3 yr old with Cancer needs your help!!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Lindsey - Thanks a lot for getting involved in this. Little Andrea really needs somebody on the ground there spearheading the efforts.
And yes, a consultation certainly can't hurt.

If I was there I could help with transportation, but I'm not. Luis will probably help figure that out. I'll pm you my contact info and also Manuela's phone number. Her office is next door to Luis's office - she's a real sweet gal and also cares a lot about Andrea's well being.

@GoFundMe group - jump in here anytime. There are some good people on the ground in Sosua that can help coordinate. We all want the same thing. And if you got it under control, as Lindsey says, she doesn't want to hamper any ongoing efforts. But lets communicate.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
Andrea and her mother stopped by my office this morning. We will go to Puerto Plata for a medical consultation with the group of doctors from the US at noon today. I will let you know the outcome.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Looonnnnng day. Puzzling day. Frustrating day.

When Andrea and her mother came to my office this morning, I asked the mother to tell me the medical history of Andrea. I asked if she was receiving treatment. I asked where. I asked the name of the doctor. The mother said that she goes to Santiago sometimes for shots- on occasions when she has money. She said that the doctor there says that Andrea has an inoperable tumor.

I gave her the option of going to see the US doctors in Puerto Plata. I told her that it was an opportunity, but if she felt she did not want to go, I understood. She opted to go.

So, we are at the hospital and the first doctor team wants to interview the mother and Andrea. At this point, the mother tells an entirely different story....she says that she goes to Santiago every 8 days and has been doing so for months and Andrea has been in treatment for a year and a half. She said that Andrea was diagnosed at 3 months with this cancer. She told the doctor that she works at night in a bar and when asked where Andrea is then, she responded that her daughters babysit her at home.

At this point, I would have assumed that my Spanish was so bad that I didn't understand what the mother told me in the morning, but thank goodness, I had someone else in the office then, a Dominican who agreed to help with translations, if needed. He also accompanied us to the hospital and overheard what the mother told the doctor. It was he who said that he could not believe that she told an entirely different story to the doctors, that she had lied. While being video-ed by the documentary crew, she made herself look like the hero of the story.

After being interviewed, the doctor who specialized in mouth and throat areas came in to examine Andrea. His comment was that he didn't believe she had a tumor at all, but rather it was something with the thyroid. He asked the mother if she had test results and x-ray films. She said yes. He asked her to bring them tomorrow. She said that she can't, that she was busy. He said, okay, bring them on Wednesday. He said that he would work with her doctor here in Santiago.

When we returned to Sosua, I stopped at the office of Manuella to discuss this with her. She knew the situation better than I. She confirmed that the mother had taken Andrea to Santiago only on occasion. She confirmed that the mother did not have a job working in a bar, and she confirmed that Andrea is on the street with the mother at night.

I have learned working with the poor over the years that unless the person I am helping has the same goal in mind that I do, my time and donors' funds will be wasted. After spending my day working on this situation, I believe- as some others have implied - that the mother is not truly interested in getting medical help for Andrea. She seemed resentful that I took her to see these doctors. She showed no appreciation of my time or help. In fact, she showed me no respect.

As the old saying goes.....you can lead a horse to water.....

Sad for the little girl. Sad for all those others who wanted to help Andrea and who also lost time and money. And sad that this mother has lowered herself with such lies.

Now if, by chance, she surprises us by actually dropping off the test results and x-ray films, I will add another chapter to this drama.

Lindsey

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I saw and heard of people with injuries or other handicaps refusing help because they used it to beg / make money. I sure do hope that mother isn't like that because she wants to use her daughter to collect money... If so they should take the child away from here...

I saw and heard of people with injuries or other handicaps refusing help because they used it to beg / make money. I sure do hope that mother isn't like that because she wants to use her daughter to collect money... If so they should take the child away from here...

Mike unfortunately this seems to be the case. It is an incredibly sad story.

TY lindsey for doing this, i know how busy you are!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Mike unfortunately this seems to be the case. It is an incredibly sad story.

TY lindsey for doing this, i know how busy you are!

So this is a made up scam, to collect money, do enlighten us.
Thyroid issues are generally cured by meds or removal or both.

So this is a made up scam, to collect money, do enlighten us.
Thyroid issues are generally cured by meds or removal or both.

No I do not believe it is a made up scam, she is indeed sick (with what exactly I am not sure??) but a lot of people have attempted to help this child and mom and it has been difficult to say the least.

I would suggest not to give any money to the mom directly if you want to help.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Unfortunately, mothers do use their children as a means of begging for money. The church I attend has a woman who stands at the door with a sign, another young lady and a child with birth defects. The girl holds up the sign that says that the boy is thirteen and suffers from various problems. They stand there almost every Sunday and ask for donations.

Aug 21, 2007
All we can do is offer help. That does not mean offer money.

While my heart breaks for situations such as these, still I cannot judge. They may not be educated. I am not poor. I don't have to worry about how to put food on my table each night. I don't have to worry about how to pay for a house. I have skills that enable to to get a job. I don't have a disabled child who needs constant care. While I don't like a mother using her child for business purposes, I have never walked in their shoes.

It's quick and easy to judge when life is good. As hard at it is sometimes, I try to remind myself not to do so.

Lindsey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Harley, Lindsey and ctrob clearly you all have tried to help, above and beyond. It is so sad for this little girl who with some help may be able to get the care she needs. However I guess no one can "force" our concerns or willingness to help on the mother. Maybe mom has another agenda, who knows. I am not in her position but I do know all pride would be put aside if outside help was being offered to help my child. I just hope for the best for this little girl. Seems there are a lot of us out here who really want to help, just not be played for a donation.

LynnNugent

Jun 9, 2015
Hello All,

My name is Lynn Nugent, and I am the owner of the GoFundMe. I tried posting here before, but my post disappeared (not sure if it was because my account was too new, or because I posted my email address). If anyone wants to contact me personally, you can do so through the GoFundMe. I will be happy to update you.

Here is what happened: My husband and I, along with other family, were on holiday in Sosua. We met Carolina and Andrea and were really taken with what a wonderful little girl Andrea is. We talked (as best we could with little Spanish) to her Mom and were told that Andrea's tumor was cancerous and that she needed treatment (chemo & surgery) that Carolina simply could not afford. As my husband and I had spent a couple of years living in the DR, we had no problem believing her. So, we decided as a group to do what we could to help. When we returned home, I started the GFM, to try and raise the money needed to get Andrea help. The GFM account says Belleville, ON as that is where we live.

We are working with a Canadian couple who live in the DR, and the money from the GoFundMe goes to them. We met them when we met Andrea and have been in contact since we returned from the DR. This is definitely not a scam. My husband and I (along with family) are doing this because we want to help this little girl. We are hopeful that once she is healthy again that we can continue to contribute to her well-being, as well as her families, and hopefully make sure the girls get education & have a decent quality of life.

Out of respect for Andrea I don't want to talk about her medical issues here. If Carolina wants to share that information, she has that right as the child's mother, but as an outsider I don't think it's right for me to do the same.

Again, if you would like to be in touch with me, you can reach me through the GFM and I will happily provide my personal email to you.

Thank you, and thank you to everyone who is doing their best to help Andrea.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

BINGO..

I was born in a country, where this was an ART form..
my .02 cents at this point is that it certainly seem to be pointing in this direction..

i have nothing else of value to contribute to the conversation
.. but I can tell you many stories of first hand experiences with this type of behavior..
this DOES happen. and is not even that unusual in a 3rd word country.
we collectively coming from 1st world ways of life always "assume" that people will appreciate our Altruistic Efforts of Helping them, and then are slapped with the reality that it may not be perceived as Help at all.

Sad for the child.. my Heart goes out to her.. may God keep her safe..

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Now if, by chance, she surprises us by actually dropping off the test results and x-ray films, I will add another chapter to this drama.

Lindsey

Manuela has scans of the xrays if that helps. But I imagine the mother has the originals.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
All we can do is offer help. That does not mean offer money.

While my heart breaks for situations such as these, still I cannot judge. They may not be educated. I am not poor. I don't have to worry about how to put food on my table each night. I don't have to worry about how to pay for a house. I have skills that enable to to get a job. I don't have a disabled child who needs constant care. While I don't like a mother using her child for business purposes, I have never walked in their shoes.

It's quick and easy to judge when life is good. As hard at it is sometimes, I try to remind myself not to do so.

Lindsey

How did it go with the xrays and the Doctor info?

Yes, if she's using the girl for begging purposes and delaying/blocking assistance that would help the girl....I just can't imagine. As a parent, it's hard to come to grips with that.

If you plan on continuing to try and help, Luis might be able to talk some sense into her. Just a thought.

Aug 21, 2007
How did it go with the xrays and the Doctor info?

Yes, if she's using the girl for begging purposes and delaying/blocking assistance that would help the girl....I just can't imagine. As a parent, it's hard to come to grips with that.

If you plan on continuing to try and help, Luis might be able to talk some sense into her. Just a thought.

ctrob, she is supposed to take her x rays and test results today. I'll see later on if Manuella knows if she actually went. Manuelaa gave me the CD with images from CMC. If the mother took her test results today, I'll send someone to deliver the CD I'm holding.

This medical team saw Andrea as a special favor to me. Their schedule was already full before they arrived in the country. Since the mother confidently told one lie after another to the doctors in my presence, I feel my own reputation is now at stake. I am reluctant to give further help. It became obvious to me that the mother did not want, nor felt that she needed my help or that of the medical team.

If, in fact, I am wrong and she delivers her file to the team today, then I will do my part and make sure the CD with test results also is delivered. I haven't seen, nor spoken to the mother since Monday.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
By the way, the mother knows where to find me. She has 2 daughters enrolled in my (free) ballet classes.

Lindsey

Toonie

Nov 19, 2014
We are the couple here in the DR working with Caroline and Andrea. we have just completed 8 weeks of treatment in Santiago. The treatments are Bleomycin. This has not been as easy road as Lindsey knows. It is a constant con from Carolina including hundreds of phone calls looking for cash. We are now waiting for analysis of the situation from the doctor in Santiago.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Toonie - Thanks for the update and glad to hear she got the treatments. How is Andrea feeling?

What did those treatments end up costing? Looking forward to more updates as you get them. Thank you for your efforts in handling everything and keep up the good work.