A lot of businesses closed in Sosua

Jul 28, 2014
Would you like the phone number of a chofer that I PERSONALLY KNOW (NOTE ALL CAPS JUST LIKE YOU!!!!) that is making good money driving cruise passengers?
Granted he has to pay off two people to be the "chofer" of choice for several excursions.
Oh, he lives in Sosua, so not sure if you count this homey.

Great, you know one person from Sosua benefitting, and hes gotta grease people, awesome synopsis...LOL

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Would you like the phone number of a chofer that I PERSONALLY KNOW (NOTE ALL CAPS JUST LIKE YOU!!!!) that is making good money driving cruise passengers?
Granted he has to pay off two people to be the "chofer" of choice for several excursions.
Oh, he lives in Sosua, so not sure if you count this homey.

Although that is a good single example... it is hardly the visions of Cruisers WALKING FREELY about Sosua, spending money in MANY different shops, and on the Beach.. is it ?

not even remotely trying to argue .. sincerely.. just asking .
and the Vendors even right next to the Port ( who i got a chance to speak with before the first ship came in and were very optimistic, as they were right there ) They literally were WALLED OFF, as we all know.
Sosua, WILL imo see MORE of the Cruise money at SOME point in the future, but its not going to be anywhere near what they claimed it would be.
Businesses in Sosua will continue to FAIL, and we all know the real reasons why.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
But who claimed it would be a big payoff for the North Coast? Did the gov't say that? I don't remember it. I'm sure the local rags were touting that, but that's the type of stuff they put out daily. Not necessarily factual. They're just looking for something to write.

The port IS good for the North Coast in terms of bringing attention to the region which would result in increased visits and spending. Yes, hard to quantify but still there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I am thankful Sosua has remained the same. It caters to single men. They're plenty of nice restaurants open and thriving to keep us slimy ,slithering, chauvinistic, capitalist freaks fed. Matter of fact I might even slither over tonight to watch the Cavs Warriors game at Rumba or Merague

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I am thankful Sosua has remained the same. It caters to single men. They're plenty of nice restaurants open and thriving to keep us slimy ,slithering, chauvinistic, capitalist freaks fed. Matter of fact I might even slither over tonight to watch the Cavs Warriors game at Rumba or Merague

They have the High chairs at Merengue (Now Hot peppers ?).. Perfect for you..
lol
just kidding

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I know for a fact that Cest LA Vie bar paid their rent. "Story" circulating is owner of properties died and family wants to sell. Why toss out renters to sell is beyond me but it's not necessary to make sense here. Bar was German owned by the same guy for years, we'll run, no problems.

Oct 11, 2010
Getting back to the OP, one of the businesses that did close recently and will be missed was Cafe Mio in front of Infiniti Blu.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I was in Sosua for 3 days in early May. I stayed in a condo near playa Alicia which was nice as was the beach. I didn't go out for any late nights but daytime walks on Pedro etc. provided nothing more than winks, cat calls and gestures from mostly overly fat, ugly prostitutes. I would guess its better at night but was a rather boring.
I first visited the DR (Cabarete/Sosua) in December 1999. Sosua didn't look to be a family tourist attraction then more the same ol. Those who think a mayor and a new agenda will drive family tourism are just more of those who lack common sense. Again clean it up and organize it. Make it safe rather than putting lipstick on the pig

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Cest La Vie closed, torn down. Shame. Open air bar, some cuties working there, a relaxing vacation kind of place.

Oct 11, 2010
I first visited here in 2005, so could the guys who have visited Sosua in 2001 please tell us if this town was a destination for family tourism... !?

Believe it or not before 2001, yes, just not tourism from the United States.

Families from Europe filled many of the hotels now closed or converted including Esplanada, Costa Real, Sun Beach, Vista Mar, One Ocean Place, Las Almendras, Casa Marina, Hotel Encuentro and quite a few others.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Families from Europe filled many of the hotels now closed or converted including Esplanada, Costa Real, Sun Beach, Vista Mar, One Ocean Place, Las Almendras, Casa Marina, Hotel Encuentro and quite a few others.

Is Hotel Encuentro the very large abandoned building near Encuentro Beach in Cabarete or is it the abandoned building on the south side of the main highway in Sosua??

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

That was back in the days when there were fewer choices in the Caribbean. The AI's have changed much.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
That was back in the days when there were fewer choices in the Caribbean. The AI's have changed much.

As well as the tourist (at least North American) mentality/wants/needs in my opini?n. Each had a direct affect on the other.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I don't think I have seen any cruisers strolling around Sosua.They could be disguised as normal tourists but there's not many of those either at the moment so the cruisers would probably stand out.

Where would they visit anyway?
What is unique here?
There is the Jewish museum and the..............No,I give up......

Pavements in PC are looking good for them though if there should be a sudden influx of paving aficionados on a cruise.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
It was not long ago, right hear, people were emphasizing that Sosua was destined to become a "family" destination and changes were already in place. Sosua is what it is and I enjoy it. However it will not become a " with the wife and kids" location any time in the forseeability future. Even budget travelers are not bringing there family to Sosua. There is still enough pleasure seekers and a few others to sustain the local businesses.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
When will they realize that they need to make Sosua the best prostitution town.

This.

I don't really understand what direction they want to go with Sosua and/or Puerto Plata. The government will do nothing, there is no point in having competition to Punta Cana.

Also, it's not like Sosua/PP is a nice winter destination. 'Family' comes over in December to enjoy 2 weeks of f****** rain.

Make it an Adult Las Vegas. There is no need to be cheap and shabby, enough people who are willing to spend to have fun. You want to have (adult) fun and sun, go to Sosua.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I really thought for a while they would either take it INDOORS, or to the other end of PC, or designate a certain area for it.
But NO.. they decided to try to sweep it under the RUG, pretend it did not even exist... but the Tourists are not that stupid, and know the deal, and still are not coming ,as they predicted & promised.
PC will NEVER be Rows of Tables with Happy Families and Couples DINING Al Fresco o n Langosta & Camarones, with Bottles of Wine on Ice, with Birthday Cakes and songs . ...the whole family with Kids from Indiana
.. It was a pipe dream they had.
Heard recently you could roll a balling ball down PEDRO on a Friday Night and not hit a single person..
Not good.. no matter which side you are Rooting for. (the family traveler or the weekend Playas)
What you WILL have is Nice Brand new Sidewalks, in a Ghost Town with a lot of VENDE signs in the windows.
This is like sterilizing the Golden Goose so she stops laying the eggs.
Too bad Willy lost the Mayoral Race, as slippery as he is he would have fixed that town.

slokum

Jun 9, 2016
Why did the Russian,s buy the cafe mio and then close it down? It was a great place. Doesn't,t make any sense. The staff were great also.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This.

I don't really understand what direction they want to go with Sosua and/or Puerto Plata.

Make it an Adult Las Vegas.

Not going to happen.

The Dominican's want it to be a family destination. They don't want it to be a Hooker destination, and all that comes with it. That pressure comes from the capitol, local gov't, businesses, and residents. And on top of that, you have developers that don't want to be in an area known for being a "sex destination" - and they have the means to apply their own pressure.

It is what it is. But change takes time, especially here.