Aftermath of Hurricanes Irma & Maria

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
RD airports operate normally, but some flights are still suspended

By: EDITORIAL ALMOMENTO.NET Date:September 23, 2017In: Notify APP AlMomento , Cover 0 Comments

SANTO DOMINGO.- Following the passage of Hurricane Maria, activities in the main airports of the Dominican Republic are carried out normally this Saturday.

However, flights to and from some foreign locations whose airports are not operating due to the effects of the atmospheric phenomenon are still suspended, said the company Aeropuertos Dominos Siglo XXI (Aerodom), which manages most of the local terminals.

He indicated that the recommendation is maintained to the passengers to consult with the airlines the status of their flights to or from these routes.

http://almomento.net/aeropuertos-rd-operan-con-normalidad-pero-algunos-vuelos-siguen-suspendidos/

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
At least 400 people belonging to some 60 families remained incommunicado in the area of ​​Batey Yabacao, which was flooded by the flooding of the river Yabacao, after the heavy downpours of Hurricane Maria.

The authorities headed by Senator Charlie Mariotti; provincial governor Nicio Rosario and police colonel José Antigua carried out an operation in a boat and a helicopter of the Dominican Air Force managing to rescue 50 children and 40 women who were traladados to a refuge in the city of Monte Plata.

They said that residents in Batey Yabacao ignored the call of relief agencies to evacuate the area considered to be in high danger.

Authorities have ordered food from the air to be supplied to families who are unaccustomed, because it has been difficult to reach the place by other means of communication.

According to Senator Mariotti and Governor Rosario, people who are in this situation refused to leave their homes, despite the warnings they made because it is one of the most vulnerable areas of the province Monte Plata.

Although the rains stopped in the afternoon yesterday, in this municipality are communities incommunicado Mata Los Indios, El Hatillo, El Prado and El Coquito, due to the overflow of the Sabita and Yabacao rivers.

The province of Monte Plata was placed on a red alert by the Emergency Operations Center (COE), last Thursday due to the effects of Hurricane Maria.

https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...acion-incomunica-a-60-familias-en-monte-plata

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The rains will continue until tomorrow; increase number of displaced persons and damages

SANTO DOMINGO. Because the cloud fields of Hurricane Maria remain on the Dominican Republic, rain will remain until this Sunday in much of the national territory, increasing the chances of sudden floods and landslides.

The warning was made yesterday by the relief agencies that still maintain 27 provinces on alert.

"The extensive cloud fields of Hurricane Maria remain covering the national territory, accompanied by heavy downpours, thunderstorms and wind gusts. The downpours will be more frequent towards the northwest, southeast, southwest, north, central mountain range and border area, "states the National Weather Bureau (Onamet) in its weather report.

General Juan Manuel Méndez, director of the Center for Emergency Operations (COE), reported that the number of displaced and housed increased to 19,844 people in different parts of the country.

Of that amount, 10,929 were taken to official shelters and 8,915 to homes of relatives and friends.

He maintained that so far there are 3,723 flooded houses, of which 11 0 are totally destroyed and 570 partially affected.

Mendez said there are 38 incommunicado areas, 4 affected bridges and 40 damaged aqueducts.

In response to the weather conditions, the provinces La Altagracia, El Seibo, Hato Mayor, Samaná, Espaillat, María Trinidad Sánchez, Puerto Plata, Santiago, Sánchez Ramírez, Monseñor Nouel, La Romana, Montecristi, Duarte, San Juan, Valverde , Dajabón, Santiago Rodríguez, San Pedro de Macorís, Hermanas Mirabal and La Vega.

In yellow alert are Azua, San José de Ocoa, Santo Domingo, National District, San Cristóbal and Monte Plata, and in green Peravia.

However, notices of hurricane and storm conditions on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic were discontinued.

According to the COE, among the incommunicado areas are the community of Las Gordas, in Maria Trinidad Sánchez; El Paso, from Sabana de la Mar, Caño Hondo; and in El Seibo section La Cuchilla and Arroyo Grande.

The prohibitions

The authorities ordered that all boats should remain in port due to winds and abnormal waves recorded on all the coasts of the country.

It prohibits the use of beaches and water sports, as well as recreational activities in mountain, the use of spas, rivers, pools, canals and streams.

They called on the population to take precautions and keep abreast of the guidelines of the different relief agencies.

About the deaths

Although two people died and another was declared missing due to the effects of Hurricane Maria, the authorities do not report them as victims of the atmospheric phenomenon.

From the province Espaillat, the newspaper reports report that Antonio Miranda Henríquez, 32, died when a landslide occurred. He fell on the roof of his residence in the municipality of San Victor.

Another of the victims is Braulyn Cedano Santana, 79, who was dragged by the waters of the Azafrán River in the Santana community in Higüey. A third person died after a tree fell on him in San Francisco de Macorís.

None of the cases have been reported in official figures from the Center for Emergency Operations (COE), given that the agency does not consider them victims of Hurricane Maria.

In Hato Mayor more water fell
The statistics of the Division of Hydrometeorology of the National Office of Meteorology showed that the highest amount of water dropped during Hurricane Maria was received by the Hato Mayor del Rey, which received 355.8 millimeters. In Sabana de la Mar fell 223.9 and in Santiago 217.8. Also, the station of the Onamet placed in the airport of Arroyo Barril registered that in that zone fell 179.7; in Limón del Yuna there was a rainfall of 171.5 millimeters; in Sánchez, Samaná 151.1; and in Villa Rivas, 155.4. Also, the Onamet reported that in the community of Guanico fell 144.6 millimeters of water, in Altamira 131.8, in the Llanos occurred precipitations by 125.7 and in San Francisco de Macorís, 113.

The figures of Hurricane Maria

Aqueducts were affected by the rains left behind by Hurricane Maria.

Provinces remain on alert, of them 20 in red, 6 in yellow and 1 in green, according to the Emergency Operations Center (COE).

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...entan-numero-de-desplazados-y-danos-MY8230428

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
SAMANÁ. In this province of the Northeast, Hurricane Maria struck hard, leaving houses torn down or homeless, a large number of trees on the ground and the anguish of people who lost all or almost all their wares.

Coraima Ramón, director of Civil Defense in the province, has recorded about 69 houses that were affected in the municipality, 36 of them totally destroyed. Some fell due to landslides, but most were due to the winds of the phenomenon that happened in category three near the north coast of the country.

The most affected areas in Samaná were the municipalities Las Galeras, El Limón, La Laguna, Arroyo Seco and Loma Atravesada, where several houses that had been rebuilt by INVI after the passage of Hurricane Irma, fell again with Maria.

Prim Pujals, a senator from the province, describes the damage as very serious, especially in agriculture, because plantations of bananas, yucca, yams were devastated, he says.

On Friday, the President of the Republic, Danilo Medina, visited some of the affected areas to assess the damages, and promised, according to the senator, to build with blocks the houses of Loma Atravesada that fell.

In the municipality of Las Terrenas, much of the damage was caused by the great waves that eroded part of the coast area, from the place known as La Playa de los Pescadores to Punta Popi. They also undermined sections of the road that goes to Portillo. The mayor of the municipality, Alex Garcia, describes as serious the situation that crosses that community that depends on the tourist activity.

San Francisco Macorís
Around 60 thousand tasks planted with rice, bananas, bananas, auyamas, lechoza and other minor fruits remain under water and dozens of families are incommunicado by the floods of several rivers, among them, the Yuna and the Catamey.

Of the farms planted with rice, where there was a large amount for cutting, more than 50 percent was damaged, according to the information reported by rice producer Carmelo Santana.

"The rice farmers of Bajo Yuna are practically broken, first with the floods of Irma, and now with those of María, we need President Danilo Medina to provide our urgent help," Santana said.

He said that many times the president of the nation dispose one thing and the officials do another.

In this area, more than 200 families had to be evacuated by security agencies because of the floods, both here in Villa Riva and in San Francisco de Macoris.

The evacuated persons belong to the sections The Up and Down Riels, Juana Rodríguez, Alto de Los Peynados, Los Contreras, Majagual, the Cross of the Green and in Sandy, the Students and the Quarry.

Dozens of cattle, pigs and birds were taken out by their owners.

Evacuate families in Mao
More than 300 families were evacuated in different sectors of the province Valverde, due to the floods caused by the floods of the Amina and Yaque del Norte rivers.

The people were taken to official shelters and homes of friends and family. The displaced reside in Palo Verde, Castañuelas, in Montecristi, and Amina, in Valverde.

While Espaillat was incommunicado with Puerto Plata after collapsing the bridge that united both provinces with the municipality Jamao to the North, where the authorities did not report injured people.

Santiago
In this city, the Civil Defense reported that more than 500 people are housed in the Sameji club, in La Barranquita, in the club Juan Payero and two in the GUG, in the widening Libertad. "We provide people with cooked food and we give them medical care and security," said Francisco Arias, national deputy director. He said that about 20 houses were destroyed and about 50 partially. Hundreds of homes were flooded, both in the urban area and in the municipalities Villa Gonzalez, Licey al Medio, Tamboril, Navarrete and Puñal.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...-familias-a-la-intemperie-por-maria-XY8230770

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Check out the photo from Miches:

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...o-tras-derrumbe-del-hoyo-de-cisnero-HH8229867

Miches remains incommunicado after collapse of the Hoyo de Cisnero

MICHES. The transport between Miches and El Seibo is still paralyzed, after the collapse of the road that joins them in the point known as Hoyo de Cisnero, a precipice in which dozens of people have died in the last two decades.

Teams of the Ministry of Public Works work to try to reestablish traffic. To reach Miches you have to be by air or travel first to Bavaro or Sabana de la Mar, by land. Other landslides have occurred at the height of kilometer 10 of the aforementioned road.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The couple who run the Centro Cultural de Miches, Cayuco and Abril, lost everything when the cultural centre, which is also their home, was flooded. Their friends in Santo Domingo are collecting emergency items and there is an account number for donations. For more details please PM me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting thing that COE does not report those two deaths as a result of a hurricane. makes you think how many people really die during xmas or SS and do not make it into the official count...

May 5, 2007
Hurricane Maria destroyed 45 homes in different locations of Puerto Plata province

Hurricane-Maria-Aftermath-for-Dominican-Republic-300x199.jpg

PUERTO PLATA .- Hurricane Maria caused the destruction of approximately 45 houses in different localities of Puerto Plata province as it has been reported by official sources.

In the neighborhood of La Piedra in Charamicos sector of the municipality Sosúa, 35 houses were destroyed by the winds and the strong waves of the Atlantic Ocean.

Mrs. Yudelka Pineda informed that in the early hours of Thursday night she and her three children were lying in bed, when a large wave came up the cliffs and took two houses that were close to hers, resulted with the roof completely detached.

Similarly, other residents of La Piedra de Sosúa called for the intervention of government authorities because they live in a very vulnerable area and whenever there is an atmospheric phenomenon they are at the mercy of being dragged by the sea.

In addition to the 35 houses that were totally destroyed, there were other houses affected by floods and winds in the sector of the La Piedra of Sosúa. Also two houses were destroyed by the collapse of a large tree on top of the dwellings of two families. Mayor Ilanna Neumann supervised the damages and promised to help them.

Also in the sector Los Cartones de Montellano seven houses that were on the banks of the Camú River collapsed and the structure was dragged by floods.

Source: Puerto Plata Digital

Sep 22, 2017

Sad, but thanks for story and pictures, first I have seen regarding the Sosua area

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Update on our Rosita.  Cousin spending weekend at our house called us. He's been told that Rosita was seen with a severe head injury and that she later died and they buried her. Heartbreaking, she was a special girl. Irma still claiming lives. 

What a heart-wrenching outcome.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting thing that COE does not report those two deaths as a result of a hurricane. makes you think how many people really die during xmas or SS and do not make it into the official count...

and COE's boss addressed this issue. according to him the mentally ill guy who died in a landslide does not count because he was crazy and therefore responsibility of his family. and a guy who died attempting to cross the river was simply stupid and therefore does not count:
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...n-que-no-pueden-estar-en-su-informe-LB8232278
you could not make this shyte up if you tried.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i wonder about that picture. what are those pipes sticking out from the ground? could it be the house owners were using them to flush dirty water from their houses directly into the river? could any leakage loosen the soil enough for it to be less stable and therefore at more danger of a slide?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
i wonder about that picture. what are those pipes sticking out from the ground? could it be the house owners were using them to flush dirty water from their houses directly into the river? could any leakage loosen the soil enough for it to be less stable and therefore at more danger of a slide?

That's absolutely what they are. Looks like 3" pvc, which is used for main sewage drains. Meaning waste water right from the bathroom. The dirtiest of dirty water, if you get my drift. I'm fairly confident there is no septic tank between those houses and the water.

Could that pic be Charimicos though? It's awfully choppy water for a river, and this would be after the storm. But it's real brown too. Don't know. Either way, not very sanitary.

That reminds me, I gotta build me a pool.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Toilet drains to rivers....

They don't have septics.

That's why they live beside streams and rivers.

The poorest areas are often on waterways
Fact of life

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a bit of a story..

During Maria, my man and his family decamped to my house... caring for dogs, house, etc

3 small children and a 3 week old... breast fed..

They anticipated a 1 night stay so had no food for the 2nd night.
I told them to use the freezer food... cook it.

After a full day with young ones and breast feeding- inside - no outdoors - she must have been exhausted

She thanked me and added - I hope I have the energy to cook.

She's not quite 30....
3 little boys and one on the hip -- typical RD woman.

I can't imagine how tired she was.

She texted me 2x during the storm..
Where is it now ??

I was giving them updates as to how much longer it might be
'Might' being the operative word

Way longer than we all expected and too long !!

As I read about the difficulties many people faced - and will continue to face- My imagination runs...

The little family I mentioned above passed the storm in relative comfort...
little to worry about.

Those who were coping with this otherwise -- meaning-

water & mud flowing in, the roof blowing off allowing the rain from above...
All the while trying to protect the children and belongings.

Unfathomable;

Add to that you could be washed away if you lived beside a waterway...

My mind spins thinking about it

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I wonder what was done in just two days to temporarily make the bridge safe from further buckling? Could it be that the officials just decided they had no other choice and reopened the bridge as it is for all, except trucks?

If "they" continue to dawdle on the replacement, that bridge it will fall someday, maybe it will only take one more significant rainfall...