3 yr old with Cancer needs your help!!

This is an update from the gofundpage as an hour ago

We've had a few ups & downs since the last update. Overall though we are making progress with Andrea's care and her mother Carolina is more supportive of our efforts to help Andrea.

Cultural & language barriers have been an issue, but our amazing partners in the DR now have a local Dominican gentleman who is working as a translator & helping things go more smoothly. Establishing trust has also been an issue. Carolina is a very loving mother and very protective of Andrea, and I think having strangers swoop in with offers to help may have been a bit overwhelming. Life is difficult in the DR, especially so for a woman living in poverty, so it's understandable that she would be skeptical.
As one of our DR partners said to me "baby steps". We are all trying our best for Andrea and setbacks aside, we are continuing toward our goal of getting Andrea healthy again.

Thank you once again to everyone who has donated and shared this campaign. Please keep up the great work as we still have more funds to raise and we can't do it without you!

http://www.gofundme.com/andreasmiles

I have asked my friends over and over to give info bc I believe in 100% transparency as well and they will not give me a diagnosis, info or amounts of what things cost so I will stop posting here any info on Andrea as I do not agree with how they are handeling things.

I am in no way saying anything shady is going on but I believe their communication skills aren't the best and they don't realize how important it is to be transparent these days when rasing money.

They have told me they will give info to anyone who has already given money so contact the go fund me page if you want info I guess?

Hopefully Andrea gets all the treatment and help she needs to become a healthy young girl.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have asked my friends over and over to give info bc I believe in 100% transparency as well and they will not give me a diagnosis, info or amounts of what things cost so I will stop posting here any info on Andrea as I do not agree with how they are handeling things.

I am in no way saying anything shady is going on but I believe their communication skills aren't the best and they don't realize how important it is to be transparent these days when rasing money.

They have told me they will give info to anyone who has already given money so contact the go fund me page if you want info I guess?

Hopefully Andrea gets all the treatment and help she needs to become a healthy young girl.

Sounds like you've done everything you can Harley.

You know the old sayings about leading a horse to water....... shooting oneself in the foot..... etc.

Toonie

Nov 19, 2014
trying to post but getting denied. If anyone can post a statement on my behalf please let me know.

Toonie

Nov 19, 2014
Hello All,
Yes our goal is to have the go fund me page provide all of the updates on Andrea's journey to a healthy life.
Anyone wishing to contact us directly for details on her situation please feel free to do so.
Out of respect for Andrea and her family we do not feel it is correct to post publicly the details of her and her families needs she feels bad enough not having the resources to do it on her own but eternally grateful for the help she is receiving. We are not against transparency but are respectful of her right to privacy.
Thank you Harley rock for offering your support for the cause on DR1 we apologize if we caused you any grief in the process.
Our long term goal is to have quarterly financial updates for anyone wishing to view them this will coincide with the last of the 8 week treatments and a clearer diagnosis of Andrea's future needs.
Thank you to all who have donated thus far and we look forward to a positive outcome for Andrea, her family, and everyone involved.

Aug 21, 2007
I suggest the group go to Dr. Bob, the vet. He knows how the system works and has been helping the poor for more years than most of us have lived here. He has contacts all over the country and understand the big picture of what is needed. Further, he is fluent in Spanish and English. Most of all, he can give a realistic picture of what is going on here.

Lindsey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Harley you have gone above and beyond. To Toonie the excuse that the mother feels bad about not having the resources to help is wrong. People already knew of the limited resources but your comment casts a shadow on the situation. Unfortunately this is a lack of transparency. Those who give and want to give would like a clear / realistic picture of what the situation is as mentioned in Lindsey's post. If privacy is what the family wanted then going on social media for donations seems going against this. This little girl deserves so much and needs so much. Everyone may want to rethink their strategy and/or goals. Many are not comfortable with the "reasons" being given for the lack of information. As I said this a beautiful little girl who deserves a chance, pride has no place (Toonie's reason for lack of info). I understand the need for respect but then again you did go on social media for help.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Harleysrock is always ready to jump in and help someone in need. Kudos to him.

Toonie, are you on the ground in Sosua or in Canada? Are you the gofundme page owner?
I know the mom and have helped her financially. She knows she needs help if her daughter is going to live. I've seen no evidence that she desires privacy, just the opposite. So I really don't understand the continued claims of privacy being the reason of no real updates. Throwing out Doctor/Patient privacy as reasons for not being transparent is just strange. And the finger pointing at Carolina as being difficult is also perplexing. It all sounds like excuses to not give details as to how the funds are being spent.
How did the 3,960 get spent that was sent to Sosua?
Is Andrea Diosa currently receiving chemo weekly? At CMC?
When's the last time someone talked to the mom or helped her out?

Long term goal to post financial updates? Long term? Just do it.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
That is a very good story. So are you on board to help out?

And that is not is not a respectable answer nor helping the matter. People want to help but again myself for one want to know my money is going straight to the source. Transparency is important for many, especially those of us who have been there and done it before. I would like to help but I am not really feeling the "gofund" so is there another way, Harley or ctrob? But my heart really goes out to that little girl....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That is a very good story. So are you on board to help out?

Is English your second Language, or are you just not going to answer any of the simple questions that your were directly asked.

Do YOU own the Go Fund me page ?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I would like to help but I am not really feeling the "gofund" so is there another way, Harley or ctrob? But my heart really goes out to that little girl....

There absolutely is. Nothing set up to make it easy with doing it online, but see Manuela at Casa Linda real estate office or Luis at L und I Car Rentals. Both are friends with the Mom and little Andrea and are helping them out.

Go past Rocky's, thru the intersection towards Playa Alicia you'll see a real estate office on the right for Casa Linda. Go in there and intro yourself to Manuela. She is very ice Italian gal who will make sure Andrea Diosa receives the funds. Next door to the Casa Linda office is Luis at L und I Car Rentals. He too is helping the little girl and would make sure they receive the money. You can tell them you got their names from Robert.

Manuela and Luis can also help you meet the Mom and Andrea Diosa. They stop by there all the time.
Good luck and thanks for helping out.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
For what it's worth, I'm hoping the existing GoFundMe page for Andrea Diosa is just going thru some communication issues.

They've got some fundraising momentum, and Andrea Diosa deserves to live.

Toonie

Nov 19, 2014
Sorry guys about my previous post. I am a newbie and was replying to a comment but I am not yet allowed to do so.
My comment was taken out of context. Sorry.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sorry guys about my previous post. I am a newbie and was replying to a comment but I am not yet allowed to do so.

All I have to say is WTF?
People are trying to help save this young girl's life, and you are impeding progress.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
There absolutely is. Nothing set up to make it easy with doing it online, but see Manuela at Casa Linda real estate office or Luis at L und I Car Rentals. Both are friends with the Mom and little Andrea and are helping them out.

Go past Rocky's, thru the intersection towards Playa Alicia you'll see a real estate office on the right for Casa Linda. Go in there and intro yourself to Manuela. She is very ice Italian gal who will make sure Andrea Diosa receives the funds. Next door to the Casa Linda office is Luis at L und I Car Rentals. He too is helping the little girl and would make sure they receive the money. You can tell them you got their names from Robert.

Manuela and Luis can also help you meet the Mom and Andrea Diosa. They stop by there all the time.

Luis is good people.. he trusted me once with something where he did not have to.. i told him i take care of it next time I see you, and i did..
He also held something I left in the rental for months, he could have easily thrown it out or claimed he never saw it.
.. He is a man of Integrity I would personally vouch for him with money , any time..
the other people i dont know personally.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

You most certainly are allowed to reply. I just checked, my third post in this forum was a reply with quote from someone else. You are already on your sixth post.

Anyone feel free to prove me wrong, but the gofundme-page seems to have "Belleville, ON" as the location and the owner mentioned a vacation with her wife in the DR in April, whereas "Toonie" said in his/her first post that his/her location varies between RSJ (Rio San Juan?) and Sosua. So not sure if these are even the same persons?

Also, there seems to be a striking difference on the attitudes (and a minor one in the used language), which I don?t understand at all either.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Thanks ctrob. I am in the Capital but next week I will be coming through the NC but if there is a way from here in Santo Domingo to do something that would be easier. Does anyone know if any of the money from the gofund has reached this little girl? I saw the part about them trying to raise 50k but the 5+k they have now I am sure would help with some things the little girl may need.

Aug 21, 2007
If any of you are in contact with the individuals working with this child, I made contact today with a eyes, ears, nose and throat team from the US who are doing surgeries gratis this week in Puerto Plata. While I cannot diagnose whether this child needs surgery, it would be of great benefit, I would think, for her to at least have a consultation with this medical team. I think they would have the expertise to say what is actually needed and how she should proceed. They may even be willing to pave some ways for further help.

In no way do I mean to interfere with the efforts of others. If those working with the mother and child do not want of feel they need this help, that is fine. All I want to do is offer, since I have the connections and they are waiting to hear whether she will attend their clinic.

If someone reading this can put me in direct touch with those working with this child, I would appreciate it. I do have others who know the mother and child who are willing to speak to them, but at this point, I don't want to interfere with the efforts of the others. I also understand where I can find the mother and child, but again, I prefer not to make a move without first speaking to those who already began this initiative.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007

Having not heard from the people directly involved, I went to track down Luis at the Rental Car place you mentioned. He was not there, but someone gave me his phone number. I was told by his partner that there is "a problem with the money that was collected."

After speaking with Luis, I learned that the woman and child are in Santiago for the weekend. I asked if the child was receiving treatment. He replied, "Not good treatment." (Whatever that means.)

I told him about the eyes, ears, nose, and throat medical team in Puerto Plata this week doing surgeries, gratis. I said that I thought the child should be seen by them for a consult, if nothing else. Luis replied that he would speak to the mother early tomorrow morning and have her stop by my foundation (Strength for the Journey).

The medical team is only here through Thursday, so Andrea would need to go tomorrow to be sure she gets seen. I am working all week. I can make necessary arrangements, but cannot do the running with this mother and child. If there is someone on this forum who has time and would like to be an angel this week, that might help make things happen.

I apologize to the original group working on this initiative, but this window of opportunity is only open for 4 days, I could not live with myself if I knew about it and did nothing. I welcome help, input, and advice from the original group, if they are around. (Luis said that they went back to their home country.)

I'm keeping my fingers cross that we can pull this off.

Lindsey