Adjusting to your new country.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hi there, my situation is a little bit different, I'm the immigrant and my wife is a dual citizen, she was born in the DR and raised in the US. so she speak both, English and spanish perfect. Her customs are no different than mine. I arrived in the US. five months ago. Two weeks later I got my social security card, the permanent green card for ten years and the driving license. One week later I got saving acount on two different banks & debit cards, an American express credit card on my name. I bought a car, three days after my arrival I got a job driving a truck for a landscaspe co. I was driving this truck using my dominican driving lic. as they needed a driver for an immidiate position. I quit from this job one week later as it was too hard for me. them I started working for a used car lot doing mechanics works, three weeks later they let me go. now I've been working for a company that manages the pub lic parking garages in the downtown for about three months doing valet parking, working like cashier and some time when they have special events on the weekends, like manager.
we bought a nice house here in Raleigh,But any way I'm still having a hard time in this contry becouse every thing is different than in the DR.
Every day I say that I'm lucky becouse I arrived in this contry speaking English.
Any way I miss my family, I have two doughter of a previus marriage, my mother, six aunts a lot of cousins and about one million friends everywhere in the DR.
I miss my contry and my customs.

Some time I'll be back.

JJ.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hi there, my situation is a little bit different, I'm the immigrant and my wife is a dual citizen, she was born in the DR and raised in the US. so she speak both, English and spanish perfect. Her customs are no different than mine. I arrived in the US. five months ago. Two weeks later I got my social security card, the permanent green card for ten years and the driving license. One week later I got saving acount on two different banks & debit cards, an American express credit card on my name. I bought a car, three days after my arrival I got a job driving a truck for a landscaspe co. I was driving this truck using my dominican driving lic. as they needed a driver for an immidiate position. I quit from this job one week later as it was too hard for me. them I started working for a used car lot doing mechanics works, three weeks later they let me go. now I've been working for a company that manages the pub lic parking garages in the downtown for about three months doing valet parking, working like cashier and some time when they have special events on the weekends, like manager.
we bought a nice house here in Raleigh,But any way I'm still having a hard time in this contry becouse every thing is different than in the DR.
Every day I say that I'm lucky becouse I arrived in this contry speaking English.
Any way I miss my family, I have two doughter of a previus marriage, my mother, six aunts a lot of cousins and about one million friends everywhere in the DR.

Some time I'll be back.

JJ.

"Estoy aqui pero mi menta esta alla"

YouTube - Pe?a Suazo y la Banda Gorda mix "Estoy Aqui pero mi mente ..

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Just some suggestions

Some time I'll be back.

JJ.

You're doing really well and I'm sure you'll either be managing or starting your own business soon since you have so many transferable skills as a business man in the Dominican Republic working with people from all over the world.

I have some suggestions for meeting people. Since you're already good at using the Internet to communicate here on DR1, why not use the internet to find people in Raleigh? You could start a Meetup group and try to organize Dominicans in Raleigh, similar to this one for expats from Peru.

The Triangle Peruvian Meetup Group (Morrisville, NC) - Meetup.com

Also you could join these meetups and go and meet other people who either are Hispanic professionals or love Latin music and dance.

Raleigh Hispanic Professionals
Triangle Hispanic Professionals (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup.com

59 people who love salsa, bachata and merengue.
Salseros, bachateros y merengueros de NC (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup.com

88 people who are interested in Cuba (and I suspect they'll be interested in the DR)
The NC Cuban Culture Meetup (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup.com

Also, think about starting your own business. I'm sure you can do it. Good luck.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Different culture, different way to enjoy the life. This is me today at Cameron village in downtown Raleigh.

JJsgalery.jpg

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Nice foto & I guess you have your first autumn and winter coming up?

I hope you're finding daily life a little easier. I know my first 6 months living in Santiago were very difficult adjusting to both work, culture, language, and finding my way around. But after that orientation period I really began to enjoy things and, well, 8 years later I'm still in DR.

Interestingly I had someone asking today if I'd seen any pumpkins for sale in Cabarete. Can you pick out an extra one & send EPS?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
My husband Mario landed in Canada 2 weeks ago. When he landed in Toronto they asked him where he was going and he said Canada. They said we know you are goingt o Canada but where are you going to live? He again said Canada. Then they explained he was in Canada and he laughed and said Oh, I am goingt o live in Edmonton, Alberta. He told me he had thought Toronto was a country on its own. I realized the way people talk about Toronto it quite easily could take that picture in someone who hasn't travelled's mind. Too funny.

The first 2 days were spent drinking and eating and having friends and family visit! It was wonderful! He enjoyed himself so much. That and exploring everything I had in the apartment. Then on the 3rd day we went out and got his SIN number, Alberta Health Care Card and we got him an Alberta Government issued ID card. I wanted him to have an ID card that wasn't his Passport before he gets his license. You can get these at any Registry office.

I took him to work with me - I work in West Edmonton Mall one day and let him wander around. He thought it was the most beautiful place he had ever been. He couldn't believe everything in the mall. In fact he loved watching the Sea Lions the most. He stayed home another day and then 2 other Dominicano guys that live here came and picked him up one day and they spent the day together.

It is really great that he has made friends here already. It has been a huge help. He has his own independance and can speak Spanish and talk about all things related to the DR with them.

He applied at 2 Supermarkets and was hired immediately by both of them. They were both for Full-time positions and he has been juggling both trying to figure out which one he likes best. This morning in fact he just called one of them and gave his notice. He is goingt o stay with the one across the road from our house even though it pays less. It will be so much easier for him to be able to run across the road when it is -30c and snowing than having to wait for a bus. Even if it is just for the next 6 months or so while he gets used to everything. his way he won't be as stressed.

He LOVES our apartment. He thinks the dishwasher is amazing and he is always loading, unloading and turning it on. I haven't had to do it once since he got here. He always asks is it okay if I take the garbage out now? I told him not ot bother asking me as my answer would always be YES! Ha Ha! I taught him how to use the vacumn and he loves that too. It is nice having a man around the house that actually enjoys cleaning! - I hope it doesn't wear off! But he has also learned this from his friends here who when he has called has told him that they were cleaningthe house right then. So he doesn't have to feel it isn't macho to help out around the house!

He likes ot cook but doesn't know how to - I told him MANY times before we left to get his Mother and Sisters to teach him a few things but he said he already knew lots and would be fine - wrong! I did just ordere Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook. I need to know a good recipie to cook beans. I think he is missing the Rice and Beans the most. He will eat anything really though so that is good. He loves Campbell's chunky soups. I came home one day and he had made a huge salad bowl full of Mashed potatoes. I was so proud of him! Then I found out he had called one of his Dominicano buddies here in Edmonton to ask what to do - at least he doesn't mind asking for help!

He hasn't minded the cool temperatures as of yet. So many times he has said he doesn't need a jacket. Like this morning for instance...it is 1c and chilly and he said I will be fine without a coat. As if. I made him put his vest on and as I watched him walk to work I saw him zip up when he got outside and put his hands in the pockets. He will learn even if it is the hard way.

We have talked about the sending money home issue and neither of us has a problem with it. He said he will send between $1-200 a month depending on the month and his family is really good at not asking for anything. He also has a borther living in Miami that sends money home every month - sometimes it is more sometimes it is less depending on the month. Their Father dies a few years ago so they send the money to their Mother. I have no probelm with this as I love his family and also do not want to see them go without. What is a hundred dollars a month? $25 a week? I blow that on stupid stuff like eating out etc. and don't even realize I have spent it. I think it is the least we can do. We really have great lives living here in Canada and I know we all take what we have for granted. His family have never asked me for money once. I always treat them to different things and it makes me feel good doing it. If they were to start asking, I am sure I would think differently but they don't and that makes me want to help more.

My husband loves it here. He calls my Mum and Dad all the time on the phone just to tell them what he has been doing that day. I never find out about it until my Mum tells me he called her. Very cute. I am glad he has friends and family here that are really supporting him as it wouldn't be the same i imagine if it wasn't for all of them!

We went to the Celine Dion concert the other night. He couldn't beleive how many people were there - and mostly women. He asked where the men were and I said oh most men here in Canada are not romantic so are scared to go to shows like this. He just laughed and enjoyed every minute of it! He thought it was "Grande League"! He said wow! Was Celine ever a Professional! It was a great night. He wants to go to a Hockey game now and a Football game - I have no problem with the Hockey game but I am not sitting outside at the end of October watching football for 3 hours!! He will have to wait until next July or August for that one.

We have 2 Halloween parties to go to this weekend. One is being thrown by a Dominicano who has been here for a couple of years and is also from the same city my husband is from. He has invited all the Dominicanos here in Edmonton so it should be a good night. It only sucks that my husband has to work the next morning at 8am. Oh well. The costume hunting was hilarious! He was adiment that he would NOT wear a costume. We walked in to a costume store and he was saying "No way am I wearing one of these, No way, No way, No way!!!" then his head turned to the left and he got all excited and said "Zorro!!??!!" OMG I almost died laughing! He had that costume out of the bag so fast and was trying it on. He LOVES it! In fact I know he has tried it on while I was at work because I came home and he had it out on the bed.

Sometimes it can be frustrating but being able to spend every day with my husband makes it defintely worth while!!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Nice foto & I guess you have your first autumn and winter coming up?

I hope you're finding daily life a little easier. I know my first 6 months living in Santiago were very difficult adjusting to both work, culture, language, and finding my way around. But after that orientation period I really began to enjoy things and, well, 8 years later I'm still in DR.

Interestingly I had someone asking today if I'd seen any pumpkins for sale in Cabarete. Can you pick out an extra one & send EPS?

Pumpkins are really heavy to be mailed to the DR. those you see in my picture were given for free to visitor at fall festival on Sunday here in Raleigh.
I'm starting to feel the cold weather, temperatures had been coming down to the thirties during the past two weeks.
Yes after six months here, I'm doing better , now I'm not so confuse about directions, I know how to drive every where, that was my biggest problem in the fist time. this is a big city and it is very different becouse most of the streets are dead end, I drive using the main streets and never trying to take shortcut. when I need to find direction I use google maps.
I'm doing a big effort to learn more English every day, some time I find people in my job that show a bad actitude againt me when they notice that my comunication is no very good specially when I ask them to repeat something for me. But I don't care I will keep on doing and I know that every day I'm doing better. I'm getting use to the southerner people's abcent, I don't have any problem understanding people from New York or Jersey they speak slow and clear.

JJ.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Lexi,

Loved the Zorro costume story lol.
Glad to hear that your husband has DR friends, good extended family and job so quickly after his arrival.

Wishing you and your husband the best

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm getting use to the southerner people's abcent, I don't have any problem understanding people from New York or Jersey they speak slow and clear.

JJ.

Well slap my granny and call me silly, Honeychild. What you said just dills my pickle. If I didn't know better, I'd think you're lyin' like a one-legged dog. I don't know why y'all might be havin' a conniption trying to cypher what we saying in the south. It's them damned yankees in New York that talk funny. Trying to understand them is about as useless as tits on a bull.

Anyways, I reckon you're busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest learning your way 'round town.

I've gotta go see a man about a dog now, but you keep trying. In no time you'll be doing fine as frog's hair split three times.

ok, maybe you do have a point.

Reactions: Lapurr

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks Thandie!

I forgot to mention, we also went ot all the Latino shops in the city so he knows where to get Yucca etc. He bought frozen Yucca and loves it! He can just take it out of the freezer as needed and cook it up. He says it tastes the same as fresh!

The hair is another story though! He needed a haircut and wanted it done right then...it was a Friday night and after driving to 5 "Closed" barbers he said he wanted to try a Supercuts. He had a Chinese woman shave his hair! I think he is traumatized for life!! She shaved off his sideburns also!! LOL! This will teach him to plan ahead! He couldn't believe a woman was going to cut his hair - first time in his life and especially that she was from "China!" It was hilarious!!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
too cute!

you made me laugh twice today lexi!

great stories!!

wishing you both the best
sangria

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Lexi, sounds like you two are a perfect couple, with your comic twist (by the sounds of it) he's pretty funny guy too!!

I'm so happy for you guys! if you guys ever come to Calgary!! we'll have you over for Dinner!! or even Stampede!! come check out the mountains!!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Autumn is showing, it is a pretty season, this is the first time I see the leaves falling off the trees.

autom2008.jpg

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I spent 38 years in upstate NY. I finally escaped to California and now live in the DR. The thought of leaves falling from the trees with snow soon to be on the ground sends shivers up my spine. To all those that ask, "Do you ever miss the seasons?" I say" NO! and I never will." I do know many people that love it, I just will never understand why someone would choose to live there.

I used to think as you do. I haven't seen the snow for the last 10 years and right now up north in Montreal, I'm waiting for the first snow fall of the season. I hate the cold winter but yes now I admit it: I miss the snow and this year i'll see the snow.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
My husband in Canada

Well.. i know half the poster on this board... but for others who are bringing their spouses to Canada..... here is my story.
He arrived here May26th 2007 it was 4degrees out and it snowed on June4th he loved it. He has been here for over 1yr and 6months and Loves everything about our weather... he loves the snow, the shovelling, the ICE FISHING, everything he loves about our outdoors. He got his SIN# the day after he arrived, his health card exactly 3months later - had his 1st Physical then, he found it so strange that the doctor was asking so mnay questions and checking all sorts of stuff.. Clean bill of health!!!

As for work he started working right away painting for poeple, he loved it, loved making money. Paying our bills etc...
Sending $ to family has never been an issue for us. We have sent a total 500$ tops in the last year and a half. 200$ of it was in food, from the colmado there, so we knew they would have food rather then spend it away..
His family always askes but he says, its not fair for him to support them and ask me to support us. He knows me and our son come first, anything extra if and when we have it goes to them.

He still does not like our food, example. Pizza, spegetti sauces, subs, all that fun stuff we eat for lunchs he hates, he wants RICE chicken, Pork, etc..
He is the chef in our house, we shop only at NO FRILLS cause of the Yucca and Plantains there...

My grandmother asked him today, which to do u prefer .. Canada or Dominican Rep.. He answerd, Canada because i can support my wife and child and DOminican Rep for the FOOD and fun....

And back we go to DR for 1month leaving in 4 days!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOO
BTW.... There are no Dominicans near here... He is almost the only coloured person in my city way up NORTH HERE!!!! already over 1 foot of snow.

:)

Reactions: Chirimoya

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
We went on Friday to apply for OHIP.
We had two pieces of proof of Ontario residency so it was a very simple process (bank statement and new G1 driver's license :)).
There is a form to fill out which they have at the office.
We arrived around 9:30am on Friday and the Mississauga was not that busy and we did not have to wait to long.

The OHIP coverage will begin 3 months from the day that my husband landed here in Canada - it is not 3 months from the day that you apply at the office so do not stress if it takes you a month before you have a document that proves your spouse's address.

There is a requirement that you stay in the country - it states 6 months online and 5 months in the brochure at the office - from the time you land. I asked what happens if he had to go home for an emergency and they said to keep all of your information; boarding passes etc. I'm sure that you would also have to prove the emergency that you left for.

what do you mean there is a requirement to stay in the country for 5 or 6 months before going home

Johana

May 24, 2006
Mart,

That requirement was on a pamphlet at the office and taped to the counter.

However, the form that he signed states that he will be physically present in Ontario for at least 5 months of any 12 month period and that he will not be absent for more than 30days within the first 183 days of establishing residency.

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/...DocsPublish/014-0265-82~13/$File/0265-82_.pdf

I know I read the note on the counter at the office that said you could not leave Ontario for the first 5 months which contradicts the form - I'm going to have to check at home for the pamplet.

Each province probably has different requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
My husband and I went grocery shopping last night and when I was putting everything away, I took the old mayonnaise jar and handed it to him to throw out so I could put the new one in the fridge. He looked at me and said why? I said because it is empty. He said no it isn't, look, and proceeded to show me the jar with little scrapings left on the bottom. I just looked at him and he laughed and said "Oh yeah - I forgot I am not in the DR anymore" and chucked it in the garbage. He said down there we would eat it until we had the jar sparkling clean!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
My husband and I just went out to visit my sister and her family as they live in a small town in Northern Alberta. I wanted him to see some of the fun winter things to do. He went sledding, fed the horses, quadding and Ice Fishing. As we were sat in the small hut on the frozen lake bundled by the fire, I looked at him and said did you ever think 2 years ago that this is where you would be today? He laughed and said no, but that he was loving every minute. We just had our 1st wedding anniversary on the 2nd and this was a great way to spend it.