American Couple Arrested in Cabarete

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Pretty sure that their Dominican companion knew what they were doing was illegal. So no excuse except for "sorry I'm stupid and did not know I should not be in the water during a hurricane". The law was all over the news and the dominican grapevine plus the COE sent it out to all smart phone via orange an claro.

I call foul, i live here and was out in the hurricane at the beach having a look, no signs or notices or talk of being prosecuted if step foot in the ocean, its the usual scam. if they want or care to catch law breakers, they can find that on the street every minute. This is exactly what it looks like.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Good- when jackasses do stupid **** like this - someone has to try to save them or at least retrieve the bodies - taking away resources from the rest of the people during a potential emergency so you can brag to your friends that you swam in a hurricane is ****ing selfish as well as stupid - hope they get jail- then drown

Yeah, thats what the police were thinking when they came to the rescue. lol

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Don't swim in the water, but you can drive after consuming 20 beers and stopping at the intersection to pee pee in the street.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I call foul, i live here and was out in the hurricane at the beach having a look, no signs or notices or talk of being prosecuted if step foot in the ocean, its the usual scam. if they want or care to catch law breakers, they can find that on the street every minute. This is exactly what it looks like.

What did you and the others agreeing with f12 think when they received the notice from COE that the beaches and rivers were closed? also was reported on all the news channels.

I know here is SD that the police were monitoring the Malecon while it was closed.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I can see telling them to get out of the water, But arresting them is un-called for. They should have done like they did in Florida. If you go out in the storm you do so at your own peril, don't call for help.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
I agree that arresting them might be a bit much, but if they where told not to before hand then that another thing. If they had drowned would their family blame them or Dominican paradise?!?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What did you and the others agreeing with f12 think when they received the notice from COE that the beaches and rivers were closed? also was reported on all the news channels.

I know here is SD that the police were monitoring the Malecon while it was closed.

Well, we don't know if they were residents or tourists. Although we spend many months in DR each year, we don't subscribe to COE notices, which I assume are in Spanish, which not all Americans would comprehend anyway. Common sense would dictate to most people...stay out of the water. I just think it's a little overboard to arrest them. Full disclosure: Mr. AE disagrees with me. :)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Well, we don't know if they were residents or tourists. Although we spend many months in DR each year, we don't subscribe to COE notices, which I assume are in Spanish, which not all Americans would comprehend anyway. Common sense would dictate to most people...stay out of the water. I just think it's a little overboard to arrest them. Full disclosure: Mr. AE disagrees with me. :)

I don't subscribe to COE notices either, they just show up on my phone! Orange must send out to all their customers. But their Dominican companion would have known. Agree with Mr. AE. :knockedou

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the pictures and videos from their arrest shows it took place after dusk and the couple was in their underwear. maybe they did not go into the water to swim...

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Some people are just seeking excuses for what is just poor behaviour .. all the media carried notices about swimming but even if they did not the simple fact that there was no one else swimming should have alerted anyone to the fact that the chances were the beaches were closed . They deserve, in my opinion, exactly what they got .

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Some of you lot still have no idea how this country works.
This is nothing to do with safety or obeying the unnecessary bye-laws.Just the usual shake-down that didn't work out..

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I thought we have Tourist Police. I still don't know what they do, even after all these years. I guess they don't put signs up or tell people not to go in.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What did .... think when they received the notice from COE that the beaches and rivers were closed? also was reported on all the news channels.

Tourists and many expats do not watch the local news. Some expats don't even have a cell phone to receive the COE alerts.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. A hastily erected sign for those that are able to and do read read it, would likely just become more flying debris during the storm if not made of strong material and secured in a concrete footing which would never be found again and would be tripping hazards when covered by sand weeks down the road. Such signs would be expensive to make, put in place, later remove and store for infrequent use.

If you are at the beach and there is not a single person in the water, a smart individual would question why unless they already knew the answer.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I thought we have Tourist Police. I still don't know what they do, even after all these years. I guess they don't put signs up or tell people not to go in.

Their role is to arrest hookers who are carrying out a legal activity and shake down tourists when they get the chance. Oh, and I think I once saw them arresting a pick-pocket.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Its just the way of the land shake down is a part of the process here thank god the usually shake down is only FEW PESOS.. One speeding ticket in that states will cost you dearly..I pay the shake down with a smile even ask for a receipt

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tourists and many expats do not watch the local news. Some expats don't even have a cell phone to receive the COE alerts.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. A hastily erected sign for those that are able to and do read read it, would likely just become more flying debris during the storm if not made of strong material and secured in a concrete footing which would never be found again and would be tripping hazards when covered by sand weeks down the road. Such signs would be expensive to make, put in place, later remove and store for infrequent use.

If you are at the beach and there is not a single person in the water, a smart individual would question why unless they already knew the answer.

to paraphrase your friend Pete Trudeau....
Never credit the public with any intelligence.............

actual quote was 'voting' public

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This was a judgement call and PN made the right call.
I'll go out on a limb here and say they arrested these idiots
in order to prevent other like-minded idiots from doing the
same thing.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
BTW the COE warnings were posted on DR1 news in English on Wednesday. If you live by the ocean no matter the country green means ...ok to swim, yellow is a warning and red means... do not swim. The fact they used poor judgement not being informed is on them. Whether the Cestur took advantage is a whole different discussion.