is Dominican Republic. Some songs have influenced the voting habits of the country.

"....who writes and performs the music!......."
it shows how much you know about the performers of merengue,
you need to take a look at a little more CD covers. Better yet, don't even worry about it.

No matter where you go, rich people of all societies are always removed from the general republic. Black people who are rich are just as removed as any other color. That is just the mind set of people with money and the rich parents inability to teach their kids how to treat others who are less fortunate.

Thats one of the sins of being wealthy for many. But mind sets like that causes coup attempts and civil war in many countries without a middle class.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"joe" live here for a few years!

Then you will have the experience to "post" about what is ,and what is not,the way things are in the DR!I have looked at the "CD" covers,and watched on TV,most popular "Merengueros"y "Bachateros" but I don't see any "White" ones!..You better define what you mean by "cornerstone" of American music. If you mean "Album Sales","Rap" rules! "Rap" albums "bust" the charts...........Do you ever "post" when you are not under the influence of drugs or alcohol?For someone who purports to be so educated,you can't use capital letters,punctuation,or form a sentence correctly.Your "description" of the symbol of American beauty,aside from being wrong,reads as if was written by a third grader with a severe learning disability! CRISCO

Status
Not open for further replies.