Aftermath of Hurricanes Irma & Maria

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
La Romana ..there is sun and a gentle breeze but I wonder if people saw the El Dia video of the Rio Soco River as you enter El Siebo from the south ..a raging torrent about 100 yards wide where as normally you can almost cross it by jumping from one rock to another..Amazing pic . ..Everyone can talk about the pre stressed materials for the bridges but the strongest , by evidence, are the arch bridges . as cross the Thames and are in France and in Italy from early Roman days .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With only one side of the Imbert bridge open it was a two hour backup just to get from one side to the other. That ride is long enough!

Dependig on the time of day, even from Cabarete going the Samana route will add another 45 minutes to your trip.

Getting off topic here, but I find it much quicker to Zona Colonial from Cabarete via the Samana highway.

Everyone that I have talked to that has taken that way via Samana has said it is MUCH faster, as in 90 minutes shorter, getting to Santo Domingo than going through Santiago from Cabarete.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ZC via Autopista... NEW

By avoiding a full crossing of SD you should save a lot of time and miss any accidents to disrupt the trip.

Cabrera to ZC is less than 2.5 hours....add an hour to that for Cabarete....3-3.5 hours, 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will be going to SD next week. which route to take from PP in the existing conditions? how long more is it going to take to get there?

today in PP nice weather. cloudy. sun shows it's face for brief moments but otherwise it's cooler than it was recently. perfect running weather. and i was dying to leave home after yday.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Everyone that I have talked to that has taken that way via Samana has said it is MUCH faster, as in 90 minutes shorter, getting to Santo Domingo than going through Santiago from Cabarete.

I never go to SD through PP and Santiago. That's definitely the slow way to go. I go over the mountains to Moca and down to SD. 3 hrs 10 minutes max to Av. Lopez Vega exit just past Ikea.

Last edited:

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
With only one side of the Imbert bridge open it was a two hour backup just to get from one side to the other. That ride is long enough!

Dependig on the time of day, even from Cabarete going the Samana route will add another 45 minutes to your trip.

Is the bridge at Imbert badly damaged. They did alot of work on the river bed below it in last few months

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is the bridge out after Sabemeta? SP.

If you mean the one going up to Moca through Jamao, yes, that bridge is out.

21762003_10209785473656770_8730090089698057119_n.jpg

Aug 21, 2007
Damage also to the work being done on the new bridge.

The mayor's office indicated that a temporary fix is in the works. With the fix, small cars will be able to cross, but no trucks. Hope it is a quick fix.

The school director had to walk from Palo Roto to Jamao today to get to the school. The ambulance can no longer transport passengers. It is permitted only to go to the hospital in Moca. These are only two examples of lives being disrupted. There are hundreds.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a bit of a story..

During Maria, my man and his family decamped to my house... caring for dogs, house, etc

3 small children and a 3 week old... breast fed..

They anticipated a 1 night stay so had no food for the 2nd night.
I told them to use the freezer food... cook it.

After a full day with young ones and breast feeding- inside - no outdoors - she must have been exhausted

She thanked me and added - I hope I have the energy to cook.

She's not quite 30....
3 little boys and one on the hip -- typical RD woman.

I can't imagine how tired she was.

She texted me 2x during the storm..
Where is it now ??

I was giving them updates as to how much longer it might be
'Might' being the operative word

Way longer than we all expected and too long !!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hurricane Maria destroyed 45 homes in different locations of Puerto Plata province

Hurricane Maria destroyed 45 homes in different locations of Puerto Plata province

Hurricane-Maria-Aftermath-for-Dominican-Republic-300x199.jpg

PUERTO PLATA .- Hurricane Maria caused the destruction of approximately 45 houses in different localities of Puerto Plata province as it has been reported by official sources.

In the neighborhood of La Piedra in Charamicos sector of the municipality Sosúa, 35 houses were destroyed by the winds and the strong waves of the Atlantic Ocean.

Mrs. Yudelka Pineda informed that in the early hours of Thursday night she and her three children were lying in bed, when a large wave came up the cliffs and took two houses that were close to hers, resulted with the roof completely detached.

Similarly, other residents of La Piedra de Sosúa called for the intervention of government authorities because they live in a very vulnerable area and whenever there is an atmospheric phenomenon they are at the mercy of being dragged by the sea.

In addition to the 35 houses that were totally destroyed, there were other houses affected by floods and winds in the sector of the La Piedra of Sosúa. Also two houses were destroyed by the collapse of a large tree on top of the dwellings of two families. Mayor Ilanna Neumann supervised the damages and promised to help them.

Also in the sector Los Cartones de Montellano seven houses that were on the banks of the Camú River collapsed and the structure was dragged by floods.

Source: Puerto Plata Digital

Sep 22, 2017

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While for the most part the Dominican Republic was spared the brunt of Category 5 Hurricane Maria as it moved west from Puerto Rico, the large size of the storm brought flooding and damage caused by rain bands and winds.

The forecasted path of the storm was maintained, and local forecasters also proved right. Onamet forecaster Francisco Holguin as early as Wednesday, 20 September 2017, had alerted of flash flooding given the size of the storm. He had warned the aftermath, not the storm itself would bring damage to the Dominican Republic.

Flooding, fallen trees and light posts have affected towns and cities despite the eye of the storm being well to the north of the country. Social media and WhatsApp chats have enabled many people to report and follow the effects of the storm.

The DR1 Storm Chat on WhatsApp and on the DR1 Hurricane thread on the DR1 Forums early on Thursday, 21 September 2017, with the eye exiting, warned that the southern part of the storm would be bringing lots of rain and strong winds that are still over the Caribbean Sea.

“This type of storm is not a dot on Windy [the online weather site], it is a complex system covering and affecting an area several times the size of the Dominican Republic,” alerted the resident weather forecaster, who operates a sport fishing business in Punta Cana and posts on the DR1 Forum as MikeFisher. He explained the southern part of the storm was still south of the country, thus generating the bad weather when everyone could see the eye of the storm had moved well north.

The recommendation on Thursday continued to be to stay away from flood prone areas, rivers or areas prone to mudslides through Friday, 22 September.

On Thursday, 21 September 2017, the Emergency Operations Center (COE) had declared 23 of the 32 Dominican provinces and the National District on red alert. One aging 78-year old man in Higuey municipality in the east was reported disappeared when he did not heed the advice and is known to have attempted to cross a flooding stream. Another person, identified as 32-year old Antonio Miranda, in Espaillat on the north coast, who died instantly when the roof of his dwelling collapsed during a mudslide.

Reports from Santo Domingo related that with schools, government and most businesses closed on Thursday, Santo Domingo seemed like a ghost town, with most of the public transport also stopped, including the Santo Domingo Metro. During the Hurricane, weather permitting, several Omsa government buses ran on their usual long routes with service free on Thursday. The Ministry of Education ordered all schools nationwide to remain closed on Friday.

Nevertheless, the capital city of Santo Domingo was not affected by significant power outages, as occurred in other areas of the country. A light drizzle, and occasional wind gusts reminded residents there was a storm in the neighborhood.

In Santo Domingo, social media shared videos of the Santo Domingo Country Club in western Santo Domingo that was flooded as waters of a nearby creek swept through the social club. Otherwise, in Santo Domingo on Thursday evening several fast food restaurants and restaurants (Taco Bell, included) opened with a good showing of their clientele.

From Punta Cana, tourists at hotels were relocated to second floors and areas safe from flooding for Wednesday and Thursday, while hurricane protocols were implemented. Large numbers of staff remained at the resorts when impeded to return to their homes by the storm. In some cases hotel staff waited out the storms in the conference rooms prepared for them and reportedly killed time playing dominoes.

In the East, the old Higuey to Veron road is closed to traffic as Higuey municipality and Ministry of Public Works crews help clear debris primarily from fallen trees. A key bridge on the route also collapsed and will need to be repaired. Traffic on the main Coral Highway route between La Romana and Punta Cana (including Higuey) was not affected.

Reports are of hurricane storm wind gusts, heavy rain hitting the area. The Cap Cana Marina proved to be the safe place to dock boats. Two catamarans and speedboats left at sea were said to have sunk. In populated areas, light posts and trees were down. There was a show of lots of solidarity as neighbors gathered to share a meal, and help neighbors to repair damage.

In La Romana, reports are that the Chavón River swelled and pushed a wide span of muddy water to the sea. Some signs are down in the city.

In Puerto Plata, the focus was on the erosion at Playa Alicia in Sosua and the high tide that slurped at Cabarete Beach. There are reports of flooding of the waters of Boba River and Yasica River in the north. Communities in northwestern Mao and Esperanza were also said to have been affected by flash floods and the opening of the floodgates of Tavera and Monción dams. Farms are expected to be affected by the flooding waters.

A major 16-vehicle car crash was reported on Duarte Highway on Thursday.

Source: DR1, 7dias