Adios Playero and Hola Super Pola.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Probably nothing - Super Pola is a chain store, part of La Sirena, I believe their prices are the same in all their stores.

The prices may or may not be the same...I don't know, but the choice of goods would be a lot less!

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We come from Cabrera to Sosua to shop for items we can't get here. We generally have all the basics locally but are looking for specialty items and I don't see Super Polo filling this need. Great veggie section tho! Like others,- hate the shelf stocking while you are trying to get down the aisles.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Snyders of Hannover pretzells cheddar cheese are on sale in Playero - 2 packs for RD$ 118 or so. Bought 1 yesterday. Nice, edible. Tried to find the "best before" date - nothing. It was wiped out from the top right corner of the package. Went to Playero an hour ago. Looked at the pile with the "Offerta" packages - no expiration date on all packs. Went to regular, no offerta, shelves. On ALL packs, including exactly same cheddar cheese ones - there is a date on top-right corner of the package. Asked for the manager - tall skinny guy near cashiers counters. Showed him two packages of same stuff - offerta and no offerta. Asked him to explain where is the expiration date has gone. He was quite surprised, and made a story that it came that way from the supplier from Santo Domingo.

Not good.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Playero Management Thanks Bred For His Report

Snyders of Hannover pretzells cheddar cheese are on sale in Playero - 2 packs for RD$ 118 or so. Bought 1 yesterday. Nice, edible. Tried to find the "best before" date - nothing. It was wiped out from the top right corner of the package. Went to Playero an hour ago. Looked at the pile with the "Offerta" packages - no expiration date on all packs. Went to regular, no offerta, shelves. On ALL packs, including exactly same cheddar cheese ones - there is a date on top-right corner of the package. Asked for the manager - tall skinny guy near cashiers counters. Showed him two packages of same stuff - offerta and no offerta. Asked him to explain where is the expiration date has gone. He was quite surprised, and made a story that it came that way from the supplier from Santo Domingo.

Not good.

I passed on the information provided by Bred to one of the owners of Playero. Very quickly got a report that the special came from the supplier independent of the regular delivery. As you can see from the message I received, the owners were very appreciative and took immediate action:

"Thanks for the mail.

"I spoke with the people in our Warehouse, and they informed me that the supplier sent the merchandise like that and they did not realize the date was missing.

"All these bags were taken away and would be returned to supplier.

"Thanks again,"

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
....and you don't get deathly sick....:p

"Best Used Before" is the date the maker thinks identifies when the product will taste the freshest. Eating something past that date won't harm you. We have all probably eaten and will eat things past the date, especially stuff we keep in the pantry for awhile. I know I have and will.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"Best Used Before" is the date the maker thinks identifies when the product will taste the freshest. Eating something past that date won't harm you. We have all probably eaten and will eat things past the date, especially stuff we keep in the pantry for awhile. I know I have and will.

you are correct. but what i eat at home is my business and my responsibility. a store should not sell products past best before date. unless they sell only that, i understand that in the USA there are places that sell expired foods, i saw it on TV ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
you are correct. but what i eat at home is my business and my responsibility. a store should not sell products past best before date.

In this case, the store did not intend to sell it and removed it from the shelves when informed it was past the date.

But in any case, because it is your business and responsibility to decide what to eat at home, YOU should ALWAYS check the date, regardless of where you buy it, rather than depending only on the store. With all the products going into a store, it would be too much to expect that some will slip through the screening in any grocery store with a lot of turnover.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Additional Thanks From Playero Management

I sent a message linking them to the message I posted. Received this reply:

"Thanks Ken! We appreciate this info, so we can improve things.

'Regards,"

This is not the first report that I passed on, all have dealt with and responded to.

Playero has made a serious effort to work with DR1 members and has appreciated both the information, suggestions and requests received.

Besides quickly addressing problems like was reported today, in response to suggestions Playero initiated an express lane and started posting at the entrance to the store lists of new products on the shelves.

Additionally, many products have been added to the inventory in response to requests. The cottage cheese mentioned by a poster the other day is just one example.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I did my first bit of shopping in the Pola today and it's OK but not that special really. The prices were on par or in some cases more than, Playero. The fish counter is a nice addition and the fresh produce layout is good.
I had to pay my phone so went to Playero anyway as the Claro in the Pola is not yet functioning and had a compare.

Definitely more choice in Playero plus the products I'm used to and know where to find so I wouldn't write them off yet.
Prices not dramatically different after the opening offers finished in Pola.
Competition is usually healthy anyway and I still like Playero, and so it seems do many others.

(BTW .I have no agenda one way or another, just sayin' as I see it.)

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Ken, did the manager I talked to report it to the boss? No, i guess. He only argued with me. Only when the boss heared from you - they took an action. That is not good. The bosses should hear the customers. I told the guy I have been shopping at Playero for 7 years now and spent thousands of dollars. And what?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken, did the manager I talked to report it to the boss? No, i guess. He only argued with me. Only when the boss heared from you - they took an action. That is not good. The bosses should hear the customers. I told the guy I have been shopping at Playero for 7 years now and spent thousands of dollars. And what?

Who did you talk with, one of the guys in the striped shirts? I thought you said he said it came that way from the supplier, which was true. I don't know, of course, if he really knew that, however, because I am sure the people in the striped shirts are not involved in stocking decisions, etc.

The owners are not at the store all the time, the one I contacted was in Santo Domingo. It is entirely possible he reported it to the on-site manager, neither of us know. I think we have be careful about making assumptions. Just because you don't see it happen doesn't mean that it doesn't.

In any case, the important thing is you were heard and appropriate action was taken. What is also important is that the owners are very interested in the input of the customers. They were very appreciative of the fact you made the report.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Just for clarification, the people in striped shirts are not managers. They are primarily there to give support to the cashiers, deal with product returns, that sort of thing. They are not what you and I would call a manager. I am going to find out what the procedure is for them to get information to the store manager. Maybe there is a log where they make a report, I don't know, that is read by the manager at the end of the day, or something like that. But it is worth exploration.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
A few months back we went to Playero to pick up some sour cream for our nachos that night. They had about 2 dozen containers and all were best before dated the next day. Decided we could do without. Went back two days later and still about 2 dozen sour cream containers for sale but somehow they now had no expiry date on them - probably got them from the same supplier I am sure :)

I passed on the information provided by Bred to one of the owners of Playero. Very quickly got a report that the special came from the supplier independent of the regular delivery. As you can see from the message I received, the owners were very appreciative and took immediate action:

"Thanks for the mail.

"I spoke with the people in our Warehouse, and they informed me that the supplier sent the merchandise like that and they did not realize the date was missing.

"All these bags were taken away and would be returned to supplier.

"Thanks again,"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A few months back we went to Playero to pick up some sour cream for our nachos that night. They had about 2 dozen containers and all were best before dated the next day. Decided we could do without. Went back two days later and still about 2 dozen sour cream containers for sale but somehow they now had no expiry date on them - probably got them from the same supplier I am sure :)

I am absolutely sure you are correct (either that or it "happens all the time"). :eek:

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
It would be helpful if Playero had an easily accessible customer service counter for shoppers to use. Playero should invest in some local employees to work at the counter who had even a limited knowledge of english, german and perhaps french and have a clear and organized way to process returns and requests. Considering the amount of money that passes through there daily this is a tiny investment to make their customers comfortable and happy.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It would be helpful if Playero had an easily accessible customer service counter for shoppers to use. Playero should invest in some local employees to work at the counter who had even a limited knowledge of english, german and perhaps french and have a clear and organized way to process returns and requests. Considering the amount of money that passes through there daily this is a tiny investment to make their customers comfortable and happy.

Good suggestion, I'll pass it on. Not sure about all the languages, but certainly English and Spanish.

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Playero needs to get it together -- stopped by there this afternoon to pick up some items. Now that business is slow, the cashiers and many bag boys have more time to jaw jack. We bagged our own groceries while they ignored that they needed to work and continued walking in circles and not paying attention to the customers. I can bag my own, but really - you have new competition in town and you don't step it up ? :(

The striped shirt "support" just watched my husband bag and when he was almost done, he directed a boy over. The lady in the next isle was bagging her own also.

How to be a success ? Good customer service, good products and good prices !