Aftermath of Hurricanes Irma & Maria

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Good news! Jamao bridge has a temporary fix for foot traffic, motor bike, and cars. No trucks, though.

Lindsey

That's great! Did you actually drive it yourself? Or is that second hand info?  I have to drive to Santiago airport tomorrow from Sosua, and that's always been my preferred route.

Anyone else drive over it? Is the route driveable by a regular car (not a 4WD jeepeta/SUV). Thanks. 

Aug 21, 2007
That's great! Did you actually drive it yourself? Or is that second hand info?  I have to drive to Santiago airport tomorrow from Sosua, and that's always been my preferred route.

Anyone else drive over it? Is the route driveable by a regular car (not a 4WD jeepeta/SUV). Thanks. 

This is the information I was given by the assistant to the mayor. I have seen people crossing. So it is first hand and second hand information.

It is being considered a local route. When you make the Sabaneta turn, there is a police and signs saying that the road is out. But I believe, if you keep going, they will let you cross. I would not take a big car over it. Although I am passing it on Wednesday in my Jeep Wrangler.

Having trouble posting pic. Sorry.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
I wonder what was done in just two days to temporarily make the bridge safe from further buckling? Could it be that the officials just decided they had no other choice and reopened the bridge as it is for all, except trucks?

If "they" continue to dawdle on the replacement, that bridge it will fall someday, maybe it will only take one more significant rainfall...

They filled in with colichi. (Don't know how to spell that.) If I could post a pic, I would, but something is going wrong. Will keep trying.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my sahara is about 2 tons curb weight. not a light car. but a good ride in post-hurricane circumstances. we used it to check the neighbourhood after irma and then maria. hopefully you will be able to navigate those affected areas safely.

Aug 21, 2007
Here is the pic of the "fixed" bridge. Have no idea how to insert the image directly. Sorry

hx9k7p.jpg

Lindsey

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
car weights

Vehicle Class Curb Weight in Pounds Curb Weight in Kilograms
Compact car 2,979 pounds 1,354 kilograms
Midsize car 3,497 pounds 1,590 kilograms
Large car 4,366 pounds 1,985 kilograms
Compact truck or SUV 3,470 pounds 1,577 kilograms

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Looks good to go.

So my regular route back to SD will be the way to go still in a few days time. Albeit I will have lost one of the better overtaking places through the sunken section of the bridge.....but that will be compensated by the absence of the larger delivery vehicles that ply that route and slow one down at times.

Are the rag and bone beat up pick ups loaded with metal and mattresses banned too? I can only hope.

They will have to get the piling rig onto the other side along with concrete trucks so expect further temporary improvements.

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Does anyone have more detailed info about Las Galeras? I know it was hit pretty hard. Looking for info pics videos anything thanks

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
 I havent read the whole tread, sorry if I am repeating. I arrived at SD yesterday and had to drive thru San Francisco to get home at the NC. Autopista "Nueva" seems to have Problems. 
Magante was like Odyssey's  Ithaka to me .... 5 hour drive.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
 I havent read the whole tread, sorry if I am repeating. I arrived at SD yesterday and had to drive thru San Francisco to get home at the NC. Autopista "Nueva" seems to have Problems. 
Magante was like Odyssey's  Ithaka to me .... 5 hour drive.

According to today's DR1 daily news, the SD - Samana highway is now open again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That river floods regularly - i have driven thru it at times and been stopped at other times.

Mudslides are another problem close to Nagua.... Los Haites Park area

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JIC this has not been posted before....no, I did not reat
d the 17 previous pages.

Yesterday I went to La Ensenada up at Punta Rucia. The road was fine, with some evidence of runoff damage. The worst section was one down near Villa Isabela where the rains from months ago did away with the road and there is a short 50 yard detour. Other than that it was a beautiful.

However, coming back, with dear Learner's Permit wife driving (GULP) I was able to see the huge flooding of the area around Mao and further west. Massive...Like someone said to the NYT over in Puerto Rico (parapharsing): "Platanos are 12 pesos and when they are scarce, they go way up. But now there will just be no platanos."
While I do not thing we lost the entire crop, consumers will take a hit for sure...

HB, still living here....

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
d the 17 previous pages.

Yesterday I went to La Ensenada up at Punta Rucia. The road was fine, with some evidence of runoff damage. The worst section was one down near Villa Isabela where the rains from months ago did away with the road and there is a short 50 yard detour. Other than that it was a beautiful.

However, coming back, with dear Learner's Permit wife driving (GULP) I was able to see the huge flooding of the area around Mao and further west. Massive...Like someone said to the NYT over in Puerto Rico (parapharsing): "Platanos are 12 pesos and when they are scarce, they go way up. But now there will just be no platanos."
While I do not thing we lost the entire crop, consumers will take a hit for sure...

agriculture sure is the big looser on the Irma/Maria Game,
specially as we already had long time real heavy floodings during the end of last year.
that was ar no recovered when now the 2 storms brought mor floodings.
and as unbelievable it may sound, we got lucky with the watering of both storms.
Irma was a completely dry Hurricane and Maria left us only a small fraction of waterloads behind of what it is carrying now.
if Maria would have slowed down to a 5-6mphr pace from PR til now, we would had received 3-4 times the rains that we got.
those heavy rains built up while Maria was already on it's way out of here.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Social Plan begins delivery of household appliances to families affected by Hurricane Maria

Two thousand five hundred families benefit in Miches, Hato Mayor, Arenoso and San Francisco de Macorís

THE SEIBO. The director of the Social Plan of the Presidency, Iris Guaba, made the first deliveries in Miches and Hato Mayor, while other teams of the institution carried out the same in San Francisco de Macorís and Arenoso.

In compliance with the guidelines of President Danilo Medina, the Social Plan began delivering the articles, in the areas that were most affected, bringing families, refrigerators, stoves, televisions, bedding, sheets, sets of dishes, between other household items.

"We have come as promised by President Danilo Medina, to restore some tranquility to those who lost their belongings in the recent rains and floods. After doing the house-to-house surveys, then today we began the part of responding to the needs of the basic articles for the homes of the affected families. We started in Miches and Hato Mayor personally, considering the magnitude of the damages left by Hurricane Maria, "said Guaba.

Guaba, who after starting the deliveries in Miches, moved to Hato Mayor to implement the delivery operations, also ensuring that house-to-house food delivery operations will continue, until the communities return to normal.

In each one of the localities where the work of delivery to the families began, the operatives are led by the Provincial Governor along with other authorities of the communities, together with the work teams of the Social Plan.

In this regard, it was reported that in Miches, deliveries will be made for the benefit of 278 families; in Hato Mayor 448 and between San Francisco de Macorís and Arenoso, another 1,700 for a total of 2,486 homes positively impacted.

During the week the same actions will be carried out in Moca, Montecristi, Castañuelas, Nagua, Samaná, Cabrera, among other municipalities, to give a total response to every Dominican who is waiting for the friendly hand of the Government.

Guaba, reported that in order to make deliveries of all kinds of assistance that the institution carries out in these cases, first an assessment of damage is done house by house without discrimination of any kind, when the waters have lowered the level in flooded areas.

"We go once there is access to homes, visiting house by house, assessing damages and determining needs. A separate file is opened with the head of household certificate, address and contact number. Once the CAASD has helped with the cleanings in the streets and in the homes, then we started the deliveries once more by visiting house by house, with all the equipment that had been requested, "said Guaba.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...amilias-afectadas-por-huracan-maria-LE8251782

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
d the 17 previous pages.

They didn't just open the Taveras dam they opened Moncion too - first time in 20 years. I went to look at it and to see that amount of water pouring out to flood all the towns and villages below was heartbreaking.

Matilda