Agora mall

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
There's new Mall project for the DR coming soon... This one promises to be so large that may as well be called a whole different thing than a Mall...

As far as I've been told this is part of what's to be found there:

An indoors skiing/snowboarding facility with professional bobsledding and luge tracks included:
meadowlands-xanadu.jpeg

ski-dubai-1.jpg

5.1236273180.indoor-skiing-in-dubai.jpg

A professional indoors ice rink that's able to host world class competitions and events like figure skating, ice hockey, short track speed skating, etc...:
1.1275149661.ice-rink.jpg

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
A ski resort in Santo Domingo. I don't believe that.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
A ski resort in Santo Domingo. I don't believe that.

Well... That's the point! It will not be a "resort" in the touristic poles, but a Mall (one of the kind) smacked in the whereabouts of SD... This is a huge project that's undeniably very, very ambitious...

Would I pay to use those facilities in the DR? You bet!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
The mall is exactly what this country needs... :tired:

donP

yep..... another place for the bored kids of santo domingo to hang out on saturday and sunday evenings.

does anyone ever buy anything at any of these shopping centres?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
There's new Mall project for the DR coming soon... This one promises to be so large that may as well be called a whole different thing than a Mall...

As far as I've been told this is part of what's to be found there:

An indoors skiing/snowboarding facility with professional bobsledding and luge tracks included:
meadowlands-xanadu.jpeg

ski-dubai-1.jpg

5.1236273180.indoor-skiing-in-dubai.jpg

A professional indoors ice rink that's able to host world class competitions and events like figure skating, ice hockey, short track speed skating, etc...:
1.1275149661.ice-rink.jpg
I knew some of those pictures looked familiar. They are the same ones used in the propaganda to promote Xanadu in the Meadowlands. Lets see.... Ground broken in 2004, completion??????? That does sound like a Dominican project.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
The added bonus of the system for AGORA is that they'll have large screens that inform the drivers of how many vacant spots are available in that sector and what's waiting ahead, so drivers will be able to make the call to go ahead and have a sure spot to park at just ahead instead of waiting as you said. But this is something that happens all over the world and I think will be with us for as long as there are private vehicles and parking facilities...

I was also surprised to read on Pricesmart anchor store there!

What source stated Pricemart as an anchor? The mall is co-owned by CCN, owners of Jumbo.

I would bet money that information is incorrect.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I knew some of those pictures looked familiar. They are the same ones used in the propaganda to promote Xanadu in the Meadowlands. Lets see.... Ground broken in 2004, completion??????? That does sound like a Dominican project.

"That project came to a halt after a subsidiary of bankrupt Lehman Brothers missed payments, causing other lenders to withdraw from the project, and lost $500 million worth of construction funding."

The skiing facility is pretty much 90% done:
800px-Xanadu_Indoor_Ski.JPG

The rest is also 90% on the first phases:
800px-Xanadu.JPG

"On April 29, 2011 Triple Five Group and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority completed a deal, with Triple Five assuming ownership of the mall and renaming it to "American Dream Meadowlands", with an opening date of Autumn 2013, months before the Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium, just across the highway. The deal was officially announced on May 3, 2011 and it was announced Triple Five had secured land across the highway from the mall to construct a domed theme park and water park, opening in the Spring of 2014."

Main attractions

• SkiDome: A 250,000 sq ft (23,000 m2) indoor ski/snowboard slope that will be open year round. It will be the first indoor ski/snowboard slope in the U.S and feature equipment rentals, a working chairlift, ski lessons, and a ski bar.
  • Skydiving Simulator: A skydiving simulator and Vertical wind tunnel.

• Indoor Ice Rink: an indoor ice rink open to the public with ice skating lessons and occasional touring shows.
  • Live Performing Arts Theater: a 3,000 capacity live theater that will hold concerts and other live performances.
  • Amusement Park: A full-scale, climate controlled, indoor theme park open year-round under a glass dome.
  • Water Park: A full scale, climate controlled, indoor water park open year-round under a glass dome.
  • Movie Theater: An upscale 26-screen movie theater with 5,000 seats and a rooftop lounge overlooking New York City. It will be the largest movie theater in the Northeast.

bc523a84_XanaduMeadowlandsAerial5_08.jpg

20110503_xanadu-mall_33.jpg

If you think about it, for the DR this project would provide good returns for those involved! Being that there's nothing close to reference it here and the already high number of visitors from abroad...

Aug 19, 2004
The mall is exactly what this country needs... :tired:

donP

Agree - you just can't have enough shopping malls.

BTW how can a mall with 1,800 car parking spaces be considered green. I assume they are also building a bus station/hub that can link up to the feeder bus system.

Aug 19, 2004
Being that there's nothing close to reference it here and the already high number of visitors from abroad...

You will need to cost in a high speed rail link from Punta Cana.

At least it would make a change for the tourists going on trips to give out pens and supplies to local schools.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So is there any truth to the rumor that Miguel Vargas Maldonado is THE major player in Agora Mall? Heard it from some people when I was down there.